PDA

View Full Version : Comparison chart - hammock vs ground weights

Just Jeff
05-25-2006, 00:06
I made this chart based on some folks' setups here at WB just to compare hammock and ground setups for similar temps. It's possible to get similar weights, but hammockers generally carry a few ounces more. A hammock's benefits are worth a few extra ounces, IMO. YMMV.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockGroundWeights.html

You guys see anything else I should add?

stag3
05-25-2006, 05:44
I made a spreadsheet with almost every possible backpacking piece of gear. When I'm ready to hike, I just fill in the cells with the quantity, and magically Bill Gates calculates the weight.

Can you do something like this? The reason I suggest this is that my hammock weighht for the 30"s F is a lot less because I use the 16 oz walmart blue pad. If you can list the hammock/tent/pad items, it would let your users do their own comparison of what would work for their case.

Anyway, your comparison is good.

titanium_hiker
05-25-2006, 08:13
jeff, you could do this kind of thing easily enough using java script.

and what's the line* - there is no footnote... (risk's setups)

titanium_hiker

Footslogger
05-25-2006, 08:32
I made this chart based on some folks' setups here at WB just to compare hammock and ground setups for similar temps. It's possible to get similar weights, but hammockers generally carry a few ounces more. A hammock's benefits are worth a few extra ounces, IMO. YMMV.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockGroundWeights.html

You guys see anything else I should add?
========================
Good effot and helpful info, especially since it addresses all seasons. I've known for a while now that if you work at it you can get the weights of hammock and ground sleeping set-ups pretty similar. This type of comparison is very useful for hikers who are somewhat new to lighter weight backpacking and are trying to decide between the two approaches.

The fundamental decision a hiker needs to make here is whether they want to sleep on or off the ground AND if they prefer that method for year around backpacking.

Case in point ...I like my hammock for relatively short hikes in the warmer seasons but for long distance hikes I prefer being able to spread out a bit on the ground.

'Slogger

Just Jeff
05-25-2006, 10:32
I don't remember what the * was for...somehow my note disappeared! I'll remove it on the next upload.

stag, send me your setup and I'll include it.

I haven't done Java or web-based databases yet - maybe I'll look into that after finals...lots of papers coming up, so it'll probably be at least July before I can even consider it.