PDA

View Full Version : hammock tie out cords?

Claudia
05-27-2006, 01:29
Okay, yet another dumb question. My Hennessy A-sym has stretchy tie out cord. The tarp has regular cord, Why? Am I suposed to use the same stake for both, tie one to the other or just hang myself on them? Honest, I can set my tarp up 5 different ways, but this hammock has me ...well, stupefied.

attroll
05-27-2006, 01:37
I use the same two stakes as the hammock tie outs. They do not seem to line up perfect but they do work.

hogn8r
05-27-2006, 02:18
You can use the same stakes, which keeps the tarp closer to the hammock or you can use separate stakes to get it off of the netting a little. Or you can use hiking poles or nearby trees/shrubs to get it even higher. It is a good idea to put a piece of shock absorbing material on the tarp, the slingshot tensioners work the best for me. Jeff has a complete how-to on his site about them.

bearbag hanger
05-27-2006, 15:55
Okay, yet another dumb question. My Hennessy A-sym has stretchy tie out cord. The tarp has regular cord, Why? Am I suposed to use the same stake for both, tie one to the other or just hang myself on them? Honest, I can set my tarp up 5 different ways, but this hammock has me ...well, stupefied.

The hammock tie outs are stretchy because you would pull the stakes out when you move if they weren't.

I use two stakes when setting up my ULB A-Sym. Sometimes I tie the canopy tie outs to trees to raise the canopy a little to let in more air. Other times, I use my hiking poles to raise the canopy. When it's cold, I keep the canopy close to the hammock, makes things a lot warmer.

hammock engineer
05-28-2006, 09:02
I second the tarp tensioners. I noticed a huge difference on both the stock and my McCat Tarp when I added them. My tarp stayed tight all night, a couple of times the tensioners absorbed 3 to 4 inches of sag.

funbun
05-28-2006, 09:42
I second the tarp tensioners. I noticed a huge difference on both the stock and my McCat Tarp when I added them. My tarp stayed tight all night, a couple of times the tensioners absorbed 3 to 4 inches of sag.

You're talking about line tensioners?

Just Jeff
05-28-2006, 11:20
These:
http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Self%20Tensioning%20Lines.htm

There are several different designs...they're all pretty easy to make, and they make a big difference in absorbing tarp sag so your rain protection stays where it needs to be.

Seeker
05-29-2006, 12:33
I keep the canopy close to the hammock, makes things a lot warmer.

this is totallly off topic, but i thought i was crazy the first time i noticed it... there's about a 5*-7* difference in interior temp with the tarp buttoned down. i checked it one morning when i woke up (thermometer on my hammock ridgeline vs my backyard thermometer). anyone else notice anything similar?

Just Jeff
05-29-2006, 14:19
Yes.