PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a GG Vapor Trail

Hanger
05-24-2006, 16:28
I saved up my money, and I have decided to buy the Granite Gear Vapor Trail. However, there isn't a single outfitter in the Nashville area that carries the Vapor Trail in my size (regular) and says they won't be getting any in for a while. So now I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I really wanted to be able to take all my gear to an outfitter and try on the VT, but I don't think that is possible. So, my plan is to just order one from an online dealer, or maybe ebay, and return it if I don't like it. Does anyone have any suggestions of online retailers to purchase the pack from? Also, does any one know anything about the Harper's Ferry seller on ebay? Is it the same one as the actual one on the AT? I have a hard time trusting things from ebay.

Alligator
05-24-2006, 16:37
I bought a Vapor Trail from the Outfitter at HF through ebay. No problems. It's the same vendor.

Just Jeff
05-24-2006, 16:42
But it from REI and return it if you don't like it.
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47638652&parent_category_rn=4500574&vcat=REI_SEARCH

Jack Tarlin
05-24-2006, 16:48
The Harpers Ferry people are one hundred per cent reliable and reputable.

They've been in operation just yards from the Trail for a decade and have a superb repuation. In my opinion, along with the guys at Mountain Crossings/Neels Gap; Bluff Mtn. Outfitters in Hot Springs:, and Mt. Rogers Outfitters in Damascus, the Outfitter at Harpers Ferry is one of the four best gear places on the Trail, period.

By all means, try and be sure of your size and needs before ordering, but if you buy something from them, whether in person or on-line, if it isn't right, they'll make it right. Count on it.

Footslogger
05-24-2006, 16:49
I bought a Vapor Trail from the Outfitter at HF through ebay. No problems. It's the same vendor.
==============================
Great pack. Both my wife and I carry them. Used on my thru in 2003.

Another really good source is Mt Rogers Outfitters in Damascus, VA. Was just there and saw some Vapor Trails on the wall. They are typically very competitive on price and often will throw in the shipping.

Here's a link to their website. You can order on-line or give them a call.

http://www.mtrogersoutfitters.com/gear.html

If Jeff answers ...tell him Footslogger sent you ...

'Slogger

Alligator
05-24-2006, 16:58
==============================
Great pack. Both my wife and I carry them. Used on my thru in 2003.

'Slogger
6 weeks 01 days 02 hours 31 minutes until I get to use this pack.

Footslogger
05-24-2006, 17:09
6 weeks 01 days 02 hours 31 minutes until I get to use this pack.
================================
Why wait Gator ?? ...take it out for the long weekend.

Heading up in the mountains around Laramie with mine this weekend. Gonna hike in and do some trout fishin in the high elevation lakes.

By the way, we missed you at Trail Days this year !!

'Slogger

Alligator
05-24-2006, 17:33
================================
Why wait Gator ?? ...take it out for the long weekend.

Heading up in the mountains around Laramie with mine this weekend. Gonna hike in and do some trout fishin in the high elevation lakes.

By the way, we missed you at Trail Days this year !!

'SloggerLittle guy is sick. Cancelled trips both this and last weekend:(. Had an opportunity to make TD but the parts store ordered me a bum axle:mad: . Missed all my WB compatriots. Would take an overnight this weekend but the new axle is still in CA:mad: :mad: . I might try writing a country song.

Hanger, I watched for this pack from around Christmas until March maybe. The Outfitter at HF consistently had it at the lowest price, except for the one I got outbid on at ebay. There's few leftover '05 packs out there for clearance. It seems to have become a very popular pack, as the new one's are listing fairly high compared to last year.

gumball
05-25-2006, 04:59
I agree on the Outfitter in HF. Very nice people, I purchased my GG Vapor Ki this year from them and a few other things. Very reliable.

chicote
05-25-2006, 12:31
You can also look at Campsaver.com. I've bought several items from them. The have a good return policy as well. And have sales continuously too.

Footslogger
05-25-2006, 12:38
You can also look at Campsaver.com. I've bought several items from them. The have a good return policy as well. And have sales continuously too.
======================
Hmmm ...never heard of them. Who runs that business. Is it an outlet or catalogue store like Campmor ??

'Slogger

chicote
05-25-2006, 13:17
I think it's more like Campmor. I've basically lightened my load by purchasing, new packs, bags, and cookware from them. They always seem to have some kind of deal going on. Shipping is prompt and free if you spend over 50 bucks. I like that they carry Montbel and Granite Gear.

mingo
05-25-2006, 13:23
By all means, try and be sure of your size and needs before ordering

thanks for that advice, jack. it is our usual habit to buy things without considering our size or needs. you are so smart

WILLIAM HAYES
05-28-2006, 21:28
It is a great pack. I have used the vapor trail for almost two years section hiking the AT from springer to Atkins , it haas held up very well to a lot of abuse try Backcountry.com Hillbilly

Seeker
05-29-2006, 12:30
I saved up my money, and I have decided to buy the Granite Gear Vapor Trail. However, there isn't a single outfitter in the Nashville area that carries the Vapor Trail in my size (regular)

if you ever head over toward the smokies or big south fork and are close to knoxville, there are a couple locations for Blue Ridge Mountain Sports there (Bearden, Farragut, and Maryville). you can check on line to see if they carry GG, but they used to a few years back. there's also a place in Bearden called Pack and Paddle, or something like that, with an indoor climbing wall, that sells gear (both just off the interstate, West of the university section. Papermill Exit).

eddiep61
05-30-2006, 18:09
I was just in Memphis today and I was checking out Outdoors Inc. They have almost the whole Granite Gear line. It is on Germantown Parkway.

http://www.outdoorsinc.com