PDA

View Full Version : ULA Catalyst?

kevin
05-25-2006, 23:20
I'm curious if anyone has had a chance to get some miles in with the ULA Catalyst and if so, if they could offer some feedback?

sierraDoug
05-26-2006, 01:18
No, I have not gotten in any my miles with my new Catalyst. It's awaiting shipment to me. Once it gets here I'll have to find somewhere to go in the lowlands (the Sierras are too snowy for me this time of year).

Check this guy's report...
http://www.ecotrend.org.uk/trek/?p=180#comments

chris
05-26-2006, 09:58
See also my review of it in the Gear Reviews section of this website.

DawnTreader
05-26-2006, 10:03
still waiting for mine... hope it comes soon!

Pacific Tortuga
05-26-2006, 11:23
I took mine out this week for a 47 miler at our local bumps on the ground 'Cleveland National Forest'. My first reaction was a form of a controlled adrenallin high. The last time I was able to order everything to my like'in was a Dodge Power Wagon in the 70's. It was light and had a greet smell to it,not just new but the kind one might feel sticking your nose in your first real ball glove,unexplainable but you knew It was your tool to the BIGS, Williamport, PA. After 5 years of pack,body,wants and needs triage,what I've been dreaming of is here in my hands then quickly on my back.
Hit the trail with 32 lbs. 8 of it water (dry county) and it felt great with my custom shoulder straps moved out a few inches. I no longer have the digin, in my gone to seed tri-seps. It was a sweet ride with only my hips complaining a little, which I've wrote off as being new break in for now. I have some adjustments to make and more trail trials to go before the JMT in late summer.
It goes against my grain to buy a pack without trying it on first but after listening to Brian Frankel owner of ULA Equipment on pod casts well, for myself it wasn't as much a leap of faith as I thought it would be. I'm very pleased with it all so far but in a way his pack tag sums up commitment for me and the direction I want my legal tender to go: Frank writes,
"Sewn in my Garage.UT,USA" www.ulaequipment.com (http://www.ulaequipment.com) Buying local never felt better.

Footslogger
05-26-2006, 11:28
[quote=Pacific Tortuga]I took mine out this week for a 47 miler at our local bumps on the ground 'Cleveland National Forest'. My first reaction was a form of a controlled adrenallin high.
======================================

Any reason you went with the Catalyst rather than the Circuit ?? The Circuit is rated up to 35lbs. I'm asking because the Circuit caught my eye at Trail Days. Using the Vapor Trail now but it won't last forever. Wanted to keep my "empty" pack weight at 2lbs and my normal total carrying load is around 26lbs with 4 days of food and starting supply of water.

Thanks,

'Slogger

sierraDoug
05-26-2006, 13:20
Any reason you went with the Catalyst rather than the Circuit ?? The Circuit is rated up to 35lbs. I'm asking because the Circuit caught my eye at Trail Days. Using the Vapor Trail now but it won't last forever. Wanted to keep my "empty" pack weight at 2lbs and my normal total carrying load is around 26lbs with 4 days of food and starting supply of water.

Thanks,
'Slogger
For myself, I loved the sound of the Circuit but needed a pack that could carry a bear can (I backpack in the Sierras) and maybe a weeks worth of food. And I didn't want to buy a different pack for every kind of trip.

Also, I've read online that his first pack with that kind of hoop frame, the Fusion, had some problems with the frame. If I were to buy a Circuit I'd ask Brian if he had improved that part.

Footslogger
05-26-2006, 13:29
For myself, I loved the sound of the Circuit but needed a pack that could carry a bear can (I backpack in the Sierras) and maybe a weeks worth of food. And I didn't want to buy a different pack for every kind of trip.

Also, I've read online that his first pack with that kind of hoop frame, the Fusion, had some problems with the frame. If I were to buy a Circuit I'd ask Brian if he had improved that part.
==========================
Good feedback ...thanks. Ironically I own the Fusion and I did have issues with the carbon frame. Will have to check with Brian on that aspect.

'Slogger

Pacific Tortuga
05-26-2006, 13:35
[quote=Pacific Tortuga]I took mine out this week for a 47 miler at our local bumps on the ground 'Cleveland National Forest'. My first reaction was a form of a controlled adrenallin high.
======================================

Thanks,

'Slogger

I have tried to go with a light pack in the past,a Kelty Flight and it never rode or felt right to me. I dream and plan for the AT but I live near the Sierra's and bear canister laws.I wanted it all but the only thing I could find that fit well was the Gregory Baltoro 6 + lbs. With all of WB's help I couldn't justify the weight and my personal goal was 10 lbs for the "big four" With my REI dividend and 20% off I was going to go for the Gregory. I heard of and knew of Brian and ULA but I could not find one near me to see if it was "right" for me. After listening to Brian of ULA on Trailcast with redcake (Bob) I had to make a call on my new pack and I went with a well supported gut feeling. The Catalyst sounded right for most multi-day multi-trail pack trips for me with a wider range of load options.
I felt I needed to make a stand against the decline of a lot of my values as a U.S. American and buying my hiking gear is one small step in the right direction for me. I plan on buying more of Brians quality packs in the near future,just seems like these companies are bought out or can not keep up with over-sea labor costs and shut down. This is a quality pack, an owner with integrity and the right thing to do for many more reasons. Listen to Brian on Trailcast call or e-mail him talk to Mountian Crossings and other outfitters , it feels so right even when its not on your back.

