PDA

View Full Version : Silk Liners

Mary
03-07-2003, 10:20
I'm thinking about making a quick silk liner for my sleeping bag, and i was wondering if it is best to have 100% silk for the fabric, or if you can use some other kind of blend? Thanks!

Tigger'97
03-07-2003, 11:29
Hi Mary,
There are all sorts of silk out there, so beware!! What I found was called "Thai" silk or "lining" silk. It's the same stuff they use to make the liners you buy online for around $60. It cost me $30 to buy the silk...so a savings of $30!! Not too shabby.

I know other folks use some different types of fabric like fleece or Coolmax. But for bulk and weight, you can't beat silk. I don't know what to tell you about the other blends. There are tons of 100% polyesters out there that look and feel like silk...I just don't know about the breathability or comfort. The nice thing about the poly blend is the price...it's like 3 dollars a yard vs almost $8.

If you need any help making it, just email me and I'd be happy to give you a hand. :)

Jumpstart
03-07-2003, 14:12
Hi mary,

I didn't make my silk liner, but bought the one made by Cocoon, and it was 100%silk. They run about $60 bucks. It was lightweight, and really does keep you warmer in your bag, keeps the bag a THOUSAND times cleaner than without it, and makes a nice bag when it's too hot to even sleep in your "summer weight" bag but need to crawl into something. It was very breathable, and always comfortable. I would say that its one fault was that silk apparently is not incrediblly durable when washed over and over as you do on a thru-hike, as I had to replace mine after about 1200 miles. (also not a problem, as REI replaced it as "defective" for free.) Good luck in the construction of your own, I think you will find you'll be glad to have it.

Presto
03-07-2003, 14:40
We got jagbags - 100% silk mailordered from new zealand for about $25 http://www.jagbags.co.nz/

tlbj6142
03-07-2003, 14:52
Originally posted by Jumpstart
I would say that its one fault was that silk apparently is not incrediblly durable when washed over and over as you do on a thru-hike, as I had to replace mine after about 1200 miles.Kinda hard to find a backwoods laundry mat with a gentle cycle?:D

Hammock Hanger
03-07-2003, 22:13
I made one of 100% silk last year and it actually held up well to the washings. However, it did not come in a very wide width, 45" so it was a bit tight.

I found the silk blend that is used as the outside of sleeping bags at Walmart and made up a few very nice liners out of it.

HH

Hikerhead
03-07-2003, 22:21
Thanks HH for mine. It's nice. You should sell those babies!!

Rhody Bill
03-07-2003, 22:35
I made a bag out of 1.1 oz ripstop (not coated) . bombproof. Started with a 'non woven' nylon bag from Campmor - didn't last past Damascus. Saved the zipper and used it after on the new bag. Got the material from Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics.

Hammock Hanger
03-09-2003, 11:21
You are welcome Hikerhead. Glad you like it. HH:banana

flyfisher
03-14-2003, 14:17
Originally posted by tlbj6142
Kinda hard to find a backwoods laundry mat with a gentle cycle?:D

But easy to choose "hand wash"