PDA

View Full Version : North Face Skareb?

rswanson
05-24-2006, 12:49
I'm in the market for a new pack. I've been looking at the North Face Skareb 55, it seems to have everything I need at a decent weight. Anyone have comments on this pack?

jazilla
05-24-2006, 13:05
Been looking at them also. I think it looks like a sound pack. I would like to add that I would probably have one if the wife would let.

Gray Blazer
05-24-2006, 14:19
Been looking at them also. I think it looks like a sound pack. I would like to add that I would probably have one if the wife would let.
C'mom, don't you wear the pants in the family....at least out in public?:rolleyes:

jazilla
05-24-2006, 16:34
Heck no! I am a firm believer in, If momma ain't , nobody's happy. She is a pistol ( the reason for me marrying her) and knows how to make my life miserable if she is pissed..

SloHiker
05-24-2006, 16:35
I've put my hands on the 40-liter version of this pack and it looks pretty good. My understanding is that the 40 & 55 have the same features and suspension system, just a different size "bag". The roll-top seems to designed correctly, and the suspension seems more than adequate for a pack this size. If I recall correctly, the pack even had built-in raincover. The 40-liter Skareb I fondled was a size Medium and I generally wear a Large, so I can't comment on fit, comfort, etc. NF quality has been slipping for years, but this pack looked OK for price. If I can ever try on a "55" in size Large, I may give it a try myself.

farmecologist
06-02-2006, 13:53
I have the Skareb 55. It is a really well built pack compared to some of the other packs in it's class. It isn't flimsy at all. Yes, it also includes a rain cover. However, it is a bare bones pack. No sleeping bag compartment or extra fluff like that. :)

I also think it has a fantastic fit. Very nice hip belt and shoulder straps. Adjustments are very easy. I would say the suspension is probably good up to 40 pounds or so ( 40 might be pushing it though ). It is probably best suited to the 'light' hiking fan. I intend to try it out on a weeklong outing to Isle Royale national park later this summer.

Shoot me a message if you would like any further info!

rswanson
06-19-2006, 14:06
As a follow up, I went ahead with this pack. I wanted a pack under 3 pounds (at 2 pounds 15 ounces, the Skareb 55 just fits this) that was more durable than the average silnylon ultralight pack. Addtionally, I needed the flexibility to carry up to 40 pounds on occasion without overwhelming the pack's weight capacity. I'm using the medium size; I'm on the margin between medium and large (20 inch torso length).

The pack fits me well, especially considering I have fairly broad shoulders and often have problems with pack straps fitting uncomfortably around the sides of my chest. I didn't notice this with the Skareb. The waist belt seems sufficient for loads in the mid- 30-lb. range. The pack is stable and snug uphill and downhill and seems to stay put well during limited the scrambling I had a chance to undertake. With its streamlined shape and load control, I think the Skareb would work well for skiing and climbing alike. The capacity is decent enough for the weight (if you're not an ultralighter, that is). The pack rolls shut like a drybag and I don't miss a floating lid style closure. The pack has a zippered compartment on top large enough for powerbars, a compass, headlamp, and other small items, but probably not rain gear.

After a few hikes, I've found the framesheet and tubular stays do a very solid job of distributing weight. The pack rides very well and the straps really allow for fine-tuning the framsheet and stays' support. The framesheet also does a great job of keeping my back cool, living up to The North Face's claims of moisture control and ventilation. The materials look more than durable enough for trail use. The pack, when new, had a few loose threads on the shoulder pad stitching but otherwise, the pack has solid fit and finish.

I've sprayed the pack down with a garden hose, both with and without the included pack cover. The pack's seams will leak, as does the cover's seams, particularly the seam running along the bottom portion of the cover. The pack and cover were subjected to fairly high water pressure during this test. I would estimate that the pack and cover would hold up to average rain shower activity, but if I expected to be in a deluge, I'd probably supplement with a pack liner.

Supposedly 'minimalist', the Skareb still has a few more bells and whistles than I feel is neccessary. I'd rather that the side pockets be constructed of mesh as I wouldn't trust the zippered compartments to hold anything that you wouldn't put in a mesh pocket, since the zippers are water repellant, not waterproof. I get the feeling the pouch-style pockets are designed more for aesthetics than functionality. The right pocket does a good job of holding a liter water bottle, secured by a small adjustable shock-cord. This is relatively easy to access while wearing the pack, even if the shock cord requires some fidgeting. The zippers on these pockets are difficult to close while wearing the pack. The large mesh pocket is a welcome addition. Overlaying this mesh is a shock cord compression system that does a decent job of cinching down a smaller volume internal load but probably not a good enough job to allow the 3,200 c.i. pack to double as a daypack. The whole system seems like overkill though, as there are side compression straps. A simpler, lighter system could be designed for cinching down the mesh back panel.

