PDA

View Full Version : Hiking pet peeves

Amigi'sLastStand
05-29-2006, 07:29
This may best be placed in the sensitive trail subject area, but I wanted a wider scope of opinions for a project of mine. I am putting together a do's and don't of trail etiquette pamphlet for a friend of mine. Subjects DO NOT have to be about ppl or ppl-related, they can be about anything that irks you, like tp stuck to the bottom of your trail shoe, for example.

So having said that, please be as kind as possible, do not mention names, and don't overdo it.

Mine are simple: gearheads who put down other people's equipment ( I almost knocked this dude out last year ) or who believe their system/way/philosophy is best, and ultralighters who ultralight by grubbing off of others ( bring your own food, and no, you may not sleep in my tent and I aint leaving the shelter just because I have one ).
Biggest of all, dogs in the shelters. I own three dogs, two cats, and a tarantula. You bring your dog in, I bring the tarantula.

I am looking forward to the posts here.

I leave in less than 10 days, and can hardly freaking sleep I'm so psyched. This will probably be the last hike of my life, so I hope all goes well. Hope to run into all of you, but if not, it's been a pleasure reading y'alls posts and remember, it's the journey, not the destination that matters.
Chuck

Skidsteer
05-29-2006, 08:48
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6667&highlight=hiker+etiquette

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12596&highlight=things

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9386&highlight=things

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13780&highlight=things

Question: Why will this be your last hike?

kyhipo
05-29-2006, 09:35
how much does your gear weigh?I reallly dislike folks who ask me that every day!or man thats old gear you hike with!so what it works!or another good one I dont see how you can hike so many miles and smoke!whats it to you!or better is the people who give you the your crazy look:-? because you hike your own hike,I get tired of hiking on the trail all the time sometimes I like to blue blaze and check other things out I say:eek: ,they say well your not hiking the trail!so what! its my hike I am walking regardless.you can go on!and on!and on!same o!same o!ky

K0OPG
05-29-2006, 10:55
people that think you post on a forum is horsesh-- because he cannot understand an adjective and a noun together.:mad:

Amigi'sLastStand
05-29-2006, 12:20
Had a blood vessel go *pop* on the subarachnoidal layer of me cranium. Hasn't made me any different, or crazier than ever, but it wasn't found in time to really "repair it". So, gotta 5%/yr chance of a fatal one reoccurring. Actually, the initial instance is fatal 40% of the time. To lead a longer life I have to: "stop smoking ( could do ), lose 10 lbs ( ok ), change my diet ( sure ), lower my stress level ( kinda hard, will try ), and no strenuous activity like hiking, rafting, camping, fishing, bowling, biking..." Did you say you were gonna amputate a leg and castrate me? I could give up sex ( yep, that too ), egads, faster than give up all the other things I love. And what, sit around the house trying not to be stressful and watch the salt on my pizza and never look at the most beautiful woman in the world? F--- that. I spent nine years in Colombia at a small, secret and highly effective military base back during the height of the drug war. I took the assignment because I love the outdoors. I feel ... well.... at home. So my choice is to live as I have lived and when the thing breaks, it breaks. So, hence, this trip. No offense to any, but I have always considered the AT a little on the easy side, so have never thruhiked it. But now, it may be just right.

Please, no comments about this here. This thread is for my etiquette project that may ( crossed fingers ) be included in a later edition of a famous trail handbook. I've been asked about it before on this site via email, and have responded when I felt it was appropriate. So, if you are the type ( I am ) that feels they have to say something, just email me. Address is in my bio.
Thanks, Chuck.

Seeker
05-29-2006, 13:01
Hiking Peeves:

-Uncontrolled/impolite dogs (both 4 legged and 2 legged).
-Loud anything (except thunder... love that.)
-Cell phones used for loud "guess where i am, dude" or similar calls.
-Horse and bike riders who assume they have the right of way.
-That annoying whine a biker makes when he lands several yards down the trail after i stuck my hiking staff through his front wheel for being rude (just kidding... i've never actually done this. have fantasized it several times).
-Toilet paper from those too lazy to dig a cathole.
-People cooking on the sleeping platform of a shelter.
-Early risers and latecomers who make too much noise.
-People who insist on talking to you, or who are overly aggressive in their belief that their hiking system is the best one.
-Religious and political extremism, shared with others who don't want to hear it.
-Garbage left on the trail.
-Having to explain the above to my kids.

