PDA

View Full Version : tarps and ridge lines

titanium_hiker
05-29-2006, 05:01
Before anyone spouts forth the well used and loved: "don't tie it to the hammock ridge line, tie it to the tree" - this isn't a thread about "oh no! the tarp sags when I get in!". (sorry to deflate anyone there. ;) )

Ok- in Doctari's thread about the hammock learning curve (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15066), there was a passing mention of using the tarp with a ridge line, and another member mentioned that they didn't.

I admit I hadn't thought about it too much- I'd always strung my tarp out clothesline like. But this meant some sort of awkward connection to the tie outs to make sure the tarp didn't slide into the middle of the line, and taught-ness is hard to achieve. I also wonder about wear and tear to the centre seam of my tarp.

So, with setting up
----===========----
.... ===========
as opposed to
----------------------
.....=======

means that the chance of leaks is reduced, a tighter/tauter more caternary shape is able to be pitched, of course resulting in a little less living area.

What do you use, why?

Discuss. :)

bearbag hanger
05-29-2006, 07:12
Before anyone spouts forth the well used and loved: "don't tie it to the hammock ridge line, tie it to the tree" - this isn't a thread about "oh no! the tarp sags when I get in!". (sorry to deflate anyone there. ;) )

Ok- in Doctari's thread about the hammock learning curve (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15066), there was a passing mention of using the tarp with a ridge line, and another member mentioned that they didn't.

I admit I hadn't thought about it too much- I'd always strung my tarp out clothesline like. But this meant some sort of awkward connection to the tie outs to make sure the tarp didn't slide into the middle of the line, and taught-ness is hard to achieve. I also wonder about wear and tear to the centre seam of my tarp.

So, with setting up
----===========----
.... ===========
as opposed to
----------------------
.....=======

means that the chance of leaks is reduced, a tighter/tauter more caternary shape is able to be pitched, of course resulting in a little less living area.

What do you use, why?

Discuss. :)

I don't use a separate ridge line for my JackRBetter tarp, just connect from the loop in one corner to the loop in the oposite corner and to the supports. Three primary reasons for this:
1. Never thought about it, it's the way the Hennessy does it and just did the same thing when I got the new tarp. The only difference is I now attach the tarp to the supports instead of to the hammock ridge line.
2. I'd think there would be more wear and tear at the center of the tarp if I used a ridge line. You mentioned this, but I guess you haven't seen it as a problem?
3. It would be added weight.

If I read your post correctly, setting up without a ridge line would result in less living area? I don't see how that would happen. If anything, there would be more. As you said, with the ridge line there is a chance the tarp would bunch up in the middle and that would mean less coverage.

titanium_hiker
05-29-2006, 19:37
without a ridge line pulling the centre up, there is a dip... minor reduction in head room.

bunching up is avoided by running the cord thru the end tie outs and looping back through a couple of times before tying up.

it never occurred to me to do it any other way LOL. I'm looking at switching though.

TH

hogn8r
05-29-2006, 23:43
The tarp I use now is a cat cut tarp I built, so I don't use a ridgeline. I have a much nicer set up without it.

However when I used the stock HH fly or my original tarp, wich was cat cut on the sides but not the center, I used a ridgeline. I intentionlly bunched it up in the center to get the tarp as taught as possible. Actually I just folded over a small portion in the middle to take up the slack. I learned it from Sgt. Rock's site, he does it this way with the stock fly I think. Anyway, it worked. But now that I have a full cat cut down the center, I don't use one.

My tarp is pitched totally independant of my hammock.

Just Jeff
05-29-2006, 23:47
I don't use a ridgeline under the tarp, and the JRB comes down a bit in the center. The MacCat barely comes down at all. There's a pic of the two hung together to show this here (http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingDry.html).

titanium_hiker
05-30-2006, 05:19
hey Jeff- you really need page anchors- long pages- referencing to something specific on them means a lot of scrolling. :)

instead of splitting it up into pages, you can just pop in a <a name="someName"></a> and then link to it using an <a href="#someName">some name</a>

hope that code renders...

titanium_geek

hammock engineer
05-30-2006, 09:41
I have the McCat tarp, and as Jeff said, I do not see much sag in the middle when set up.

On his tarps, Brain puts a kevlar material along the outer edge for increased strength. You could look into adding this material to your tarp where the ridge will met the tarp. This should protect the tarp from the ridge line.

Just Jeff
05-30-2006, 11:49
you really need page anchors

Yep - that's a great idea. I'll add those in when I get a chance.

brian
05-30-2006, 13:39
I have the McCat tarp, and as Jeff said, I do not see much sag in the middle when set up.

On his tarps, Brain puts a kevlar material along the outer edge for increased strength. You could look into adding this material to your tarp where the ridge will met the tarp. This should protect the tarp from the ridge line.

Hammock Engineer:

It is not a 100% kevlar material, but rather a 210D nylon with a kevlar ripstop pattern to prevent warping and ripping. It works great as a lightweight, very strong and very visable tieout material, as it can take a lot of flak for its very low weight. Great stuff, but also quite expensive!

Brian
OES

titanium_hiker
05-30-2006, 18:25
kevlar- or I could just tie out without a ridgeline- :)

I hope to take photos of both set ups and post...

but not till next week- I've got exams and projects.

TH

Doctari
06-24-2006, 20:16
My tarp is hung without a ridgeline. HOWEVER, as it is directly over my hammock, once it's all said & done, it CAN have a ridgeline. When I set up in the rain, the tarp goes up, then the ridgeline, then the hamock. For a gentle rain like I had a few nights ago, the tarp stays about 4" - 5" above the ridge. As a tarp user, I did have a ridgeline, but always felt it was overkill. Handy for hanging bug netting & stuff, but not really needed to support the tarp. Nevertheless, I used one till the tarp was retired.

My current (hammocking) tarp is suspended by 2 bungy cords atached to the trees (sometimes with a lightweight cord) & one at each corner. One of the trees I tie to gives about 3", yet no sag in the tarp. IF, I ever go back to tarping, this is how I will hang the tarp. My old way took, at my best, 7 minutes. Using the bungy cords & no ridgeline, about 3 min (Old way was timed, New way is just a guestamate). Both were the "Flying wedge" set up with 3 stakes.

Doctari.

peter_pan
06-24-2006, 21:20
I use 9 foot cords on the ridge line corners tied directly to the trees with an overhand hitch and a slip knot and Self Tensioning Lines on the two corners going to the ground, use a tautline with a sip knot to secure to the pegs...Tarp pitching is a 90 second drill...even in the rain...no sag...no adjustment....

Pan

Spock
06-25-2006, 22:25
Peter Pan has is figured out. No ridge line; just use elastic tensioners to keep it taut. Many tarps - even those w/o a catenery cut - will set up well or better if you just anchor to the pullouts. Those without ridge seams seem to do the best.

peter_pan
06-26-2006, 10:43
Peter Pan has is figured out. No ridge line; just use elastic tensioners to keep it taut. Many tarps - even those w/o a catenery cut - will set up well or better if you just anchor to the pullouts. Those without ridge seams seem to do the best.

Spock,

The JRB square tarp has a diagonal seam which is the ridge seam the way I prefer to hang it....OTH.... Just Jeff prefer the opposite two corners....Putting the seam on the ridge gives the best taut definition and provides for a more waterproof seam IMHO.

Pan