PDA

View Full Version : The 2.5" Thick 800fill Down Blanket w/footpocket

RagingHampster
03-07-2003, 12:44
Well I took a 4hr nap with it at a lean-to with my dual-stacked, 3/4 Length Z-Rests. Temperature was 30*F. I was wearing a polyester T-shirt & convertible pants, Mountain Hardware Chugach Polarguard 3D jacket, Black Diamond powerstretch gloves, and TNF 300weight fleece windstopper highpoint hat. Also had smartwool socks.

Sleeping on stacked 3/4 length pads, and having nothing between my legs and the wooden floor but the thin polyester pants, my calfs were cold. My feet were toasty in the footpocket, as well as the rest of me.

The blanket is way to light. There was a little breeze, and it kept lifting edges of the blanket up. I quickly lost heat, and was forced to stuff the blanket in around me, and lay motionless.

Although the 800fill down lofts well, it still does not have the density of a 550 or 600fill down. I feel that there is a huge insulative difference between 2.5" of 600fill and 2.5" of 800fill. I also got my blanket wet. I fell asleep for a couple hours, and woke up to find that a light rain had blown into the lean-to. 1/3 of the bag had become the consistency of packing peanuts, and the compressed tucked areas on my left hand side were no longer insulating me after being lightly wetted. Not cool. When compared to a bag, I don't feel you gain any insulation on the bottom side, but the loft between your legs and around your body definetly helps.

I have noticed that the weight/bulk savings of a 3/4 pad forces you to devise lower leg baselayers which will insulate you from the floor/ground. This adds weight.

Conclusions...

I'm pissed. Lots of hassle & money (~$160 & countless hours) for a product I will not be using.

800fill down sucks. No density. Balls with little moisture.

Blanket design sucks. Big Agnes Mummy type bag, and Nunatuk tubes would be the ideal choice.

I have seen the light however. I recently tried an insulation I fell in love with. Out with my 600fill Blue Kazoo, and out with my 800fill blanket. Polarguard Delta (the new Polarguard 3D variant) is the way to go. About as light as 600fill down, but about as dense as 500fill down. Synthetic so it keeps working when damp, and packs like 600fill down. Costs about 1/2 what 800fill down costs as well. Add to this that no baffeling is needed, and the final product is equal in weight to an 800fill product. The product I used was a TNF Flight Long. Rated to 35*F, but I feel it's more like 25-30*F. A friend let me borrow it as a comparison to use with the blanket. I slipped into it after the 4hr blanket ordeal, caught the same wind whipped rain, and stayed warm, even when the temp dipped down into the mid 20's (I retained the same clothing & jacket). It had TNF's new 9in "Expander panel" which allowed me to wear an insulated jacet and fit my wide frame in what was a 64" girth bag. Needless to say I bought one when I got home. $160. Weight for the long bag is 2lb 3oz. The zip in panel adds 9oz, but this would be reduced to 4.5oz if it was sewn in, rather than zipped in. Thus a net weight of 2lb 8oz for a very roomy synthetic 35*F (more like 25*F) bag. 8oz more than I planned, but I'm still around 13.5lbs for a dry pack weight.

jlb2012
03-07-2003, 13:06
Yo RH - are you interested in selling that down blanket you won't be using ? If so I would be interested in talking to you about buying it - email me: hog_on_ice at hotmail dot com if you are interested in selling it

tlbj6142
03-07-2003, 14:09
Given the wind issue, I guess that is why they put 2-3 straps on the Arch Alpinist and Ghost Blankets from Nunatak.

Sucks about the rain.

RagingHampster
03-08-2003, 10:24
I'm going to try a few more things with the blanket. Velcro down the outter edges which will hitch to my pad, and a couple more ties which will form a knee high pocket rather than an ankle high one. Let me think about selling it awhile. I'm still emotionally attatched from the time I put in it :( :p...

I can't stress my excitement about Polarguard Delta enough though! Try something out that uses it!

Dirtyoldman
03-08-2003, 10:46
might want to consider using one full pad and one 3/4 pad

Fallingwater
03-08-2003, 11:14
I couldn't tell from your post what the shell material was for your down blanket. However, from the description it sounded like 1.1 rip-stop nylon.

I also suspect it didn't have a DWR finish on the material. Which is true for most fabrics like that purchased at a retail or online fabric source.The standard 1.1 nylon will probably just wick the moisture landing on the blanket straight to the down, making matters worse.

A good choice of shell fabrics will go a long way in keeping your down dry and you warm. The two hot choices at the moment are Epic and Pertex. Or a good microfiber fabric with a DWR finish.

Epic maybe purchased from http://www.owareusa.com or you can get Pertex from some of the online fabric houses in Canada. I don't have any current links.