Hiking Likes (gotta have some positive to cancel the negative):

-Coming in to a shelter after a long rainy day and having a stranger help you take off your pack and offer you some hot water and cocoa mix he's just brewed up for himself.
-Seeing parents teach their children respect for nature, others, and themselves.
-Watching a well-trained horse or dog put through its paces by a rider or handler who knows what (s)he's doing.
-An old guy willing to sharing his 'secret', when you see him unpack the tiniest alcohol stove, small bottle, and pot you've ever seen, and watch in wonder as he turns it into a hot meal for himself.
-A pot smoker who offers to share, but respectfully accepts your declining of his offer, and then has the decency to make sure he doesn't blow his smoke near you for the rest of the evening (which turned out to be pretty enjoyable) since he knows you can't stand the smell.
-Running into the countless decent, respectful hikers i've met over the years, and the fascinating conversations they've provided in the evenings.
-The day hiker who doesn't look at you like you're from Mars when you ask "what day is it" after a week out.

Doctari
05-29-2006, 14:53
Hiking Peeves:

-Uncontrolled/impolite dogs (both 4 legged and 2 legged).
Climbing Tray Mt. dog barked at EVERY hiker, for about 5 minutes before contact to 3 or 4 after. So, near constant barking. Owner didn't correct once while I could see, I made a rude comment, she stopped smiling, still didn't correct the damn dog. Not dog's fault BTW.

-Loud anything (except thunder... love that.) Amen, Love thunder, can't stand other loud noises.

-Cell phones used for loud "guess where i am, dude" or similar calls.
"can I borrow your phone? OOPS, um, I was,,,,swatting at a bee,,, and it,,,, slipped, yea, slipped, that's it. I didn't know they would shatter so easily." Never done it, can dream can't I?

-Horse and bike riders who assume they have the right of way.
Have done this: I REFUSE to move if on a "footpath ONLY" section.

-That annoying whine a biker makes when he lands several yards down the trail after i stuck my hiking staff through his front wheel for being rude (just kidding... i've never actually done this. have fantasized it several times).
The stuff dreams are made of.

-Toilet paper from those too lazy to dig a cathole.
I so want to put it in their packs, but have yet to catch anyone "In the act"

-People cooking on the sleeping platform of a shelter.
Right next to my higly flammable sleeping bag no less. Reason #3 for not staying in a shelter.

-Early risers and latecomers who make too much noise.
Reason #4 for no shelters.

-People who insist on talking to you, or who are overly aggressive in their belief that their hiking system is the best one.
Most people do a mental "checklist" of when to talk that consists of about 3 questions: 1) Do I want to talk? 2) can the person I want to talk to hear me? 3) can they listen to me / do they want to hear what I am saying. Many people only check #1. I have askend nicely that they stop talking. if not, I not so nicely say "Shut up!" or I walk away. #2 reason for no shelter stays.

-Religious and political extremism, shared with others who don't want to hear it. also in #2 reason for no shelter stays.

-Garbage left on the trail.
I try to pick up what I can, but,,,

-Having to explain the above to my kids.
Thanks for doing so :)

Hiking Likes (gotta have some positive to cancel the negative):

-Coming in to a shelter after a long rainy day and having a stranger help you take off your pack and offer you some hot water and cocoa mix he's just brewed up for himself.
-Seeing parents teach their children respect for nature, others, and themselves.
-Watching a well-trained horse or dog put through its paces by a rider or handler who knows what (s)he's doing.
-An old guy willing to sharing his 'secret', when you see him unpack the tiniest alcohol stove, small bottle, and pot you've ever seen, and watch in wonder as he turns it into a hot meal for himself.
-A pot smoker who offers to share, but respectfully accepts your declining of his offer, and then has the decency to make sure he doesn't blow his smoke near you for the rest of the evening (which turned out to be pretty enjoyable) since he knows you can't stand the smell.
[I'm allergec, stop breating. so apreciate it even more. #5 reason for no shelters.]
-Running into the countless decent, respectful hikers i've met over the years, and the fascinating conversations they've provided in the evenings.
-The day hiker who doesn't look at you like you're from Mars when you ask "what day is it" after a week out.
I like all of the above good thoughts. Thanks!

My pet peves.
Hikers that stay in shelters, knowing what they are like, & get mad at others for snoring.

Hikers who do not carry shelter, & expect you to move out into the rain so they can stay dry. (I refuse, AND reccomend others do so also BTW).

The above hikers who DEMAND someone move out.

Deciples of Ray J, who beg for food (& etc). I think what annoys me most about that is: it's not what Ray teaches.

