PDA

View Full Version : alcohol stove efficency problems

johnnyblisters
05-23-2006, 22:27
I have constructed many stoves, various sizes and shapes to accomidate my snowpeak trek 700 Ti mug. Currently i am using a redbull can stove and getting petty results. My goal is to have 2 cups of water boiling on a half ounce of fuel. I am getting a 10 minute burn time on one oz. and boiling around 8 minutes. If i change pots (i.e. anti gravity gear 3 cup HA pot) will that improve my stoves efficency?(the snow peak is so narrow...)
any imput on different stoves i could construct with a better fuel efficency with my pot, or with the AGG pot?

Skidsteer
05-23-2006, 22:49
Describe your windscreen setup.

You should be within reach of a 2 cup/1/2 oz boil with a red bull(ion?) stove on a Snowpeak 700. But a windscreen can make a big difference.

JimM
05-23-2006, 23:23
I made a couple of super cat stoves using the templates that have been posted online, and was experimenting with them tonight. I filled my MSR ti kettle with water, and used 1 oz. of Heet as fuel. The water reached a boil at approx. 9 minutes, and the stove maintained a flame for about 12 minutes. I was in the garage and didn't use a windscreen. I was pretty impressed with the simplicity and efficiency of the design. I use trangia and turbo IID stoves also.
Jim

jasonklass
05-24-2006, 21:05
I have constructed many stoves, various sizes and shapes to accomidate my snowpeak trek 700 Ti mug. Currently i am using a redbull can stove and getting petty results. My goal is to have 2 cups of water boiling on a half ounce of fuel. I am getting a 10 minute burn time on one oz. and boiling around 8 minutes. If i change pots (i.e. anti gravity gear 3 cup HA pot) will that improve my stoves efficency?(the snow peak is so narrow...)
any imput on different stoves i could construct with a better fuel efficency with my pot, or with the AGG pot?

The answer: probably. The Trek 700 is too narrow for a sideburner. Most of the heat is wasted by going up the sides. I get a 9:30 boil time for 2 cups of water in a Trek 700 and a total burn time of 11:30 on half an ounce of alcohol with the tea light stove. If you want to use that pot, you need to use something that focuses the flame more on the bottom of the pot. Any side burner will work better with a wider pot like the AGG. Try a setup like this with your 700 and see if you get a more effecient result (notice how the flame is focused on the bottom): http://practicalbackpacking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273