PDA

View Full Version : Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega

tomman
05-29-2006, 23:21
In the dates section I saw refernce to this hostel. I had looked them up before and was planning to FEDEX or UPS my backpack to them and have them pick me up at the airport, I do not trust the airlines with mt backpack. Then I willl spend the night at the hostel and have them take me to the AT the next day.

Has anyone on the net tried this with them or other places?

Cherokee Tom:-?

Lilred
05-29-2006, 23:47
I haven't sent a backpack through UPS to them, but I have used them as a starting point for one of my section hikes and they are wonderful people. It is a great experience and one that shouldn't be missed, imho. I'm sure there would be no problem with the mailing.

tiamalle
05-30-2006, 01:31
I haven't sent a backpack through UPS to them, but I have used them as a starting point for one of my section hikes and they are wonderful people. It is a great experience and one that shouldn't be missed, imho. I'm sure there would be no problem with the mailing.Josh & Leigh at the hiker hostel are great,

ivanputski
05-30-2006, 08:57
I did that this year. It was expensive to send my backpack UPS ahead of my flight. I think it was around 40.00 whe I could have just checked it as baggage on the flight. The hostel is a wonderfull place to stay and a great start to your hike. Highly recommended.:sun

ARambler
05-30-2006, 09:41
The hostel is a wonderfull place to stay and a great start to your hike. Highly recommended.:sun
Agree.
Consider using a duffel (and a carry-on bag for the most fragile items) to carry your stuff to Atlanta.
The duffel can then be mailed home.
I have friends who do this and I am considering it for this months trip to Alaska.
Rambler

hikerjohnd
05-30-2006, 11:34
Josh and Leigh are fantastic - can not say enough good about them!!! They have shuttled me a couple of times now and I would not hesitate to call them again. Happy hiking!

UnkaJesse
05-30-2006, 13:31
I can't speak for other services they offer, but I used them this weekend for a shuttle and vehicle storage. They are very reliable and good people to work with. I'll definately use them again.

Blissful
05-30-2006, 19:14
Wonder if they would shuttle from Fontana Dam and how much? My dh is hiking with us for two weeks and will need a shuttle back to his car at Amicalola Falls.

MOWGLI
05-30-2006, 19:17
Wonder if they would shuttle from Fontana Dam and how much? My dh is hiking with us for two weeks and will need a shuttle back to his car at Amicalola Falls.

I donno, but that is REALLY pretty far. 2+ hours of windy roads - one way. What's a dh?

Footslogger
05-30-2006, 19:20
What's a dh?
============================
I hope he doesn't tell us !!

We could start a new thread called ...What's a "dh". It would last forever.

'Slogger

Skidsteer
05-30-2006, 19:24
I donno, but that is REALLY pretty far. 2+ hours of windy roads - one way. What's a dh?

Blissful is an American League pitcher. Or she likes to call her husband Dear Heart.

the goat
05-30-2006, 20:09
i've checked my backpack as luggage on many occasions, the same one that i use to thru-hike, in fact. never had anything go wrong, even on my most recent multi-city euro-tour-de-goat. even w/ multiple layovers. they'll even give you a big-ass tray/bucket to place it in (my bag is 5800 cu. in.) so the straps don't get caught in the luggage conveyor belts. best of luck on your hike!

Blissful
05-31-2006, 19:15
Blissful is an American League pitcher. Or she likes to call her husband Dear Heart.

You got that right. And he just announced the other day he is giving up his company's trip to Hawaii next year so he can support my thru hike (in other words, he wanted me to go, but thought it wouldn't be good for me to stop my hike for that amount of time). Now if that isn't a DH (with capitol letters no less) I don't know what is!!! This guy has been great and so supportive.

:sun

Skidsteer
05-31-2006, 20:04
You got that right. And he just announced the other day he is giving up his company's trip to Hawaii next year so he can support my thru hike (in other words, he wanted me to go, but thought it wouldn't be good for me to stop my hike for that amount of time). Now if that isn't a DH (with capitol letters no less) I don't know what is!!! This guy has been great and so supportive.

:sun

Wow. That's serious support. Best wishes on your thru-hike and God bless your DH(and you).

mnof1000v
06-01-2006, 11:18
The Hiker Hostel is really nice, and the folks that run it are great people. That's where I started my hike. The breakfast alone is worth a stay! And Josh and Leigh will answer your emails or phone calls. I believe their website is HikerHostel.com. Their contact info is available on that site, so I'm sure you can find out about shuttles, addresses, and whatnot.

