PDA

View Full Version : Tarp?

Claudia
05-24-2006, 12:38
Here is my dumb question de jour.
I just got my HH and slept in it last night. Okay, tried to sleep. I read about folks getting a bigger tarp for their hammocks. Is this because of rain comming in, wind, or more dry area for stuff. Once I got in it sure seemed like my butt (low point) would get wet unles rain came straight down. I have an 8X10 siltarp. Should I change out to that?:-?

SuperTroll
05-24-2006, 12:54
and when you pack up the Hammock, only place the hammock body in the snake skins....the last item you pack up should be the tarp, that way, when you are not using the hammock to sleep or rest, you have a dry place to hang out, cook, pack up the pack, etc....the hammock hangs above rolled in the skins until time for bed...then it's a quick set up to rack out....

the tarp can be hung on a para cord ridgeline to keep it from sagging....unless you opt for a catenary cut oversize tarp from the manufacturer...... :)

jazilla
05-24-2006, 13:02
I got a Campmor tarp 9x9 with my HH. But this is due to the fact that I bought mine with out the standard. I find it gives me ample room under but have not experienced bad weather as of yet.

Just Jeff
05-24-2006, 13:19
You can make it through a storm with the stock tarp, but it doesn't leave much room for error. It's just more comfortable with the extra space of a larger tarp - cooking, dressing, etc.

SuperTroll
05-24-2006, 13:21
I've been Hammocking for three years now, in all sorts of weather, hung out in severe weather (Tornadic), and never gotten so much as damp.....I use a 10 X 10 Sil Nylon Tarp, with a second ridgeline....I opted for the huge tarp with the hammock because I use the tarp as a shelter from the rain while cooking and hanging around the fire in the evening.....when I'm in camp with tenter's, it's my tarp we all congregate under if it rains...

Rain Man
05-24-2006, 16:20
Once I got in it sure seemed like my butt (low point) would get wet unles rain came straight down. ...

I have the tarp that came with my HH A-Sym Ultra-Light. I agree, it sure seems I'll be getting wet unless the rain is a nice calm shower with no breeze.

However, if the rain is being blown anything off center, I have no idea how a hammocker stays dry. I've yet to be out in a storm with it.

Rain:sunMan

Seeker
05-24-2006, 16:43
I have the tarp that came with my HH A-Sym Ultra-Light. I agree, it sure seems I'll be getting wet unless the rain is a nice calm shower with no breeze.

However, if the rain is being blown anything off center, I have no idea how a hammocker stays dry. I've yet to be out in a storm with it.

Rain:sunMan .

no worries... it works fine. just make sure you've got the side tie outs tied or staked out. then make sure the corners of the tarp are clipped to the tieouts, holding the two parts (hammock and tarp) close together. i've survived a couple southern downpours without getting wet. wind was blowing too. i prefer a larger tarp, but have no fear using the stock tarp. experience in the back yard during rainstorms is invaluable.

PKH
05-25-2006, 14:42
Having gone through all that, I would recommend an 8 X 10 silnylon tarp. You'll feel much more secure and you will stay dry. Yes, the fitted fly can work for you, but you really have to be careful. One little mistake in a horizontal rain, and you've got water in your hammock. Go with the larger tarp, and I suggest tying it off to the trees rather than the hammock line.
The other great benefit is the larger tarp provides a superlative cooking shelter in foul weather.

Cheers,

PKH

Spock
05-25-2006, 23:10
I use a 5x9.5 poncho/cape over my hammock set in an A-frame and tied to the trees, not the hammock. Gives plenty of coverage.

warren doyle
05-26-2006, 10:31
One person - 7x9' nylon tarp
Two people - 8x10' nylon tarp
Walmart has very inexpensive silnylon material in their fabric department for $1 a yard. Just bought enough for a 6x12' tarp for $3.33 and with grommets, cords, cord tighteners and stakes = total cost about $15 for what outfitters would sell for $100-125.
Backpacking equipment/footwear/clothing doesn't have to be expensive if you use Walmart and thrift stores/yard sales.
I don't respect the 'Leave No Trace' advocates who are sponsored by corporations and who don't practice 'reuse/recycle' when outfitting themselves.

Jack Tarlin
05-26-2006, 10:58
Since you don't approve of corporate sponsorship of "Leave No Trace", Warren, perhaps you'll tell us how much you've contributed to the organization as an individual.

"Leave No Trace" is a fine organization which does a great deal of good.

It deserves our support and I applaud individuals---and also businesses or corporations---that contribute to Leave No Trace's efforts.

mingo
05-26-2006, 13:22
nobody cares whether you applaud it or not, jackie. on the other hand, i thought warren's post was helpful

Jack Tarlin
05-26-2006, 17:08
Hey, Mingo....some time you should add up all your posts here to WB that are about ME.....as opposed to the handful that are about anything else, or any that contribute anything useful.

You need to get a new hobby. Your old one is getting tired.

hogn8r
05-27-2006, 01:28
Well, I'm not getting in the middle of that...

