PDA

View Full Version : Car Break-ins...

Hammock Hanger
05-25-2006, 20:29
Two women from the Women's Hiker Group went hiking after Trail Days. They were told by various people that it would be safe to park their vehicles at the local trailheads. MRO suggested "Straight Branch".

Well after 2 nice days of hiking they came down from the mountain to find that both of their cars had been broken into.

They estimate that over $500 worth of gear, CD's, dried food, etc was taken.

Just a reminder it is best NOT to have anything in your car worth stealing when parking at a roadside trailhead.

They just happen to be coming from Trail Days and were loaded with the weekend's gear and shopping goodies. :(

Lone Wolf
05-25-2006, 20:58
I can't belive someone at MRO told them it was safe to park overnight at area trailheads. They're notorious for break-ins.

Hammock Hanger
05-25-2006, 21:48
just what I was told. Maybe it was from a temp that just helped out for TDays... Regardless it sucks.

Why I hate trailheads and advoid them whenever possible.

HokeyPokey was broken into last year in NH.

Hikerhead
05-25-2006, 22:34
But I got lucky....nothing was touched for some reason. Just a smashed out window with over a 1,000.00 worth of gear in the trunk including a 800.00 camera. But now I have a phobia.

I hope someone finds your camera. Maybe they'll recognize DebW or even me.

HP

generoll
05-25-2006, 23:16
seems to me that LWOP had his car broken into at Mount Rogers when his wife came to visit him on his thru. i'm assuming that's why i never got that picture he promised me. i believe that his camera was stolen.