Happy hiking!

brz
06-01-2006, 11:34
I used them. I put my pack in a surplus gi duffle bag. when I got to atlanta, i just ditched the duffle. My flight was cancled 3 times and I got into atlanta 5 hours late. I always checked to see where my bag was BEFORE i got on the next plane. The folks at the hiker hostel where right there waiting for me. I had no way to notify them that my flight had been delayed. It takes about an hour to get from airport over the local train MARTA to the pick up point. getting to Springer couldn't be much easier.

domnokmis
06-01-2006, 13:36
Agree.
Consider using a duffel (and a carry-on bag for the most fragile items) to carry your stuff to Atlanta.
The duffel can then be mailed home.You can also buy a used duffel or suitcase at a Goodwill or Salavation Army store and just toss it away when you get to Atlanta. I wouldn't recommend just leaving it at the airport, though. If security sees you leaving a bag and hurrying out of the terminal they may get a tad suspicious:)

MoodyBluer
06-01-2006, 13:42

Josh told me last yr. that they only shuttle to points in GA...

QHShowoman
06-01-2006, 13:57
Wonder if they would shuttle from Fontana Dam and how much?

That is a long way to shuttle ...

mweinstone
06-01-2006, 17:14
you dont need no stinkin shuttle ,dont send your pack ahead , and dont skip the approtch trail. get that pack on your back right now and start walkin buddy.you survived being on oxygin and being 70, your doin just fine thank you very much. what do you think your doing planning in this way? why , someone might get the idea your old. well your not! you got 30 maby 40 years left so start liftin and get on down that trail.im startin nex feb 18th so ill see ya brother. matthewskis the name .

Blissful
06-01-2006, 19:48
That is a long way to shuttle ...

Yeah, the max for sure. I read in old guides though where people were shuttling as far as Fontana Dam (Wingfoot's back in the 90's!). I was hoping that someone out there still does in the 21st century. :)

Oh, did get a lead though which is great.

Nearly Normal
06-01-2006, 21:12
I've stayed there a few times and each time is a pleasure. They've continued to upgrade the hostel and it's better each time. Call or e-mail them if you have questions. They go out of their way to help.
Pete

Nean
06-02-2006, 00:21
Well, I better put in my 2 cents:
Josh and Leigh are wonderful people and the HikerHostel is great! So much so that most newbies are disappointed w/ many of the hostels that follow.:o I highly recommend thier place!!:)

tomman
08-09-2006, 02:59
Thanks to everyone for the great information. maybe iI will meet some of you on the trail.

Cherokee Tom

mrc237
08-09-2006, 05:30
Try Jeff at the Hike Inn at Fontana he offers shuttles. 828 479 3677 or hikeinn.com

mweinstone
08-09-2006, 07:00
its someones house and the bunk room affords no privacy or hiker fun. the door was shut soo hikers could sleep while family stayed up watching the acadamy awards. with the door shut it was stifiling. we felt as if we were being watched very closely as they have a family worker sleeping in the bunk house. the shuttle guy .soo next comes the incredibly extra loud loud loud tv and the not sleeping and the stfiling heat and the breakfast. oh my lord! it was so so so embarassing. there was not enough food so everyone took tiny tiny bits of egg and a slice of bacon and a shard of toast and a shot of oj. no appologie, they just went cheap on our asses.its gross. its all rich and dust free and timberframed and hiker dirt is the last thing they really want. these folks are in it for the money. i found them snooty and unaware of hikers wants or needs.

Nightwalker
08-09-2006, 07:18
its someones house and the bunk room affords no privacy or hiker fun. the door was shut soo hikers could sleep while family stayed up watching the acadamy awards. with the door shut it was stifiling. we felt as if we were being watched very closely as they have a family worker sleeping in the bunk house. the shuttle guy .soo next comes the incredibly extra loud loud loud tv and the not sleeping and the stfiling heat and the breakfast. oh my lord! it was so so so embarassing. there was not enough food so everyone took tiny tiny bits of egg and a slice of bacon and a shard of toast and a shot of oj. no appologie, they just went cheap on our asses.its gross. its all rich and dust free and timberframed and hiker dirt is the last thing they really want. these folks are in it for the money. i found them snooty and unaware of hikers wants or needs.Except that the owners are thrus, they let us do pretty much what we wanted, stuffed us the next morning, and were some of the kindest people that I've met.

You're entitled to your opinion, but it's a minority one.