However, on the tarp issue. Bigger is better. But everyone has a preference on size. Just like much of our gear, one size does not always fit all. I use a 10 X 10 silNyl cat cut tarp I built. I love the coverage and like SuperTroll stated, my tarp becomes the hangout in bad storms. The stock HH tarp will keep you dry, but if you like a little room to roam, you will need a bigger one. You just hafta figure out how much added weight you are willing to carry for the added benefits.

funbun
05-27-2006, 02:03
no worries... it works fine. just make sure you've got the side tie outs tied or staked out. then make sure the corners of the tarp are clipped to the tieouts, holding the two parts (hammock and tarp) close together...

Or just get a bigger tarp. I made a 10 x 10 tarp for my Speer style hammock. I haven't tested it in the rain yet, Hasn't rained much, lol.

bearbag hanger
05-27-2006, 16:15
I used the standard canopy that comes with the ULB-Asym during my 2004 and never had a problem. I probably road out 3 or 4 windy rain storms in the thing. I've since replaced the canopy with a JacksRBetter 8X8 tarp and it gives me a lot more room underneath. My primary reason for replacing the canopy was the stardard canopy doesn't do well when you have to set up on the ground. An 8X10 would be even better, if you don't mind the extra weight.

nutlub
05-28-2006, 07:57
I bought one of these tarps for my HH that was recomended by Neo and so far it works great.

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=97247

I like the camo patern... It really makes me feel hidden when I am stealth camping. :-)

Camper101
05-28-2006, 20:30
Hey everyone, so I decided to make a tarp for my hammock, since it seems to be the cheapest way and I then can customize it. So today i went out to get some Silnylon. Well asking the sales people felt like I was buying a ticket for insanity because no one knew what it was. I look at walmart and Fabric land for now, I have a few places that I might look but other then that I have nothing. Is there another name for silnylon? :confused:

....See you on the trail....

titanium_hiker
05-28-2006, 20:44
the best way to get silnylon is on the web, sadly... you could try "silicone impregnated nylon"

titanium_hiker

funbun
05-28-2006, 22:26
the best way to get silnylon is on the web, sadly... you could try "silicone impregnated nylon"

titanium_hiker

He's right. Most fabric shops around town are people who are into making dresses or quilts, not outdoor gear.

Here are a couple places you can get silnylon:
http://www.owfinc.com/
http://www.therainshed.com/

BTW, sometimes it's called ripstop nylon; that's usually the urethane coated or noncoated verions.

Skidsteer
05-28-2006, 22:31
He's right. Most fabric shops around town are people who are into making dresses or quilts, not outdoor gear.

She's right.

titanium_hiker

funbun
05-28-2006, 22:40
O, sorry:o

Just Jeff
05-29-2006, 03:56
Hehe - nice old ladies at fabric stores have no idea about the stuff we're looking for. At least none of them I've met. I did meet one once how knew what ripstop nylon was, but she didn't believe me that they made waterproof ripstop.

If you find it in Walmart, it'll be in the $1/yd bin/rack/table. And it won't be labeled, and you'll be lucky if it's there, especially if it's not a Super Walmart.

So yeah - the best places are online. There's a list of places on my website: http://www.tothewoods.net/JeffsHikingPage.html .

titanium_hiker
05-29-2006, 04:45
Thanks Skidsteer! -don't panic though funbun- it happens a lot. :) something about internet anonymity or something.

titanium_geek

titanium_hiker
05-29-2006, 04:47
oh- and the best way to find stuff is to take in an example of what you want- a silnyl stuff sack would be handy to demonstrate what you want.

titanium_hiker (geek is alternative moniker and I get them mixed up... :) )

latte
05-29-2006, 15:18
I just tested out my new HH explorer. I used the tarp that comes standard with the hammock. It rained torrentialy for an hour. Most of the tenters had moved into an outdoor pavillion which almost flooded. Your typical Alabama downpour. I never even noticed and I stayed dry.

hogn8r
05-29-2006, 23:49
I love watching them run for cover. Especially if they were looking at me like I was stupid for setting up my hammock. Don't get me wrong, I feel bad for 'em, but, I just love it, and I can't help it. :D

funbun
05-30-2006, 00:42
I just tested out my new HH explorer. I used the tarp that comes standard with the hammock. It rained torrentialy for an hour. Most of the tenters had moved into an outdoor pavillion which almost flooded. Your typical Alabama downpour. I never even noticed and I stayed dry.

You're from Alabama? I'm in Tuscaloosa. Which part are you from? I wanted to test my homemade hammock in the rain today, but I had work.

neo
05-30-2006, 21:03
Here is my dumb question de jour.
I just got my HH and slept in it last night. Okay, tried to sleep. I read about folks getting a bigger tarp for their hammocks. Is this because of rain comming in, wind, or more dry area for stuff. Once I got in it sure seemed like my butt (low point) would get wet unles rain came straight down. I have an 8X10 siltarp. Should I change out to that?:-?

here is a good tarp:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7105&catid=member&imageuser=3462

latte
06-14-2006, 01:27
You're from Alabama? I'm in Tuscaloosa. Which part are you from? I wanted to test my homemade hammock in the rain today, but I had work.

Pelham. Good luck testing the hammock. So far I've only experimented with tents.

funbun
06-14-2006, 01:37
Pelham. Good luck testing the hammock. So far I've only experimented with tents.

I finally did get a chance to test the tarp in the rain and it works fine, better than I though really.