PDA

View Full Version : Hilltop House Inn

trailfinder
05-24-2006, 12:05
Has anyone stayed at the Hilltop House Inn? Is it located in Harper's Ferry, WV? What are the hiker rates?? Spartan rooms?? Any information that anyone can share with me would be appreciated.

Thanks!

K0OPG
05-24-2006, 19:25
I stayed at the HHHotel but not as a hiker. The room rate for a regular guest is kinda steep. Like 80.00. The 2005 thru-hiker's companion states the rates as follows: $40 for single, $45 double, $10 follar each additional person. Phone number is 1-800-338-8319.

The food is buffet style and it's pretty damn good.

Hope this helped some.

Sparkplug
05-24-2006, 21:10
We stayed at the Hilltop House last year on our hike. Our work had gotten us a gift certificate for a room there, so I don't know the rates however!

But it was a great place to stay, a pretty close walk to ATC offices and the "town" of Harpers Ferry. As coopdog said, the buffet is pretty good too, and great views of the river from the dining room :-) All in all, a nice place for a zero day.

-Sparkplug :-)

Claudia
05-25-2006, 20:16
Stayed there last year. The hiker room is pretty crumby for the price. Only one double bed. I'm not sure, but the bathroom may be shared with another hiker room (I was the only hiker there that night.) The bath room is very narrow and the sink is the smallest I've ever seen in a hotel. Shower only. Beat most shelters though. Lovely location, but if you're hiking you've seen better.

Jack Tarlin
05-25-2006, 20:30
Geez, Claudia, how many double beds do you need? Were you entertaining a rugby team?

The Hilltop is a fine place. Some of the rooms, in truth, are a little run-down, but it's not that bad. The location is great, the staff is very friendly, the food is excellent, the views are spectacular.

Not all rooms have shared baths. If in doubt, ask. There are rooms with more than one double bed if you need one. If in doubt, ask first. Likewise, if you need a room with a bathtub, ask.

Ooooh, time for full disclosure. I almost forgot. Some of the rooms have really small sinks and sometimes, a very narrow bathroom.

My God, have they no shame??

For heaven's sake, people, lighten up.

The Hilltop ain't the Hotel Australia, but one could do a lot worse.

Frosty
05-25-2006, 20:51
I really wish we could allow posters to express opinions here without being personally attacked. If others disagree, feel free to express an opposing opinion, but getting personal and using ridicule is absolutely unnecessary, and tends to keep people from posting an opinion. In this case a fairly new member (13 posts) will likely think twice about offering another opinion.

And that isn't what WB should be about.

Lone Wolf
05-25-2006, 21:00
I find nothing wrong with Claudia's post.

Claudia
05-25-2006, 21:02
My reference "only one double bed" was because rooms are sometimes shared with fellow hikers and costs split. The hotel does have some lovely rooms but the $40 hiker room is not one of them. As for that rugby team.....

ARambler
05-25-2006, 23:06
I've enjoyed stays the last two years. However, I here they are no longer giving a hiker discount or it is just on the one or two rooms. You should check ahead. I also learned that the Hostel has stopped thru hiker discounts and are a couple of bucks higher than the book. My information is two weeks old.
Rambler

Jack Tarlin
05-26-2006, 11:06
Gee, Frosty, I seem to remember a few of your posts in the past that weren't exactly warm and cuddly, particularly a few directed towards Ron Haven, and a few sent my way as well.

Your admonition against personal comments would sure hold up better if you yourself weren't guilty of precisely what you're bleating about.

And my comments weren't personal.....It's just that I thought Claudia's post was pretty whiny. She called the place crumby, complained about the width of the beds, and was outraged because the sink was small.

My gracious, what a horrible experience this must have been!!

Claudia said that if you're a hiker, you've seen better places.

Believe me, there are plenty that are lots worse.

The Hilltop has served hikers well for many years, but high-maintenance folks might want to avoid it, especially those who require oversized sinks.

K0OPG
05-26-2006, 11:22
Damn, I swore i was going to skip posts with jack ranting/slamming people! Sucked in again.

Just have to be more carefull from now on.

the goat
05-26-2006, 11:38
i stayed there in '03. this place, while not my favorite place, was the nicest i stayed in on the whole trail. the accomodations were top notch for a trail stop....i don't know where claudia has been staying but i didn't see any nicer on the AT. i shared a room w/ 2 other hikers, there were two beds in the room.

also: in the morning there was no hot water for the showers. we simply mentioned it (we didn't whine or complain) to the clerk at the front desk. he insisted that we stay and have sunday brunch on the house (probably 'cause we were the only ones who didn't b!tch him out over it). he sat the three of us hiker trash at the nicest table with the best view for our free brunch & the food was excellent.....although i doubt the clerk had any idea how much free food he was about to give away:D

Footslogger
05-26-2006, 11:53
The Hilltop is more convenient however as an alternative you can consider the AYH (American Youth Hostel) just outside of town. Large kitchen for "cook your own" meals, comfortable bunks and good showers. Caretakers may change from year to year but in 2003 they were great and shuttled hikers back and forth to town throughout the day. It is accessible via small trail off the towpath.

'Slogger

Sly
05-26-2006, 14:35
For you history buffs, the Hilltop House was site of the original Ruck (Ruck zero) back in '97....

http://friends.backcountry.net/ruck/HIS/history.html

I remember someone saying they intended on opening a hostel in HF and came here looking for tips. Anyone know if anything came of the idea.