PDA

View Full Version : resupply ?'s in NC

AlanGreene3
05-28-2006, 20:28
I am planning a trip (starting June 3-4?)from Standing Indian Campground down Kimsey Creek then hitting the AT and ending up in Fontana. I have never been through this area so any insight would be greatly appreciated. I have a 2 part question here. First off, on my ATC map it shows a symbol for groceries just west of Wallace Gap/Rock Gap, right under Old-64. It doesnt name any towns so Im a little confused as to what is there. Also, concerning the NOC, is it a good idea to resupply there. Im not too picky on the food selection. I am more concerned as to what the prices are compared to larger establishments. Im on an extremely tight budget and gas is going to make that even tighter.

Thanks,
Alan

Doctari
05-28-2006, 21:30
"My ATC map it shows a symbol for groceries just west of Wallace Gap/Rock Gap, right under Old-64. It doesnt name any towns so Im a little confused as to what is there."

That would likely have been the rainbow springs campground. A fantastic place, morn it's loss as you pass by.

Next likely place to resupply along there is the town of Franklin, about 12 miles Right at the next road crossing.

NOC should have enough to get you to Fontana, or hitch a ride to a nearby town, I havn't ever done that, but ask the staff there @ NOC.

Doctari.

tiamalle
05-29-2006, 00:35
"My ATC map it shows a symbol for groceries just west of Wallace Gap/Rock Gap, right under Old-64. It doesnt name any towns so Im a little confused as to what is there."

That would likely have been the rainbow springs campground. A fantastic place, morn it's loss as you pass by.

Next likely place to resupply along there is the town of Franklin, about 12 miles Right at the next road crossing.

NOC should have enough to get you to Fontana, or hitch a ride to a nearby town, I havn't ever done that, but ask the staff there @ NOC.

Doctari.Alan,there's not anywhere west of Wallace Gap.Your map has old info probably Rainbow Springs.At Winding Stair Gap/new 64 to the
east 4 miles is a convience store on the left at Wayah Bald turn off or 3 miles more to east is Franklin,NC with all services.At Wesser crossing of US
19/74 is the NOC with a cafe,hostel,but limited food supply but turn right
1 mile is a convience store or 9 miles east is Bryson City with all services,
At Stecoah Gap on US turn left 10 miles to Robbinsville,NC with all services.
At Fontana,limited supplies.If I can help you in Franklin (828)524-4403 Ron
Haven

AlanGreene3
05-29-2006, 07:47
Thank you both for your responses. I think I will be making one stop at NOC if all goes as planned. It figures the map my friend picked up is a 2004 edition. I dont know if I should blame him or the outfitter that is still selling it, probaly the latter. My guide book is even worse, try...1998, I cant complain though, I borrowed it from the library. With the net Im piecing it all together quite well.

Thanks again,
Alan

Sly
05-29-2006, 08:53
Instead of using an 8 year old guidebook just click on the appropriate section in the up-to-date online ALDHA Companion. Maps aren't updated as frequently. 2004 is probably the latest.

http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

Since NOC accepts packages you may want to consider sending a small drop there.

fredmugs
05-31-2006, 14:04
I just completed a very similar hike. There is no nearby re-supply until you get to the NOC. Also be very careful when you get on the Kimsey Creek trail. I got on it easily enough but somehow got off of it even though I continuously had blue blazes in front of me. I still ended up on the forest road but I was about 3 miles north of the deep gap pkg lot. Apparently this happens a lot. It probably adds 45 - 60 minutes but you end up having to hump up a very steep mtn along the way.

Lilred
05-31-2006, 20:06
I resupplied at NOC and regretted it. The prices there are outrageous. 2.50 for Lipton Pasta side dishes. A Hitch into town will save you lots of money.