Sorry about going on like this,good luck on your choice of gear and hope to see you all in 07

Hammock Hanger
05-26-2006, 17:11
Unfortunately my new Catalyst came the day after I left home for the BMT. I love how it fits me and I am partial to the roll down top. Now I have to figure out a hike to break it in. (Oops, I did tell my husband I would stay home this summer...:) )

Footslogger
05-26-2006, 17:16
Unfortunately my new Catalyst came the day after I left home for the BMT. I love how it fits me and I am partial to the roll down top. Now I have to figure out a hike to break it in. (Oops, I did tell my husband I would stay home this summer...:) )
================================
So ...it's not too big. The advertised capacity has me thinking it's a pretty big pack.

'Slogger

Hammock Hanger
05-26-2006, 17:29
The size had me worried for a long time. It took me months to come to the decision to buy this pack. My current pack a Sheripani is a 2600 cu in. I love it, small compact. On the other hand it is sometimes a tad to small. When it is cold and I have a little bulkier gear to carry I have to resort to carrying stuff on the outside. (It has no pockets)I hate stuff on the out side of my pack. -- The Circuit was my first choice but it had a drawstring top and the actual bag (not outside pockets) was 2400 cu in. Actually smaller then the bag I currently had. So I began to really look at the Catalyst. The actual bag is 2600 which is no bigger then what I have now. However, with the pockets I have places to put the extra winter gear. I consider the pockets as extra and a bonus that may or may not be used. I also liked the Dual Stay Frame-sheet. Even if I carry a small pack if there is some type of pack support that is more weight off my back.

I tried all the light light-wt ones and wasn't happy with them. I don't want a rucksack on my back. I want a nicely crafted pack. I believe that is what I got.

sierraDoug
05-26-2006, 17:53
I also liked the Dual Stay Frame-sheet. Even if I carry a small pack if there is some type of pack support that is more weight off my back.
When I called Brian to order mine I asked him some questions, like what was the second stay meant for. He said it doesn't really do anything for heavier weights, it's more for stability off trail. So I skipped it. Of course, it's up to each customer to decide for themself.

Footslogger
05-26-2006, 17:56
[quote=Hammock Hanger]The size had me worried for a long time. It took me months to come to the decision to buy this pack.
================================
Hmmmm ...well now you've got me thinking. My base of reference it the Vapor Trail so the Circuit is almost identical plus it has outside pockets. On the other hand, I'm looking for something with thoughts of the PCT where food resupply intervals are larger so the amount of food (and gear) you tend to carry would exceed the capacity of the Vapor Trail. With that in mind, even the Circuit might be too small.

It's just that I've gotten used to a 2 lb pack the size of the Vapor Trail and I really dread going back to a larger scale pack. Might have to though ...

Thanks for the feedback.

'Slogger

Hammock Hanger
05-26-2006, 17:57
is the stay the dual frame sheet????

BTW: I FOUND MY CAMERA!!!!!! Just now. I had stuck it in a stuff sack with my sleeping bag. I am so happy!!!

Hammock Hanger
05-26-2006, 18:00
I use to feel that if I had the room I would fill it. Now that I have NOT had the room and have learned to disipline myself I feel I would like that extra room for "just in case", like extra food or warmer gear. I think I have the low pack weight down to a science for me. Pack wt is never an issue for me anymore, it's just a part of me.

Footslogger
05-26-2006, 18:15
[quote=Hammock Hanger]I use to feel that if I had the room I would fill it.
====================================
That was definitely my problem until I switched to the Vapor Trail. Wish I had tried the packs on at Mt Rogers when I was at Trail Days. Much harder decision via long distance.

'Slogger

Sly
05-26-2006, 19:27
On the other hand, I'm looking for something with thoughts of the PCT where food resupply intervals are larger so the amount of food (and gear) you tend to carry would exceed the capacity of the Vapor Trail. With that in mind, even the Circuit might be too small.

You'll also have several sections where you're forced to carry copious amounts of water. 1 gallon = 1700 CI and/or 8 pounds. It's not uncommon to carry 1-1.5 gallons.

Footslogger
05-26-2006, 19:32
You'll also have several sections where you're forced to carry copious amounts of water. 1 gallon = 1700 CI and/or 8 pounds. It's not uncommon to carry 1-1.5 gallons.
===============================
OK ...that settles it, I don't need a bigger pack. I need a sherpa !!

'Slogger

Sly
05-26-2006, 19:36

'Slogger

Brush up on your spanish, you may be able to hire one cheap at the border. :p

Hammock Hanger
05-26-2006, 22:07

'Slogger

How about I hike and you Sherpa for me. This way we both get to do the trip and at least one of us will enjoy it!!:)

Footslogger
05-26-2006, 22:26
How about I hike and you Sherpa for me. This way we both get to do the trip and at least one of us will enjoy it!!:)
===================
...I may be a little dense. Which one of us would be doing all the enjoying ?

'Slogger

Hammock Hanger
05-26-2006, 22:28
===================
...I may be a little dense. Which one of us would be doing all the enjoying ?

'Slogger

Actually both. I would enjoy hiking light and you would enjoy making my hike so easy.:p

sierraDoug
05-27-2006, 01:53
is the stay the dual frame sheet????
The plastic frame sheet comes standard with one aluminum stay embedded in it. An option he offers is a frame sheet with two aluminum stays. It ways a little more and costs a little more.

Of course this is all based on reading on the web. I've never actually seen one of these beasts! (Mine is to be shipped today or Tuesday, I think.)