Gear critics. ALL of them that do so without being asked.

HUGE BONFIRES.

My likes:

The Civilian that says "how far have you hiked?" & the look on their faces when you say "18 miles today", Usually followed by "ALONE?!?!? IN THE WOODS!!!?!!! Man I love that ;)

The quiet of a stelth camp deep in the woods. Maybe with one or 2 kindred spirits & a very small campfire.

Quiet trail magic: jar of peanut butter left mid trail with a note "help yourself". things like that.

Someone who takes the time/energy to pick up others trash & pack it out.

Hiker's who take the time to help a hiker in need, gently offering advice to an obviously struggling newby. In my case I must say: Thanks Mala!!

Doctari.

trlhiker
05-29-2006, 16:20
1. People who set their tents up inside the shelter.
2. Scouts who take over shelters and all the flat tent sites around the shelter.
3. People who wake up at the crack of dawn and proceed to make alot of noise packing and cooking.
4. Litter bugs
5. People who believe their gear is the best and nothing else compares.

UnkaJesse
05-29-2006, 18:55
1) Overly loud motorcycles on mountain highways. Not just the Harleys, but the mechanical mosquito sounds that the jet bikes make, too!
2) Food cans left in fire rings.
3) Horse poo on the trail.

Walkingdude
05-29-2006, 18:58
Religious fundies trying to proselytize on the AT. (One of the main reasons I don't stay at shelters anymore.)

snowhoe
05-29-2006, 19:04
1 That there is no running water at the shelters
2 That there is no place to plug stuff in at the shelters
3 That you cannot just drive right up to the shelters
4 That you have to walk up hill

Footslogger
05-29-2006, 20:30
I think I pretty much only have 2 pieves while hiking.

The first is based on my 2003 thru, and is something over which I have no control ....RAIN.

The second is someone who complains constantly about one thing or another and won't go away.

Everything else I can deal with.

'Slogger

fiddlehead
05-29-2006, 21:43
The only complaint i can think of has been dogs that have ruined water sources and their owners say stuff like: "Isn't that cute, she's cooling off"

But reading most of these posts leads me to my formal conclusion that the shelters on the AT need to be ripped down. Most of the complaints arise from people or their gear or garbage being left, etc. Just don't stay at them if you don't like them. Get your water and go. Possibly don't even look at them. Shelters are like cities: that's where the crime, dirt, traffic jams, and filth of the world tend to hang out. Stealth camping is quiet, clean, usually has a better view, no snoring, no dogs camping and chasing mice all night, etc.

SGT Rock
05-30-2006, 02:44
Peeves:

1. Trash - on the trail, in the fire rings, wherever. (This is #1)

2. Vandalism of natural and/or man made things (like a shelter) - I don't normally stay at shelters, but I appreciate the work that goes into them and hare to see what some folks do to them and other things out there.

3. Horses, bikes, 4-wheelers, motorcycles on hiking trail. I know if I walk on a horse trail or bike trail I have to accept them, but they should not be on a hiking only trail.

4. Large and/or loud groups that over run a place (not just shelters)

5. Gear snobs - it can be an ultralighter or a heavy packer, it doesn't matter. The point is they think they have achieved the perfect packing list and are happy to tell you how. I talk gear off trail, on trail I try to forget it exists.

6. Smoking that impacts on me. With all that room out there I could care less if someone smokes cigarettes, MJ, cigars, a pipe, or whatever, but don't do it next to someone that ain't smoking.

7. Drunk and/or high people that forget that not everyone thinks it is acceptable to act a fool in that condition - I like to drink myself so don't think I am against any use, just irresponsible use.

8. Sniveling - really: if it sucks out there for you then quit hiking and quit sniveling! This ain't the Army and no one forces you to do it. You are supposed to be having fun out here. I know it can be cold, I know it can be hot, I know it can be hard work, I know you can get blisters, I know you can get boo boos, I know it can rain, I know the water sources can go dry, I know the mountain was steep, I know the trail has rocks... and I am also out there with you, I can see it myself, so I don't need someone telling me how much it sucks. Get with it and just be thankful you are out here in the first place :D

9. Loud music - keep music to yourself, that is what headphones are for. This could go for a lot of other loud noises, but I do accept some as part of the experience.

10. Cell phone users doing that "Guess where I am?" call or any other call around other hikers while on the trail. Just rude.