And they don't do it for the money. They barely break even. The tax breaks, OTOH, allow them to live in a great house that's only heavily filled for a few months per year.

Nean
08-09-2006, 08:41
Except that the owners are thrus, they let us do pretty much what we wanted, stuffed us the next morning, and were some of the kindest people that I've met.

You're entitled to your opinion, but it's a minority one.

And they don't do it for the money. They barely break even. The tax breaks, OTOH, allow them to live in a great house that's only heavily filled for a few months per year.

Well said Nightwalker. Running a hostel is not easy and no matter who you are and how hard you try- you can't please everyone. Maybe they just wanted to make sure you didn't stay another night mweinstone, though I can't imagine why? :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Tabasco
08-09-2006, 08:48
I'll third that Nean. I stayed with Josh and Leigh a couple years ago, two of the finest people I have ever had the pleasure of staying with. WAY WAY too much food, way too nice, all around some great people.

Lone Wolf
08-09-2006, 11:14
its someones house and the bunk room affords no privacy or hiker fun. the door was shut soo hikers could sleep while family stayed up watching the acadamy awards. with the door shut it was stifiling. we felt as if we were being watched very closely as they have a family worker sleeping in the bunk house. the shuttle guy .soo next comes the incredibly extra loud loud loud tv and the not sleeping and the stfiling heat and the breakfast. oh my lord! it was so so so embarassing. there was not enough food so everyone took tiny tiny bits of egg and a slice of bacon and a shard of toast and a shot of oj. no appologie, they just went cheap on our asses.its gross. its all rich and dust free and timberframed and hiker dirt is the last thing they really want. these folks are in it for the money. i found them snooty and unaware of hikers wants or needs.
You're a miserable, selfish ingrate.

bigmac_in
08-09-2006, 11:24
Short & Sweet L.Wolf and very well said. I have never heard a negative comment about the Hiker Hostel or Josh & Leigh. Maybe the problem is with the one dissenter in the group????

I wouldn't be the first time something strange has come from mweinstone............

Frosty
08-09-2006, 16:10
with the door shut it was stifiling.

oh my lord! it was so so so embarassing. there was not enough food so everyone took tiny tiny bits of egg and a slice of bacon and a shard of toast and a shot of oj. no appologie, they just went cheap on our asses.its gross.

i found them snooty and unaware of hikers wants or needs.Come on, man. I know you post some wild crap here, and lots of your posts are funny in a weird, eccentric way, but this one isn't funny at all.

You were there in February, were you not? Stifling? The rooms have windows.

I also simply do not believe the part about breakfast. I have stayed there several times and have yet to see all the food eaten. This is simply not true and if you were trying to be humorous, you owe them an aopolgy.

They are very aware of hikers needs, and very concerned about hikers. I am amazed that you would post this.

cannonball
08-09-2006, 16:24
Come on, man. I know you post some wild crap here, and lots of your posts are funny in a weird, eccentric way, but this one isn't funny at all.

You were there in February, were you not? Stifling? The rooms have windows.

I also simply do not believe the part about breakfast. I have stayed there several times and have yet to see all the food eaten. This is simply not true and if you were trying to be humorous, you owe them an aopolgy.

They are very aware of hikers needs, and very concerned about hikers. I am amazed that you would post this.

The Academy awards are towards the end of March. Lends one to believe that the truth of MS groupies story is elusive.

mweinstone
08-09-2006, 18:42
okay i must have imagined it. you guys werent there. it sucked and thats that. sorry. i like the guy who discounts the breakfast being small. maby they were out of food and diddnt say sorry.thats how i read it. and some breakfast is breakfast. whos gonna care? i diddnt. im just reporting my take on it.and why would you even get so freaked out by a claim of a little breakfast? i think the only thing i said witch would be hard to interpret is that they seemed like money grabbers and people who diddnt trust the dozen hikers staying that night including yatsee and jaywalker and cedar mo.but who knows what dynamic was going on in the house when we pulled in? they seemed very distant and well ill shut up to please all.

mweinstone
08-09-2006, 18:48
i love when the sargent at arms comes out into the middle of the court and just bayonetts someone thru the chest for upsetting the court.ya gotta love this shi*.
matt hates a hostle, africa withers
join the navy,yvan eht nioj.
matt reports a small breakfast,children starve.
matt calls a man a snob,countrys launch icbm's
matthewski

max patch
08-09-2006, 19:01
i think the only thing i said witch would be hard to interpret is that they seemed like money grabbers and people who diddnt trust the dozen hikers staying that night

The claim of "money grabbers" is ridiculous. The amount they charge for a shuttle from Atlanta to the hostel plus lodging plus meals is actually not nearly enough in my opinion. For what they charge they obviously enjoy providing this service to hikers. They can't be making any serious money at the rates they are charging.