Overall, the pack functions admirably. I like the adjustablity of the pack and the overall fit. After six or seven miles in high humidty and temps nearing 100 degrees, I carried a 30 pound load with such comfort that I hardly noticed the pack on my back and that's something I've yet to say about any other pack I've worn.

Emsadida
08-16-2006, 18:53
Anybody have any extended use reviews of this bad boy yet?

rswanson
08-18-2006, 19:04
Anybody have any extended use reviews of this bad boy yet?
Well, I'll try to sum up (relatively) quickly...I have likes and dislikes. The Skareb is well made and seems to be durable. As I stated before, it's got too many bells and whistles for a 'light' pack. I can see redesigns that could easily drop probably 6-8 oz without compromising any of the pack's duarbility or functionality. The side zip pockets should be replaced with mesh, as should the entire back stuff-it pocket (its nylon w/some mesh at the sides). I can see the padded back panel being made of lighterweight material. Some parts of the pack body could be made of a lighter denier material. The rain cover does work well but if you use a water bladder, you're probably lining your pack with a trash bag (I do use one and haven't lined my pack, no issues...so far) since there is no water bladder sleeve, making the rain cover redundant.

The pack is very adjustable, sometimes to a fault. I find it hard to dial in that 'perfect comfort zone', particularilty with the waistbelt. Most annoying is the shoulder strap adjustments, which I think slip. I have to cinch thme back up every few hours. Minor issue, but still an annoyance. The pack does carry 30-35 lbs very well, though.

I do feel that for the overall weight, you should get a bit more volume. If I were shopping again, I'd probably try the Granite Gear Vapor Trail or the ULA Catalyst, the GG pack being a full pound lighter for a similar volume and the ULA having much more volume at a tad lighter weight. Both of those packs will give you similar performace and regularly get rave reviews.

general
08-18-2006, 19:26
north face customer service sucks sucks sucks

Onealpha
10-02-2006, 00:28
I love mine.

jazilla
03-06-2007, 13:27
Just wanted to revive this thread and see if anyone had anything more to say about it. I am going to REI at the end of the month on a gear run and I think this pack will make the list. Can the outside pocket hold a 3l bladder?
Are the side pouches big enough to hold a tarp? What's up with the side pocket with the divider? Would you use this pack for a winter pack?

troglobil
03-06-2007, 18:32
I was like you jazila. I loked all over for reviews of the Skareb 55, they are hard to find. I realy liked the looks of it and it seemed to fit the bill for the pack I was searching for. Unfortunately, nobody ever seems to keep them in stock to try on. I finally decded to take this as a sign. I went with the REI Ridgeline and love it. It weighs a bit more, but it has more volume for when it is needed, but it compresses down very well on small loads. Carries great and has velcfro holding the shoulder straps on so you can fine tune the fit. This feature works good for me, since I have one shoulder that sits a little lower than the other( weird; I know), I can cant the shoulder straps at an angle to get both fitting just right.

rswanson
03-06-2007, 20:06
Just wanted to revive this thread and see if anyone had anything more to say about it. I am going to REI at the end of the month on a gear run and I think this pack will make the list. Can the outside pocket hold a 3l bladder?
Are the side pouches big enough to hold a tarp? What's up with the side pocket with the divider? Would you use this pack for a winter pack?
Jazilla,

I've used the pack a fair bit now. I'm also looking to sell it (I've since gone a different direction) for much less than retail, sent you a PM. To answer your questions:

The mesh pocket on the back will easily hold a 3L bladder and then some. There are mounting hooks to hang the bladder inside and ports to run the hose out.
A tarp would be a tight fit in either of the side pockets (probably too tight even for a small tarp) but it would easily fit in the back mesh pocket with a 3L bladder, with room to spare.
The side pocket with the divider is to separate the included pack cover from the contents of the pocket. That pocket has a drain hole grommet.
There is no reason you couldn't use the pack in the winter, provided your gear will fit in the 55 liter capacity, plus back mesh pocket. The pack has a great streamlined shape if your using poles when skiing or snowshoeing.