11. Uncontrolled or poorly controlled dogs on the trail. I have seen a few good ones, but mostly bad dogs on the trail. The problem usually is the owners of the bad ones don't realize it, condone it, or ignore it. Seems everyone that hikes with their dog thinks theirs is one of the good ones.

12. Tents in shelters. Again, I rarely use them, but what a self centered thing to do.

Enough sniveling. Things that make my day on the trail:

1. Positive attitudes. They are infectious. I love seeing someone gutting it out with a smile.

2. Courtesy. Making room in a shelter without being asked, waving and saying hi, getting out of someone's way when you can do it easier, whatever else there may be.

3. Giving back - hikers stopping to help with trail maintenance, people packing out trash, people doing whatever they can (like donating money) to keeping up trails.

4. Good dogs. There are a few out there and I am a dog person.

5. Kids on the trail. I like to see parents introducing kids to something that isn't on TV. That is where the future trail maintenance folks and dedicated hikers will come from. Passing on the love of hiking is a great thing to do. Just try to teach manners and respect for others on the trail at the same time.

6. New hikers making it. Now and then I have given up food, loaned gear, shared a stove and I am one of the ultralighters (see we all aren't beggars). And it was always to hikers that are short because they just didn't know what they didn't know when they planned their first hike. Novices out there learning (and making mistakes) but still doing it give me motivation for some reason. I've been around a few hikers in my time that had just heard about hiking and decided to try it. Some had more gear than you could shake a stick at but not always the right gear or enough food. But they were hanging in there and making it. Gotta love it.

7. Cowboy TV, especially with a few others around. Something about the fellowship around a campfire.

8. Any night in the woods, especially if it is in a hammock. Recharges your mental batteries like nothing else.

9. A creek.

10. A good view.

11. A good meal cooked on the trail.

12. Good Whiskey and some music.

Just Jeff
05-30-2006, 02:57
Trail etiquette is really no different from everyday etiquette; it's just expressed differently.

Treat others how you'd like to be treated. Good manners and a good attitude go a long way, even if a person doesn't know the "right" thing to say or do in a particular situation.

So that's what I like to see on the trail - just plain old good people. I don't even care how friendly you are as long as you're not an ass to people for no reason. Same as in everyday life - being an inconsiderate ass for no reason is my pet peeve. The details of that are listed in the posts above.

rambunny
05-30-2006, 09:03
Past Thru hikers that think their owed something.

Skyline
05-30-2006, 09:52
1) POLITICAL DEBATE: As much as I may join in the fray on sites like this, I really don't care for more than a few minutes of that out in the woods.

2) RELIGIOUS PROSYLETIZING: Keep it in your church, preach to the choir.

3) TRASH: Left by lazy, inconsiderate hikers--including long-distance hikers.

4) GRAFFITI: On trees, landmarks, and shelters. See #3.

5) ULTRALIGHTERS: Mucho respect if self-sufficient. Mucho disgust if they refuse to carry weight but then sponge off other hikers or act as if their lack of a tarp or tent gives them first rights to shelter space. Ultra mucho disgust if they brag about their high mileage before or after spongeing.

6) ARTIFICIAL HIGHS OR LOWS: Mostly alcohol and drug-induced. Hike your own hike, get as high as you want, but must you do it around others not like-minded or at traditional gathering places like viewpoints, shelters, hostels, etc.?

7) TECHNOLOGY THAT INTRUDES: Bring whatever makes you feel comfy and secure, but do you need to make others hear your side of a cellphone conversation, or your choice of music?

Green Bean
05-30-2006, 10:35
. This will probably be the last hike of my life. "?????"

Whys that?

Gray Blazer
05-30-2006, 10:43
Pet Peeve?-Small, secretive and highly effective military bases on AT to fight the drug war.:rolleyes:

Seriously, annoying people who spread their stuff all over the shelters. Especially when they place their gear on the benches so you can't sit anywhere. I know that sounds like nothing, but, when you're getting old and you've had knee surgery, you'd appreciate a place to sit down.

mingo
05-30-2006, 10:47
know-it-all trail bums who insist on giving silly advice on everything little thing. i won't mention any names but the initials of the worst offender are BJ.

