PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Hagas

The Scribe
05-29-2006, 20:53
Hey all

Got a question about the Gulf Hagas loop.

Was up in northern Maine this weekend and went from Greenville over to Katahdin Ironworks. Went by the trail crossing and the parking lot for The Hermitage.

Am thinking about the Gulf Hagas loop for a dayhike next time we go up there.

The question is:

How is the Gulf Hagas loop for an inexperienced hiker? Would like to take the other half with me when I go. There is not much in the AMC guide that gives an indication (in typical AMC terms) how hard it is. The other handouts I collected this weekend mention it is not an easy hike.

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance.

The Scribe.

weary
05-29-2006, 22:05
Hey all

Was up in northern Maine this weekend and went from Greenville over to Katahdin Ironworks. Went by the trail crossing and the parking lot for The Hermitage.

The question is:

How is the Gulf Hagas loop for an inexperienced hiker? Would like to take the other half with me when I go. There is not much in the AMC guide that gives an indication (in typical AMC terms) how hard it is. The other handouts I collected this weekend mention it is not an easy hike.

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance.

The Scribe.
If you take all the side trails to overlooks and waterfalls -- and you absolutely should -- It's a long day, but not a terribly arduous day.

I have always found it an excellent day trip. That means, of course, that you should set up your night plans in advance. AMC's Little Lyford Pond camp is one possibility. One of the North Maine Woods tent campsites at Hay Brook is equally ideal -- and offers a nice additional waterfall as a bonus..

Any of the Monson accomodations are also fine.

Weary

The Scribe
05-30-2006, 09:41
Was hoping that would be the answer I would get. She can do the miles, just doesn't have a lot of "off-road" experience.

Hope you are well.

The Scribe.

Shutterbug
05-30-2006, 10:49
Hey all

The question is:

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance.

The Scribe.

My wife and I did it two years ago. It is a lot of fun. We plan to do it again this fall.

Remember to take appropriate foot wear to ford the river. It detracts from the fun to start out with wet feet.

Being from Washington state, I was a little disappointed by the "Hermitage." I had read that there were some really big trees in the Hermitage. I guess it is all a matter of perspective. Out here in Washington, those White Pines wouldn't be considered "big" trees. Still, it is a beautiful area and hiking the Gulf Hagas trail is well woth the effort.

weary
05-30-2006, 11:03
My wife and I did it two years ago. It is a lot of fun. We plan to do it again this fall.

Remember to take appropriate foot wear to ford the river. It detracts from the fun to start out with wet feet.

Being from Washington state, I was a little disappointed by the "Hermitage." I had read that there were some really big trees in the Hermitage. I guess it is all a matter of perspective. Out here in Washington, those White Pines wouldn't be considered "big" trees. Still, it is a beautiful area and hiking the Gulf Hagas trail is well woth the effort.
Think "old" not big. Pines are "pioneer" species. They grow in cleared areas and old burns. The Hermitage pines are several hundred years old -- about as old as most eastern trees get.

BTW in an earlier post I mentioned housing possibilities in Monson. I should have said Brownville. Monson is quite a long haul away on the other side of the mountains.

BTW2. It is not necessary to wade the Pleasant River to reach Gulf Hagas. The main parking lot requires wading, but ask as you go through the gate. Take the "high bridge" to the Hay Brook camping lots and pick up the trail to the Gulf from the east.

Well wet feet remain a possibility. There's still Hay Brook and Gulf Hagas Stream, both wet, but not as wide as the river.

Weary

Blue Jay
05-30-2006, 12:19

The question is:

How is the Gulf Hagas loop for an inexperienced hiker? Would like to take the other half with me when I go. What do you all think?

Another advantage to doing this loop is that it is sooo beautiful she will become completely addicted to hiking.

boarstone
05-30-2006, 20:26
[quote=The Scribe]Hey all

The question is:

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance.

The Scribe
The Hay Brook way into the Gulf is ROUGH! The logging company was just in there last year and left it a mess. Beaverflowage overflow at bottom of hill going into Hay Brook as you come down off the mountain side. Rocks, potholes, wetholes. Have had a lot of high wind, take a saw/axe to clear any fallen trees/brush.This I do when I go in here weekly through K.I. and Jo-Mary, fishing/photography. I can be reached at [email protected] for current updates/questions of these areas. The sign for High Bridge/Hay Brook turn-off has been run over by a log truck, so is "out-of-service".

Askus3
05-31-2006, 02:06
It is definitely a moderate dayhike worth doing. I did it on a rainy day and it was fun. Took all the spur trails and saw all the waterfalls. No complaints. Here is a link to my photo collection (http://community.webshots.com/photo/361716571/1365189372063208931ivUQXT) of the Gulf Hagas. See pictures GH03-GH12. This will give you an idea of what you will be seeing. The trail and Pleasant River crossing is fun. We enjoyed the ford - kind of refreshing. Statistics: For us (my two friends and I) the hike with all its spurs was 8.8 miles involving 1440 feet of elevation gain and it took with the two river fords (coming and going) a duration of 6 1/2 hours hiking time (that includes stops).