Frosty
08-09-2006, 19:16
The claim of "money grabbers" is ridiculous. The amount they charge for a shuttle from Atlanta to the hostel plus lodging plus meals is actually not nearly enough in my opinion. For what they charge they obviously enjoy providing this service to hikers. They can't be making any serious money at the rates they are charging.I paid $55 for their Thru-Hiker Special in 2005. It included pickup in Atlanta, a stop at a grocery store on the way to the Hostel, alcohol for my stove, a night's lodging, breakfast, and a shuttle to FS Road 42.

I understand with the price of gas, they have increased the charge to $62. This is still less than the average cost to get shuttled from Atlanta to Springer, never mind the lodging, breakfast, etc. I have no idea how they can stay in business at those rates.

With the Hiker hostel and Blueberry Patch, Georgia certainly rates high on the hiker accomdations scale :)

Dances with Mice
08-09-2006, 19:54
With the Hiker hostel and Blueberry Patch, Georgia certainly rates high on the hiker accomdations scale :)But wait! There's more! (http://www.upperhightowertrout.com/cloud9.htm)

mweinstone
08-09-2006, 20:54
the shuttle only ever has one rider and no money is made. one night in camp a discusion about the amount a hostle makes per season was had. they make money.at miss janets the night i stayed there were about 20 of us.we each gave 20 bucks and many gave more.

Frosty
08-09-2006, 21:18
But wait! There's more! (http://www.upperhightowertrout.com/cloud9.htm)I know. Smile was telling me about it at Muskrat Creek, and I met the owner at Ron's Hiker Bash. So now Dicks Creek Gap has Hiawasse, the Blueberry Patch, and Cloud Nine. Wow, an embarrassment of riches.

Lone Wolf
08-09-2006, 22:31
the shuttle only ever has one rider and no money is made. one night in camp a discusion about the amount a hostle makes per season was had. they make money.at miss janets the night i stayed there were about 20 of us.we each gave 20 bucks and many gave more.
You're still an unappreciative ***n ingrate.:cool:

StarLyte
08-09-2006, 22:39
You're still an unappreciative ***n ingrate.:cool:

I feel love in the air.

Lone Wolf
08-09-2006, 22:44
I feel love in the air.
I don't hate this guy but I want to bitch slap him. He lives in America. He's got it made. Bitchin about a slice of bacon. *** him.:cool:

Nean
08-10-2006, 00:28
Don't hold back LW! Tell us how you really feel.;)

PeterB
08-11-2006, 17:13
Don't forget the daily 5 pm shuttle from Woody Gap. From the companion:

Bunk & B $15, private & B $34D; 5 p.m. pick-up at
Woody Gap, Feb 27–Apr 30.

A bargain at $15 - on your 2nd or 3rd night, you can show up at Woody gap, catch the shuttle, get a shower, order pizza, have a great breakfast, and get shuttled back in the morning.

It is a great place to stay.

hikerjohnd
08-11-2006, 20:44
I don't hate this guy but I want to bitch slap him. He lives in America. He's got it made. Bitchin about a slice of bacon. *** him.:cool:

Next time I'm in Damascus, you're getting free beer!

Lone Wolf
08-11-2006, 20:48
Next time I'm in Damascus, you're getting free beer!
The beer is on me my friend.

Frosty
08-11-2006, 23:56
The beer is on me Bummer. Gotta hold onto that bottle a little tighter.

tiamalle
08-12-2006, 20:37
I know. Smile was telling me about it at Muskrat Creek, and I met the owner at Ron's Hiker Bash. So now Dicks Creek Gap has Hiawasse, the Blueberry Patch, and Cloud Nine. Wow, an embarrassment of riches.I met you mweinstone when you stayed with us and I shuttled you to Wayah Bald.I'm sure anyone can have a bad experience but Frosty I agree 100%.Josh and Leigh have always shown hiker friendlyness to everyone.I personally think they are a asset to the hiker community in and
around Dahlonega.I think they are very good to hikers.

mweinstone
08-12-2006, 20:55
i would like to sell you crop insurance.