Amigi'sLastStand
05-30-2006, 11:32
Great everyone. Lots I hadnt thought about. Keep em coming.

the goat
05-30-2006, 12:27
-people who look at thru-hikers as irresponsible.
-hearing people say: "i'd love to thru, but i just don't have the time".
-thru-hikers who think they're better than day, section, or weekend warrior hikers.
-whiners.
-hikers that think they are some kind of philospher, but are mostly full of *****

fivefour
05-30-2006, 13:12
trash and people who do not respect the wild.

i was hiking in saint mary's wilderness this past weekend and we hiked down to saint mary's falls for a little swim. there were a few people here and there including a younger couple (17-20 years i would guess). i was warming in the sun beside a rock and noticed a tail sticking out. it was a 2-3 foot water snake. so i watched the snake warming on the edge of the water for some time. the younger couple noticed me watching something and asked what it was. it was hard to speak over the noise of the falls so i made a snake motion with my hand. the young man (boy) swam over to the area of the snake and i thought he was going to pick it up or something so i thought nothing of it. then BAM ! he crushes the snakes head with a rock. it took several blows to kill the snake. i was blown away ... sitting there with my mouth open not believing what i had just witnessed. i still feel sick about it. had i not pointed the poor creature out, it would still be alive and well. the boy made a comment about it being a copperhead and i replied with "no, it WAS a water snake" and left. the rest of my trip was haunted by the image of that snake flailing about. some people have no respect for anything.

Green Bean
05-30-2006, 13:55
~ When someone sets their tent up inside the shelter for for sure.
~ Trash on the trail. I try to pack most out but just can't get it all b/c I can't be every where at once. I wish though.
~Rude people!!!!
~GB

Amigi'sLastStand
05-30-2006, 15:03
trash and people who do not respect the wild.

i was hiking in saint mary's wilderness this past weekend and we hiked down to saint mary's falls for a little swim. there were a few people here and there including a younger couple (17-20 years i would guess). i was warming in the sun beside a rock and noticed a tail sticking out. it was a 2-3 foot water snake. so i watched the snake warming on the edge of the water for some time. the younger couple noticed me watching something and asked what it was. it was hard to speak over the noise of the falls so i made a snake motion with my hand. the young man (boy) swam over to the area of the snake and i thought he was going to pick it up or something so i thought nothing of it. then BAM ! he crushes the snakes head with a rock. it took several blows to kill the snake. i was blown away ... sitting there with my mouth open not believing what i had just witnessed. i still feel sick about it. had i not pointed the poor creature out, it would still be alive and well. the boy made a comment about it being a copperhead and i replied with "no, it WAS a water snake" and left. the rest of my trip was haunted by the image of that snake flailing about. some people have no respect for anything.
Glad you were there and not me. Mighta been two heads under a rock that day. I'm steaming just sitting here.

Ridge
05-30-2006, 15:55
This thread makes me want to write a book. I'll title it " Ten Million Holes" in dishonor of those who have completed a thru hike with two steel tipped hiking sticks. OR. "15 Million Steps" about a hiker and his dog who completes a thru hike without a leash.

general
05-30-2006, 17:32
1. People who set their tents up inside the shelter.
2. Scouts who take over shelters and all the flat tent sites around the shelter.
3. People who wake up at the crack of dawn and proceed to make alot of noise packing and cooking.
4. Litter bugs
5. People who believe their gear is the best and nothing else compares.

shelters are first, come first serve, as well as campsites, other than ones held by reservation in the smokeys, for example. either hike faster to get there first, or move on to somewhere else. why is it that a troop of boy scouts should bow to your needs? did they not hike just as far or further, just as hard or harder than you? why in the hell do you deserve shelter space over someone else. no need for selfishness. don't like noise at the crack of dawn? yet another example of your wishes taking presidence over others. if you don't like this stuff, then why subject yourself to the places where it is guaranteed to occur?

ed bell
05-30-2006, 17:53
This thread makes me want to write a book. I'll title it " Ten Million Holes" in dishonor of those who have completed a thru hike with two steel tipped hiking sticks. OR. "15 Million Steps" about a hiker and his dog who completes a thru hike without a leash.Just cut and paste all your replies here on Whiteblaze and you will be well on your way.:D

Skidsteer
05-30-2006, 18:15
This thread makes me want to write a book. I'll title it " Ten Million Holes" in dishonor of those who have completed a thru hike with two steel tipped hiking sticks. OR. "15 Million Steps" about a hiker and his dog who completes a thru hike without a leash.

Great! Will the book have photos?

the goat
05-30-2006, 18:33

i'll write one too. i'll title it "a dozen or so holes" in dishonor of those ___holes who have completed a thru and feel the need to whine a/b hiking sticks and dogs at every opportunity.:D

Amigi'sLastStand
05-30-2006, 22:57
OK. Enough picking on each other. This aint the place. As I stated in the starter, be polite and dont name names. Y'all are screwing up a thread I want honest answers to. I dont care if the same peeve gets repeated over and over. Means more folks care about it. And if it's someones peeve that doesnt peeve you, no need to reply, just read.

