PDA

View Full Version : Thru-hiker with trail magic

White Chocolate
05-25-2006, 14:15
Hi guys,
I've decided to get off trail and I'm left with a lot of food that I'd rather donate to current thru-hikers than sell on ebay.
I've got hundreds of balance bars and granola bars.
I've also got bean and rice/cous cous, veggie pasta, chili-mac, and mashed potato dinners.

I'm about to move out west so I need to find an avenue to distribute this food to hikers.
Any ideas?

Take care,
Banshee '06 GA-VA

Footslogger
05-25-2006, 14:17
Sorry to hear you're cutting your hike short.

Where are you in Virginia ?? You could leave them in a hiker box in a town along the way and I'm certain that they would be put to good use.

'Slogger

RITBlake
05-25-2006, 14:36
give it to the red cross, thru hikers get enough trail magic

Jack Tarlin
05-25-2006, 14:41
If you're in Asheville, try and get it to Miss Janet in Erwin or Bob Peoples in Kincora. Also, Elmer's in Hot Springs is close also.

They'll make sure it gets to folks who can use it.

And this is a very nice thing you're doing, by the way.

Sly
05-25-2006, 15:22
I'm local, (off til next Wed.) and can pick it up and bring it over to Elmer's, Miss Janets and/or Kincora if you'd like.

White Chocolate
05-25-2006, 19:33
Sly,
That's a gracious offer, however, I no longer live in Asheville. I'm currently in VA. Beach; I moved my stuff here so my familiy could run my maildrops.

I'm going to drive through Johnson City on my way out to NM so I guess I could swing by Miss Janets. But, I'm not sure when I'm going to set off. And I think most hikers are north of Damascus by now.

It's a lot of food and I want it to get to the hikers.

Banshee

Jack Tarlin
05-25-2006, 20:22
Janet has hikers all spring and summer. Some are thru-hikers, some are sectioners. Doesn't matter. If you leave usable stuff there, it'll get used, and by people whoi need it. Have a great trip, and thanx again for thinking of others.

Note to RIT Blake....what's up with the "Thru Hikers get enough magic, give it to the Red Cross....?"

That's very altruistic, and almost brings a tear to the eye, but when I met you on your hike in Bennington (and I was very happy to do so, by the way), you were VERY happy to be receiving mega-magic from the cool folks who owned the Outfitter, threw the barbecue, fed you till you busted, bought the beer, etc. I don't seem to recall your mentioning the Red Cross at the time.

So now that you're home, you think there's too much magic for hikers?

What's up with that?? You seemed to like it just fine when you were hiking.......

Lone Wolf
05-25-2006, 20:55
give it to the red cross, thru hikers get enough trail magic
thru-hikers show up at mega feed lots. That's not "trail magic". There's very little trail magic these days.

Sly
05-25-2006, 21:14
Sly,
That's a gracious offer, however, I no longer live in Asheville.

That's cool. Enjoy NM.

Lilred
05-25-2006, 22:13
thru-hikers show up at mega feed lots. That's not "trail magic". There's very little trail magic these days.

Boy, do I agree with that statement. There's nothing magical about stumbling upon a hiker feed. The people giving them are truly trail angels, but in my mind, trail magic just happens at a time when the hiker needs it the most, and is rarely a planned event, if ever.

As for your generous offer, cudos to you. I'm sure you'll make many hikers very happy.

Lilred
05-25-2006, 22:20

Boy, do I agree with that statement. There's nothing magical about stumbling upon a hiker feed. The people giving them are truly trail angels, but in my mind, trail magic just happens at a time when the hiker needs it the most, and is rarely a planned event, if ever.

As for your generous offer, cudos to you. I'm sure you'll make many hikers very happy.

RITBlake
05-25-2006, 22:32
Jack, you are absolutely right. I didn't mean to come off as altruistic or unappreciative of trail magic. Even though we were southbounders we still experienced a good amount of it along the trail.

The comment I made was just an offhand remark. I was thinking that maybe some kind of relief organization could really use a donation like this, especially the store bought goods like granola bars, etc. Maybe not, I don't know. I should have left out the 'thru hikers get enough trail magic,' that was just stupid. My intentions were genuine though, I was thinking that maybe someone outside the hiking community could use this donation more then a hiker.

Having said that, I really commend White Chocolate for his effort to pass his food on to someone else. Maybe someone that wouldn't have finished otherwise will get the chance to do so, I think that is great. Dropping the food off at Miss Janet's or another hostel is a great idea.

NINpigNIN
05-25-2006, 23:11
And I think most hikers are north of Damascus by now.

I'd imagine the SOBO's haven't gotten to Damascus yet. ;)