PDA

View Full Version : HH Super Shelter feed back

Hangman
05-27-2006, 22:59
hello, has anybody tried the hh super shelter? i was wondering if the super shelter and a 20 degree bag would be a good combination for a springer start around march 27th?

Just Jeff
05-27-2006, 23:30
Try here:
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Hennessy%20Super%20Shelter/

bearbag hanger
05-28-2006, 00:33
hello, has anybody tried the hh super shelter? i was wondering if the super shelter and a 20 degree bag would be a good combination for a springer start around march 27th?

Yes, I tried it, was not impressed. The foam insulation tore apart after one night. The sil-nylon cover made my ULB-Asym smaller than it was and a little uncomfortable. Didn't get the overcover, I suspect from the looks of it there would be way too much condesation.

When I did my 2004 thru hike, I started on Feb 28th. The coldest nights were spent in town, but did get down to 25 degrees on several occasions. I was alright with a 24" X 66" X 3/8" blue pad and a 20 degree sleeping bag. Was cold, but not dangerously so. Not sure if the super shelter will be much good below 40 - 45 degrees. Right now I use a JackRbetter underquilt and am happy with everything about it except the 20 oz weight. I've been down below freezing with it and was warm enough.

My recommendation is a underquilt and a larger tarp in place of the Hennessy canopy. The larger tarp is so you can go to ground a little easier than you can with the HH canopy.

River Runner
05-28-2006, 00:53
The SuperShelter system is good to about 40 F for me. It is a bit of a pain to set up.

stokell
06-04-2006, 12:44
I watched the videos HH have posted on their web and decided I'd try to make my own.

There is no question that the HH Super-Shelter looks better than my effort, but there is a huge difference in price.
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/pics/01/docs/00/00/13/85/small/cover01.jpg?v=15

I've tested mine down to -5C and stayed comfy with a 0C rated sleeping bag. I've forgotten most of the conversions but 0C is 32F.

Just Jeff
06-04-2006, 13:12
I get "Forbidden" when I click on your link.

rpettit
06-04-2006, 14:43
I use the HH supershelter. The foam underpad is useless to me. Perhaps those who are kept warm by it have much higher metabolisms than I do. It is also too narrow, you can easily move an arm or leg off of the pad to an area in the hammock with no insulation at all. I went to W-mart and bought a twin size OCF mattress pad, cut it a little wider that the hennessy pad, works fine, it's 1.5" thick and wide enough that I don't roll off of it when I move around in the hammock. I can go down to 40* with it, then I pull a 3/4 length ccf pad inside the hammock for more insulation. Using a tarp to block wind and retain heat also helps. If I had the money I'd try an underquilt, it's a little hard to justify spending 250$ on a down underquilt when I have already spent half that on the supershelter.

WileyBruin
06-10-2006, 12:13
I got "forbidden" as well. But if you click the link, let it load the "Forbidden" message, then delete the "?=v15" and try to load the new URL, it works.

Nerdy I know.

Just Jeff
06-10-2006, 13:18
Thanks, Wiley.

Stokell, did you get any condensation in that?

stokell
06-14-2006, 12:35
Thanks, Wiley.

Stokell, did you get any condensation in that?

No more than the normal amount I have without the wrap. I think the breathing hole I cut just above my face is the reason. I think most of the moisture is coming out of my nose and mouth.