Rain Man
05-30-2006, 23:16
... why is it that a troop of boy scouts should bow to your needs? did they not hike just as far or further, just as hard or harder than you? why in the hell do you deserve shelter space over someone else. no need for selfishness. ...

I can give two reasons, from two experiences of my own.

#1 - Sign at trailhead at Deep Gap, NC says to limit overnight parties to 10. I arrive at Standing Indian Shelter and about 20 or 30 Scouts have completely filled the shelter AND all the tent spots, in violation of the posted rules.

#2 - Stayed in Ice Water Springs shelter (officially a 12-person shelter) one stormy night with 23 other hikers, a dozen of whom were Scouts who said they had reservations. My group had 4 reservations. 4 are reserved for thru-hikers. That leaves 4 other spots the Scouts could have reserved. The ridge runner told me the next day the Scouts were just lying about their reservations.

Two examples of why Scouts should "bow to someone else's needs" and why an honorable, law-abiding hiker might "deserve shelter space" over a bunch of "selfish" (your word) Scouts.

Rain:sunMan

ed bell
05-30-2006, 23:22
OK. Enough picking on each other. This aint the place. As I stated in the starter, be polite and dont name names. Y'all are screwing up a thread I want honest answers to. I dont care if the same peeve gets repeated over and over. Means more folks care about it. And if it's someones peeve that doesnt peeve you, no need to reply, just read.ALS, no nastyness coming from me, just a couple laughs about the arrival of an unavoidable response. I welcome the opportunity to read what others regard as peeves, but I am confident that my own way of handling myself in the woods falls far short of pissing someone off. Am I 100% sure of this? Heavens, no. Live and learn. Maybe I'll just try to think a little harder to figure out what irks me while I'm out in the woods.:o

Just Jeff
05-31-2006, 00:16
OK. Enough picking on each other. This aint the place. As I stated in the starter, be polite and dont name names. Y'all are screwing up a thread I want honest answers to. I dont care if the same peeve gets repeated over and over. Means more folks care about it. And if it's someones peeve that doesnt peeve you, no need to reply, just read.

If you want a straight forward answer, you should post it in the Straight Forward forum. A mod would probably move it to that forum and delete the off-topic posts if you care to ask one.

Amigi'sLastStand
05-31-2006, 00:58
If you want a straight forward answer, you should post it in the Straight Forward forum. A mod would probably move it to that forum and delete the off-topic posts if you care to ask one.

Good advice, JJ, but no. I put it here since the general topics area seems to get more traffic. I had just hoped that with my caveat in the threadstarter, this thread would not turn into a direct b---- fest about other members. I may have to email attroll or Rock or whoever to delete some portions.

Please, be kind. We are all different, but we ALL share at least one thing in common; we are all hikers. Peace often wins over war by just one shared commonality.

Chuck

SGT Rock
05-31-2006, 02:17
Hey, if I hike in the Smokies and the shelter is full before I get there, that is a GOOD thing because then I can set up outside the dang thing.

Gray Blazer
05-31-2006, 07:20
I know what you're talkin' 'bout, Sarge.

wilderness bob
05-31-2006, 08:54
Amigi, I too walked out of the machinery (retired military).

Pet Peeve?

Wrist alarms. Mind you not those who use them to wake and move on but, those who let them run there course with out the decency to turn them off.

Trash. I know it must have been heavier to carry it in so why leave it behind.

Cigarett butts on the trail. I often jokingly said that I would love to take a dump truck's worth and deliver it to that person's (who tossed it) home. Dump it in there front yard with a note, "Thought you would like all these back, after all you paid for them".

Hiker viruses (as I call them). One who draws in all there is to offer for themselves. For example a hiker who stays for days on end at the best hostels (like Miss Janet's or Elmer's). Stay for a few days then go out and pitch a tent somewhere if you want to hang around. Let others enjoy the experience as well.

I could go on... WB

c.coyle
05-31-2006, 10:39
Hiking around, rather than through, a muddy section, thus making the trail wider and wider.

