PDA

View Full Version : music deprivation on the trail

pants
05-29-2006, 12:44
I have a much closer relationship with the music I listen to than most people. It's not uncommon for me to sit around for hours lost in my iPod, marvelling at how strongly good songs can affect me. Those who share my intense love for music will understand what I mean when I say that sometimes I feel like I am my music, and more than once, in the hardest moments of my life, all that kept me going was that next song which always felt so much more real than my actual life. That said, I'm looking for ideas about how I can survive 6 months without my music. I don't want to bring along my iPod or a walkman (unnecessary technology kind of goes against the reasons I'm hiking in the first place). How have you past thru-hikers dealt with the absense of music on the trail?

Uncle Silly
05-29-2006, 13:39
Carry it with you -- not in the form of something that takes batteries, but in the form of an acoustic instrument that takes your energy and imagination. Harmonicas, pennywhistles, or recorders don't weigh much. Kids' guitars are inexpensive and play like a real guitar. Beginner mandolins are also easy to carry.

On my hikes I refuse to be separated from my music -- and I refuse to carry around a heavy battery-sucking device. I use the solitude as practice time, and time around other hikers as a chance to play for them and maybe get them involved (singing, or drumming on wood or pots or whatever, or jamming with if they're carrying an instrument too).

Search around -- there are several threads here on Whiteblaze about carrying an instrument, and several on small mp3 players if you decide to go that route. Good luck figuring it out...

hikerjohnd
05-29-2006, 14:03
Why not take it with you? You mention unnecessary technology, but it sounds like music is a part of you. To me that means it is necessary. While I would not bring an ipod (weight and recharging issues) there are many lightweight mp3 players on the market that would be easy to bring along.

digger51
05-29-2006, 14:22
Under no circumstances take some device with you that you can plug into your ears and enjoy your music in private. Take some instrument so you can share your noise with every body else. And if you really want to enjoy it more please be like many on the trail and have no ability to play that instrument, but play it at top volume. Seriously though, I carried an Ipod and found it as light as the mp3 players I carried in the past and was able to include more of my music. The chargers are lightweight and you can recharge them every few days at a hostel or while you are in town shopping. Enjoy your hike and your tunes.

Blue Jay
05-29-2006, 20:31
Those who share my intense love for music will understand what I mean when I say that sometimes I feel like I am my music, and more than once, in the hardest moments of my life, all that kept me going was that next song which always felt so much more real than my actual life.

Like all the other good things from the outside world, being away from human music will only make it more powerful and beautiful when you do return to it. I strongly believe that any musician will be both inspired and fulfilled by the sound of the rain, the wind in the trees, the infinite combinations of bird songs, and a thousand other natural sounds. On the trail you don't need human music as much due to your actual life being so much improved.

Footslogger
05-29-2006, 20:52
How have you past thru-hikers dealt with the absense of music on the trail?
=====================================
First off ....although I'm in the Centrum Silver club I'll tell you that music is and always has been a huge part of my life. Music got my through some of the darkest times in my life.

I carried a small AM/FM radio that used a single AAA battery, which was the same size as my headlamp so it was no big deal carrying an extra battery. Whenever I neede a "fix" I donned my earphones and zoned out for a while. I found that I generally could get one or more channels. Granted ...sometimes it wasn't the exact type of music I would have preferred, but it was music.

It's funny because nowadays I occasionally hear a song on the radio that I remember hearing along the trail and I immediately time travel back to those carefree days when my priorities consisted of a place to sleep, water to drink and something to eat,

'Slogger

Blissful
05-29-2006, 20:59
Well, I love my music too - and I like to listen to it mainly at night in my tent. On the trail, I like to see and hear things. But for sure my technological MP3 will play on the trail to drown out the "technology" that one will likely hear quite often - ie - road crossing noises.
And maybe I'll listen on a really steep upward climb when I don't wanna go on...

But I really think the only true solitude your every gonna find is maybe the PCT. :)
or a mid winter's hike

fiddlehead
05-29-2006, 21:32
I see an opportunity for you to really enjoy the silence of nature. The birds make beautiful music. Maybe it doesn't have the rhythm or tonal scale as your western music but it is excellent nontheless. I (personally) usually carry a guitar but find myself only playing it about an hour a day or even less sometimes. I really enjoy the quietness and have found a real comfort walking in nature and hearing it's sounds. (or lack of)
I hiked with a guy who almost always used an mini-disc or radio and so many times i would say to him: "did you hear that" whether it was an elk call or coyote's howling or my favorite: great horned owl call. But he not only didn't hear it, but could hear me asking him either. I felt sorry for him sometimes although he could put the "Chemical Brothers" music on for a big climb and beat me to the top everytime.

snowhoe
05-29-2006, 23:25
Dude if you like music that much you should bring a mp3/ am fm player. I wished so many times I would have had somthing to listen to while I hike or laying in my tent listing to it raining for the 10th night in a row.

