PDA

View Full Version : Race track off AT

Redbeard
03-06-2003, 21:00
Newspaper just had an article on a planned 2.8 mile race track less than half a mile from the Trail in Monroe County Pennsylvania. Apparently the developer has tried this before and was turned back, but he's sueing now for rights, and the court may "interprate" the Appalachian Trail Act differently. I did a search and didn't come up with anything in the forum, sorry if it's old news. Anyone else know anything?

Wilson76
03-06-2003, 21:43
Weird coincidence. I've got a meeting in Strousburg tomorrow for work. I'll ask the locals and let you in on what I hear.

Moose2001
03-06-2003, 22:57
Check the ATC website. They have quite a bit on info on what's going on and what's being done.

Grimace
03-07-2003, 09:48
There's a track , maybe not professional in CT near the hangglider launch. I remember having a snack there watching the cars gor around. It was noisy, but pretty cool to watch from up high.

Redbeard
03-07-2003, 10:37
There's an article on the ATC site under "Hot Topics" I was just surprised we got an article out here halfway across the country.

MOWGLI
03-07-2003, 10:45
The track in CT is known as Limerock. There's a big race there every July 4. When I went through there were soccer moms racing around the track in Dodge Caravans. Mundo bizzaro!

Wilson76
03-07-2003, 15:56
Word from some locals in Monroe is that there is an existing off road track and they are looking to expand it and add dirtbikes to the mix. I'll see if I can find any more info...

Redbeard
03-07-2003, 19:27
The newspaper article claimed that this particular track was going to be more of a resort for yuppies with corvettes, also a swimming pool (all that bromine/chlorine will get dumped right into the groundwater every winter if it's outdoors, your supposed to let it sit and evaporate but no one ever does) tennis court, etc.

TJ aka Teej
03-09-2003, 14:54
http://www.poconorecord.com/2003/local/exd49401.htm
Anyone interested in sending a letter, should send it to:
PA DEP, Alpine Rose proposal,
Water Management Program,
2 Public Square, Wilkes-Barre,
PA 18711. Letters can also be faxed to: (570) 830-3054.

Redbeard
03-09-2003, 17:04
Having worked at a resort with one 130000 gallon pool, indoors, and another 80000 gallon pool outdoors, I checked the EPA rules on dumping pool water, essentially it's legal to send it down whatever is considered the "sewage system". If sewage is being treated by bacteria and microrganisms and such, chlorine, put into the pool to kill microorganisms, may inhibit their ability to break down sewage, wich is then leached into the ground water/ river/ whatever. As long as a facility has a permit, they can do this (again, supposedly leaving the pool empty for the prescribed amount of time to allow chemicals to evaporate). Sorry, I just hate pools.

TJ aka Teej
03-09-2003, 22:32
The ATC has posted that Alpine Rose has now added Motorcycle racing and a proposed 100/150 room hotel to their plans.
Here's a link to the developer's website:
http://www.alpinemotorsportsclub.com/

Redbeard
03-10-2003, 10:43
If I wasn't hiking I'd bring my SHO and embarrass all those yuppie punks in their stamped out wanna be sports cars. Motorcycles? I can just see them circling on their trailor queen Harley's. If they don't have a service shop I wouldn't worry too much about excess pollution and leakage, it doesn't sound like a NASCAR situation where they'd be willing to put their baby's in danger. If they do have a shop it will take a seriously contientious technician (paid by the hour, not by the job) not to leak all over. After auto tech school and working on the line as a tech, it can be very difficult to do a lot of work without oil and coolant hitting the floor, and few shops will pay to have floor dry cleaned and recycled, so it all goes in the trash or down the drain.

TJ aka Teej
03-10-2003, 14:53
The best method for fighting localized Trail threats is to organize locally. Here's a link to the local folks fighting to save Blue Mountain. http://www.bluemtpreservation.org/

Updated news story:
http://www.post-gazette.com/healthscience/20030310racetrack0310p3.asp