PDA

View Full Version : Quietest time for GA section

Dust
05-28-2006, 01:28
I'm section hiking and want to knock out the Georgia section before the movie hits and the swarms descend. Which two-week period in winter has the least traffic on the GA section?

Dances with Mice
05-28-2006, 08:10
I'm section hiking and want to knock out the Georgia section before the movie hits and the swarms descend. Which two-week period in winter has the least traffic on the GA section?Probably the first two weeks of February.

But you can avoid crowds any time of the year by simply avoiding the shelters. Even in late March there are hundreds of empty and isolated camping sites in Georgia.

Lilred
05-28-2006, 09:22
I hiked some of the Georgia section in November and barely saw another hiker. Ran into a couple of southbounders and some day hikers, but had most of the shelters to myself. Even if this movie does come out, if you're hiking in the winter, I doubt you'd see many hikers on the trail.

general
05-28-2006, 12:52
I'm section hiking and want to knock out the Georgia section before the movie hits and the swarms descend. Which two-week period in winter has the least traffic on the GA section?

the week before christmas and the week after christmas. if you hit neel gap on christmas day, you wouldn't even see anyone there.

other than that, any time after new year's day in january, you may see an early thru-hiker or two, maybe me, and that's about it.

05-28-2006, 14:08
the week before christmas and the week after christmas. if you hit neel gap on christmas day, you wouldn't even see anyone there.

other than that, any time after new year's day in january, you may see an early thru-hiker or two, maybe me, and that's about it.

General is on the money. It will be cold but you will be alone.

BigToe
05-28-2006, 14:13

What movie?

orangebug
05-28-2006, 15:45
The rumored Walk in the Woods flick, that I think is a pipe dream.

General is correct. One of the nicest things about GA in November thru February is the number of campsites that open up when the wild flowers die back.

Enjoy.

Nightwalker
05-30-2006, 01:42
I hiked GA in late December, and I might've seen 10-15 folks on the trail the entire way.

fiddlehead
05-31-2006, 03:04
we finished up our southbound thru on Feb 10, 2002 and except for the area immedietly near Springer, saw no one else in GA except two groups of thru-hikers going north that were'nt into talking. There's not many people on the AT in the winter. (saw 4 the whole way except for the 1st week and the last week. )

The Solemates
05-31-2006, 09:26
Probably the first two weeks of February.

not a soul around when we started our thru on feb 1.

i would say second week in january until second week in feb there would be no one out there except perhaps an occasional weekender, that you may or may not even see.

i disagree with the comment that no one is out there between christmas and new years. a lot of people have that time off and use it to go hiking. we typically take a trip during this time i know..

SGT Rock
05-31-2006, 09:54
Hit the BMT if crowds of any size bother you.

Walkingdude
05-31-2006, 19:41
Years ago I hiked the southern 15 miles or so of the Georgia AT and the Approach Trail and saw only the people I was hiking with. We were hiking in later March and it was chilly, but not really cold.

The last time I was on the AT in Georgia was a dayhike five years ago. I hiked from the road just below the summit of Tray Mountain to...good grief, I've forgotten the next hard-surface road...Dick's Creek Gap?...and I saw a couple just breaking camp on the summit (they tented rather than use the shelter, which was empty), and I ran into another day-hiker. That was it. On a day in late June just before my 43rd birthday.