Lilred
05-29-2006, 23:43
I'm bringing my Nano. The wall charger is very light and since I can only recharge it in towns, it'll not dominate my hike. I've hiked with it before and it really helped boost my moral when the hiking got rough.

Footslogger
05-30-2006, 08:20
[quote=Lilredmg]I'm bringing my Nano.
==================================
Is that the tiny MP3 that uses a single AAA sized battery ??

'Slogger

icemanat95
05-30-2006, 08:48
iPOD Nano, replaced the IPod mini. Good unit.

I had originally intended to carry a walkman and a selection of tapes, but ultimately left it behind to save weight and space, thinking I would get it back when I sorted out some of the excess...never bothered.

I've been a musician (singer) for almost 30 years now (though I haven't been active for over 10 years. In that time I developed an ability to memorize music pretty quickly, including harmonies. This allowed my brain to become its own MP3 player. Not perfect mind you...sometimes there are annoying gaps where I didn't quite catch something or other. Other times I get a song locked in my head and cannot get rid of it. But typically, the soundtrack synchronizes readily to my mood.

I'll bet that if you left the MP3 player home. you would find a lot of the music locked up in your head and ready to go when you need it. No need for batteries and rechargers. You'll be fine. Many, many musicians and music lovers have hiked the trail long before portable music devices became readily available. You can do it too...if you want to.

Lilred
05-30-2006, 10:40
[quote=Lilredmg]I'm bringing my Nano.
Is that the tiny MP3 that uses a single AAA sized battery ??

'Slogger

No, this is the one with the unreplaceable battery. Therefore, I have to take a wall charger. I haven't weighed the two, but they are very light. I love having my music with me too, and by not using batteries, I'll have to force myself to limit the amount of time I can listen to my ipod daily. Without that forced limit, I'd be listening all the time.

Moon Monster
05-30-2006, 12:37
I found long-distance hiking to become routine and the details of routine can get lost in it. By that I mean it was difficult for me to constantly take in the sounds of nature when I was plugging away miles day after day--it was something I had to make a point to do or else my mind was largely withdrawn from what was in my face.

For me, having music in my ears is an incredibly important part of hiking. I don't do it 100% of the time--more like 50%, but I enjoy that time.

My biggest issue was NEW music. In normal life, I listen to independent radio (like KEXP.org) and surf music blogs and the like. Having only a radio on my thru-hike meant listening to probably less than 300 different songs for 4.5 months. And that takes into account that I listened to every type of station from country to hip hop. Most stations that come in well in the hills are the big conglomerates, usually owned by Clear Channel or Radio One. They have very small playlists.

I loved finding good indy stations on the trail (like WNCW, WXPN, and various college stations), but most are low power and may come in for just hours of your walk. I wish I had an mp3 player at the time. I wish podcasts existed at the time.

the goat
05-30-2006, 13:09
i sing on the trail. i'm the worst singer in the world, but it doesn't matter b/c there's no one to be offended at my butchering of the dead, marley, dylan etc., except the occasional grouse, squirrel or snail....and i'm sure they can deal.

pants
05-31-2006, 03:02
thanks for all the advice, everyone. i guess i might think about bringing an mp3 player along, although i'd be sure to only listen to it at night and during tough climbs. if i don't do that, i might compile a small book of lyrics to most of my favorite songs so i can (poorly) sing them as i'm hiking. either way, i have until february to decide!!

MOWGLI
05-31-2006, 06:47
Look at it as an opportunity for personal growth. Looking at the trail experience as if you're going to be "deprived" is a half empty glass approach. The only thing you're going to be deprived of is regular showers and home cooked meals. There is plenty of new stuff that you'll have an abundance of. Plus, you can look forward to the jukebox at the Port Clinton Hotel in PA.

Footslogger
05-31-2006, 08:31
[quote=Moon Monster]I found long-distance hiking to become routine and the details of routine can get lost in it. By that I mean it was difficult for me to constantly take in the sounds of nature when I was plugging away miles day after day
This is sums it up pretty well for me too ...at least on a long distance hike. I don't hike day in and day out with earbuds, but there were/are many times when an old/new tune helps knock out some otherwise monotonous miles. It's also wothwhile to catch an occasional news or weather update.

Not sure an MP3 would be my choice since you'd be hearing the same tunes over and over again, unless you were regularly updating the playlist ...which is something I personally would not take the time to do on a long distance hike.

'Slogger