im not sayin anything other than it was hot,and i felt unwelcome and the breakfast was small. i also know their an asset. and anyone can have a bad exspirence. at standing bear i soaped up and the shower went cold and i couldnt get under it to rinse. then i used a super mildewed towel and walked off with 40 dollars worth of 2 year old cheese and bugs in the slimjims, smelling like crap for two days. but curtiss and mari and me had a supper blast and became friends and sang and played song and roared with laughter. the next day on the trail i gave my food to thoro ,clothspins dog and cursed a bit and forgott it. im not cryin. but i think it worth noting that early thru hikers need to watch food stuffs for edibility due to some hostel stores not having restocked for the season yet. curtis and his wife were a good vibe. so what if matthewski diddnt get a good vibe from so and so? so what?and you sir i will never ever forget. from your tour of the bombers cave you gave me and mrs gorp to your wresteling carreer and your lettuce buissness brain storm. when i tell the lettuce story i say that you invented shredded lettuce! and mr x 2, and all about the snake handelers and the con men who came to church . your the best best!see ya next year.

tiamalle
08-13-2006, 00:41
i would like to sell you crop insurance.

im not sayin anything other than it was hot,and i felt unwelcome and the breakfast was small. i also know their an asset. and anyone can have a bad exspirence. at standing bear i soaped up and the shower went cold and i couldnt get under it to rinse. then i used a super mildewed towel and walked off with 40 dollars worth of 2 year old cheese and bugs in the slimjims, smelling like crap for two days. but curtiss and mari and me had a supper blast and became friends and sang and played song and roared with laughter. the next day on the trail i gave my food to thoro ,clothspins dog and cursed a bit and forgott it. im not cryin. but i think it worth noting that early thru hikers need to watch food stuffs for edibility due to some hostel stores not having restocked for the season yet. curtis and his wife were a good vibe. so what if matthewski diddnt get a good vibe from so and so? so what?and you sir i will never ever forget. from your tour of the bombers cave you gave me and mrs gorp to your wresteling carreer and your lettuce buissness brain storm. when i tell the lettuce story i say that you invented shredded lettuce! and mr x 2, and all about the snake handelers and the con men who came to church . your the best best!see ya next year.Look forward to see ya again and hope you give the hiker hostel
a second chance.Mrs Gorp was a very nice guest also.Enjoy your hike and good luck.PS if you see Crutch say hello.

highway
09-08-2006, 05:36
He explained to me how to take MARTA from the Atlanta airport and was at the end of the Marta line shortly after I arrived to take me and my pack to Amicalola Falls in the afternoon of April 28, 2004. He was quite friendly, very courteous, filled my alcohol container and since i had little time took me directly to the trail, instead of staying with them overnight at the hikerhostal. The experience was pleasurable enough that I have already called to set up the same for next April (I'll confirm actual date later) but this time i will stay with them overnight. So, based upon my experience, and just with Josh, I would choose to discount that single negative poster's strange and peculiar rantings.

Sly
09-08-2006, 07:31
mattewski burns three hostels in one thread. No doubt he'll be repeating the same stories next year, burning the same bridges as he attempts thruhike number ??? I hope the owners are taking notes...

some people should just stay in the woods

mweinstone
09-08-2006, 08:09
what are you? im gonna be nice and hope im even welcome at hh . wouldnt want to show up wet frozen and desprate only to be shunned.and i never said they tryed to kill me or take my pack. i said they were ailens from pluto but in a god way.and when i said i snuck out in the night and went joy riding in there truck, i ment regular riding. and when i said breakfast was small i ment the people were dressed nice. and when i said they were evil doers, i ment that they had good singing voices.and they did have one redeeming quality youll like,...i dont think they liked when i farted really loud and repetedly for 5 or 10 minutes at the breakfast table. i thaught it was a break wind festival.and finally, the large bag of crack josh found in my sock was for another hiker.i was just holding it for him. all is good and the delongians will sleep well tonight having all this cleared up. see ya after feb 18th hiker hostel.okay? please? ill bring you some of that chopped liver you love so much! with sugar on top? okay.

Sly
09-08-2006, 08:16
LOL... much better...

mweinstone
09-14-2006, 18:00
the unknown man was laid to rest today leaving his worldly fortune to the hiker hostel in dalonga . a brief note the deseced wished read at the service by his lawer stated he wished for his remains to be contained under the porch of the hiker hostle with a plak to read" matthewski,our only unsatisfied customer"

this is funny and might be nice.a tradition of spitting on the plak as thruhikers arrive and depart could work.