Green Bean
05-31-2006, 10:51
-people who look at thru-hikers as irresponsible.
-hearing people say: "i'd love to thru, but i just don't have the time".
-thru-hikers who think they're better than day, section, or weekend warrior hikers.
-whiners.
-hikers that think they are some kind of philospher, but are mostly full of *****

Right on with that goat Totally agree!! http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif
~ I can't stand people that think they are better and people that have never really been into the outdoors or have been but never had to really survive for themself and they think they are the king of everything that has to do with the outdoors. aahhhh!! can't stand it. ~GB

c.coyle
05-31-2006, 11:41
If I were a new hiker logging on here for the first time, I might conclude that the AT is one miserable place, filled with miserable, rude, touchy, annoying people.

I love hiking. I love 99 out of every 100 people I meet. And it's usually easy to get away from #100. And to get away from dogs, and smokers and cellphones and shelters. Actually, staying away from shelters avoids most of these problems.

Count your blessings. You're in the woods.

carolinahiker
05-31-2006, 11:46
Hmmmm pet peeves proably some of other folks, gera heads who comment on my old stuff which ive used for years and like. One commented on my first aid kit being to big etc then didnt have any moleskin for his wife/gf so i gave her some. Im a hmmock hanger so u like to be near a shelter cause i like people but i stay out of em for alot of the listed reasons. WHINERS Sgt is right my paratrooper knees hurt in the am but i hate hearin 20 years old kids complain about aches and pains 20 years in the infantry i know aches and pain lol. {okay off the soap box}

Wolf - 23000
06-06-2006, 20:46
Hikers asking "What do you carry???". I'm sorry if this offends anyone but someone who is out there in the woods should aready know what to carry. Asking someone who you just met or know for only a couple hours or minutes and under their advise someone would spend several hundred dollars.

I know there are some gear heads out there but if someone doesn't want to talk about their gear, respect it.

Wolf

Nightwalker
06-06-2006, 21:54
Hikers asking "What do you carry???"
You more often just get asked "Gee, how much does that cutdown daypack you're carrying weigh, anyway?"

:)

grrickar
06-08-2006, 01:34
People that leave trash behind. Aside from that, I can handle about anything else. I don't really like people talking about their world views and such - much like in the real world I don't give a rip about what anyone else thinks and don't care to argue or hear about it. I hit the trail to get away from it all and think about what matters most to me.

Ridge
06-08-2006, 02:01
Me and a buddy just removed a queen size mattress from an area near Hightower Gap(GA), been there a few weeks. In past years, refrigerators, HW heaters, and now a mattress are among the larger items removed from the AT or close to it. I've heard a few autos have been removed by the authorities also. Fire-Pits full of burned cans and aluminum foil (along with all other forms of litter) always hits the disgusting pet peeve button. Graffiti on shelters, handrails, etc is a very close second. A note on handrail graffiti: the "Foothills Trail" in SC has someones initials on every single bridge handrail on the entire 70+ mile trail.

Flash Hand
06-12-2006, 15:16
Trash

Rain

Hearing Hikers comes to me, and sorry that no one talked to me. If they don't want to sorry about it, then come over and talk with me. I don't bite.

slippery roots and rocks

a mile long of rocks

snake sleeping in the middle of the trail

lost equipment, especially wallet!

Flash Hand :jump

dreamhiker
06-12-2006, 16:55
Me and a buddy just removed a queen size mattress from an area near Hightower Gap(GA), been there a few weeks. In past years, refrigerators, HW heaters, and now a mattress are among the larger items removed from the AT or close to it. I've heard a few autos have been removed by the authorities also. Fire-Pits full of burned cans and aluminum foil (along with all other forms of litter) always hits the disgusting pet peeve button. Graffiti on shelters, handrails, etc is a very close second. A note on handrail graffiti: the "Foothills Trail" in SC has someones initials on every single bridge handrail on the entire 70+ mile trail.

All this sounds like the doing of locals and not thru-hikers so my point about the shelters being moved out of range of them still stands.
DreamHiker

generoll
06-12-2006, 18:19
yeah, i sometimes let my pack get a bit heavy, but so far i've never stuffed a queen sized mattress into it.

idroptapul
06-12-2006, 21:22
A couple maintenance related peeves....
Bootleg trails (tired or impatient hikers cutting through switchbacks.)
Trail Widening (avoiding muddy patches and walking around)

Hikers who asked trail crews "So when are you guys putting in an escalator?"
My stock reply, "Right after we finish with the air conditioning."

If I had a dime...

Alligator
06-12-2006, 21:23
yeah, i sometimes let my pack get a bit heavy, but so far i've never stuffed a queen sized mattress into it.I've gone ultralight, I'm down to a 3/4 size twin.

corentin
06-12-2006, 21:30
But you can't really beat the comfort of a full size pillow top for backpacking. With box spring of course.

