PDA

View Full Version : Summer Sausage

Fat Man Walking
05-29-2006, 19:36
I have taken summer sausage in the past for my lunches, snacks, etc and have had good luck as far as spoilage, etc. But, I have always bought it just before I went, cut and packaged (Seal-a-meal).

My question for all of you trail gormets, I got a long summer sausage for Christmas and put it in the freezer. Will I have problems with spoilage after I thaw it? I would think not because of the salt content in the meat but just want some reassurance.

Thanks

:-?

Doctari
05-29-2006, 20:28
By "Long" how long is that?

I find I eat about 3" to 4" a day of summer sausage, if I restrain myself. So, 12" = 3 to 4 days. The summer sausages I have bought, lasts much longer than that if kept in a zip lock & as cool as possible. Off topic but then maybe not: To go with your sausage, get as hard a cheese as you can stand/find. My favorite is Extra Sharp New York Cheddar. 2nd favorite is a good Swiss (NOT Baby swiss). Other cheese choices: Other cheddars, Gouda, Colby. Poor choices in cheese: American, Brick, Philly cream, Velveta.
For bread: I like Pita &/or tortillas. Seems to keep best IMHO.

Doctari.

Skidsteer
05-29-2006, 20:28
I have taken summer sausage in the past for my lunches, snacks, etc and have had good luck as far as spoilage, etc. But, I have always bought it just before I went, cut and packaged (Seal-a-meal).

My question for all of you trail gormets, I got a long summer sausage for Christmas and put it in the freezer. Will I have problems with spoilage after I thaw it? I would think not because of the salt content in the meat but just want some reassurance.

Thanks

:-?

We're all vegans and wouldn't think of eating sausage....not! Just kidding.

I suspect many different factors will affect it.
-sanitary conditions of the processing plant
-salt content and other preservatives
-age of the sausage
-length of time out of the freezer/refrigerator
- average storage temperature in your food bag(pretty important, I'll bet)
-type of meat(pork, beef, chicken, venison, etc.)
-fat content of meat

Hopefully a real expert like Sarbar will add their opinion. I'd like to know more about it myself.

You could always use the sausage in your cooked meals(boiling water kills many nasties)if in doubt.

Fat Man Walking
05-29-2006, 21:18
Thanks for the replies.

This is a Hillshire Farms product. It is 13 inches long and 2.5 inches in diameter.

I agree with the cheese additives and I like to take Triscuit crackers but have been doing the Pita bread thing as well.

The label serving size is 2 ounces and it has something like 27% daily requirements for sodium per serving size so, I would think the salt content was fairly high.

My plans are to thaw it, slice it on a meat slicer then, seal it in individual meal pouches.

I'll have two mail drops, one I will hand deliver the other through UPS/Fed EX or USPS. Or, I may just leave a little earlier to get there so I can drop it off myself so I can control the environmental concerns.

Again was just curious if anyone else had any thoughts as to spoilage issues.

Thanks again.

See Yall up the trail.

Fat Man Walking
05-29-2006, 21:18
It is a beef product.

sarbar
05-29-2006, 23:39
Lol...I have to admit..sausage is one thing I cannot eat anymore. Stupid dr's and low sodium diets.
But to be honest, when I did each such items, I would *gasp* buy small tiny summer sausages (for instance Cost Plus World Market sells them, as does Minimus.biz) and have those. I could never eat enough of the big massive SS's to make it worthwhile.
Though I have friends that carry freakin' 2 lb logs with them and gnaw on them constantly...and it doesn't seem those things go bad fast :p Probably because of teh salt and preservatives in them..lol!