Just Jeff
06-12-2006, 21:37
I like to bring four 10' chains...attach 'em to the corners of my box springs, put an eyebolt into some trees, and I have a hammock suitable for rompin' in. The chains make it easily adjustable, and they're multi-use 'cause I can beat up the cell phone users with them and make a bear leash from them.

The box springs are kinda heavy, though - I usually drag it behind my ATV.

Alligator
06-12-2006, 21:45
LMAO Jeff:D .

jlb2012
06-12-2006, 22:30
A couple maintenance related peeves....
Bootleg trails (tired or impatient hikers cutting through switchbacks.)
Trail Widening (avoiding muddy patches and walking around)

Hikers who asked trail crews "So when are you guys putting in an escalator?"
My stock reply, "Right after we finish with the air conditioning."

If I had a dime...

My maintenance related peeve are maintainers who don't cut blowdowns but rather just put a couple blazes on a walkaround that the hikers have made. In other words an institutionalized walk around annoys me.

Old Hickory MH
06-12-2006, 22:59
Boy scout leaders who take their little darlings out into the woods to camp and then hog all the tent sites and the shelter. Also the wonderful bonfires that can be seen for miles! Yep, lets burn everything we can carry. Hit the rack at 9? Please we came out here to enjoy ourselves, we'll be sure to quiet down by midnight or so.
Someone loves someone else, so lets put in into the trees bark.
Garbage of any kind, that includes cig butts.
Old Hickory

weary
06-12-2006, 23:05
My maintenance related peeve are maintainers who don't cut blowdowns but rather just put a couple blazes on a walkaround that the hikers have made. In other words an institutionalized walk around annoys me.
You may see more of this. The new rules require users of chain saws to be certified, which requires a lot of expensive gear and two or three days of training -- and retraining every 2-3 years.

That's a lot to ask from a volunteer with limited time and other responsibilities. I'm not knocking training. It never hurts and occasionally saves serious injury or worse.

But the rules essentially are a solution to a problem that is more speculation, than reality. At least in years of asking I can't find anyone who knows of many serious chain saw accidents among maintainers.

Weary

Ridge
06-13-2006, 00:51

If permanent, I agree, I especially have issues with reroutes for "trail recovery" purposes. Sometimes flagging around a blockage is used temporarily until a crew can get in and sometimes an unsafe and unsolvable trail problem causes, unfortunately, a permanent walk-around.

Ridge
06-13-2006, 00:59
All this sounds like the doing of locals and not thru-hikers so my point about the shelters being moved out of range of them still stands.DreamHiker

Locals I agree, except the Fire Pit trash comes from all types. Some long distance hikers, who purchased canned and glassed goods in town, don't like to carry them out because of the weight and mess, same goes for the rest of the hikers.

Heater
06-13-2006, 07:37
The chains make it easily adjustable.

They also make a convienient place to attach the handcuffs.

Just Jeff
06-13-2006, 10:46
Naw - I just use the pantyhose...much lighter, and she asked me why she found them in my pack... :o

jlb2012
06-13-2006, 11:16
You may see more of this. The new rules require users of chain saws to be certified, which requires a lot of expensive gear and two or three days of training -- and retraining every 2-3 years.

That's a lot to ask from a volunteer with limited time and other responsibilities. I'm not knocking training. It never hurts and occasionally saves serious injury or worse.

But the rules essentially are a solution to a problem that is more speculation, than reality. At least in years of asking I can't find anyone who knows of many serious chain saw accidents among maintainers.

Weary

Chainsaw certification didn't annoy me cause I never used a chainsaw but when they required crosscut users to be certified - that pissed me off. Fortunately close examination of the way the reg was worded led me to think that a pruning saw does not require certification and so I did most of the blowdown work after that reg using the 21 inch Corona Pro pruning saw. This leads me to another peeve of mine - clubs that don't supply their people with access to good _BACKLESS_ pruning saws - all too often the clubs supply bow saws which are no where as good as a good pruning saw for handling the usual range of blowdowns - that is say 6 to 12 inch cuts - cuts that I did routinely with the Corona Pro and when needed a wedge. I did ultimately get crosscut certified but still it was annoying and I almost never lived up to the letter of the reg for using the crosscut saw - ex I never got a pair of 8 inch leather boots and I would rarely use a hardhat. Well that's all in the past for me now - one hurricane too many and I now have cronic bursitis - no more sawing for me.