Colter
03-08-2003, 16:35
That's why they invented sleeping bags. : )

RagingHampster
03-09-2003, 03:16
I still don't feel you gain much of an insulation factor from having crushed loft under your back and down to your butt. This is probably about 25% of the bag, or ~3/4lb for most 20*F Long Bags. I also learned first hand that 800fill down sucks.

I did indeed use uncoated 1.1oz Ripstop Nylon for my blanket, and would next time opt for some type of DWR finish.

My new TNF Flight Long has a new lightweight almost see-through top with a DWR teatment, the bottom is tough taffeta, and the inside is Pertex Silken, even more silky than traditional Pertex. Fill is 15oz of Polarguard Delta. The final product weighing in at 2lb 3oz gets most its weight from the tough taffeta bottom, and the big honkin zipper. I would like to see a flight bag made without the taffeta, replacing it with the new composite upper material, and going with a smaller zipper. I think this would cut the weight to under the 2lb margin. Adding a few shoulder inches would also allow me to wear my coat in it for a more versatile sleep system.

Colter
03-09-2003, 11:04
I have to say that your conclusion that "800 fill down sucks" is flat wrong. I used a 29 oz. 800 fill bag on my thru-hike and was toasty warm every single night.

The fault wasn't in the down, it was in the quilt, and the fact that you were sleeping in the rain!!

Quilts aren't as warm as bags. Period. Jardine's general theory on packing light is right on, his idea on quilts doesn't fly. People are learning that lesson by the hundreds. Sure, a quilt is great if it's fairly warm, but that's not when you want the insulation the most!

The theory about the crushed insulation is a good one, and as a matter of fact many years before the quilt fad I thought it would be a good idea to have a bag with no insulation on the bottom and a way to secure a sleeping pad on the inside to serve as insulation. That's still a bag though.

On a properly fitting sleeping bag, the percentage of insulation crushed directly beneath you is relatively small. The big advantage of a bag is that there aren't the huge, chilling drafts rushing in, and that outweighs, by a mile, the theoretical advantages of quilts. No matter how you roll around, there will be insulation around you.

Think about it, in order to make sure you are properly covered with a quilt, you have to make it huge. By this time, it's just about as big as a sleeping bag, except you can't zip it up.

Down still reigns supreme for weight/vs insulation, despite years and millions of dollars in advertising by manufacturers of sythetic insulation. There's no reason to sleep in the rain! Either set up your tent or tarp, or rig up your tarp or fly across the open side of the shelter.

Dirtyoldman
03-09-2003, 11:56
For hammock use quilts work well but they are better sheilded from the breeze. For most other usage a top-bag is likely the better choice as getting in isnt as much of an issue. Many down bags allow the fill to be shaken to the top where it is needed but I havent had the pleasure of trying it myself.

Down does still beat out synthetic but the gap is not nearly as big as it use to be.... one day they are going to invent a synthetic goose :D

Youngblood
03-09-2003, 20:39
I have 800 down filled bags with DWR finishes and have no problems with condensation or water splashes. Down is my preferred insulation...it is just better- lighter weight, less bulk and more comfortable. I haven't had any problems with down getting wet with DWR treated fabric and stuff sacks lined with plastic trash bags. Many times the fabric has gotten wet (usually from condensation on tarps or tents at the foot end and sometimes from spilled water) but I don't think it has ever penetrated the DWR fabric and caused any noticable loss in loft.

Also, I also think that a sleeping bag is warmer than a blanket with a foot pocket because you can zip it up a do a much better job of eliminating convection heat loss as you move around. In my hammock, I usually start out using my sleeping bag as a blanket with a foot pocket and if it starts getting cold I get all the way in the bag and zip it up to stay warmer -- makes a big difference in my opinion.

Youngblood

RagingHampster
11-01-2003, 13:29
Hey guys, I figured I'd update everyone interested in the quilt method.

To recap it is a 1.1oz ripstop nylon baffled blanket filled with feathered friends 800fill down.

I used it a couple times this summer/fall and it functioned quite well. Here are the gripes & grapes...

1. Unless you have a full length pad, using a the quilt theory and a 3/4 length pad means your clothing is your only buffer between your legs and tent/shelter floor. Either make sure you have pants or upgrade to a full pad.

2. Using it in my Arapaho Solo, I don't have any problems with it getting wet anymore. But use a DWR material if you plan to open camp in lean-tos.

3. If it's actually cold and your really relying on it for warmth, you have to lay motionless while you sleep. This usually isn't a problem as your legs lying on the ground from your 3/4 length pad are frozen to the topsoil.

4. Drys incredibly fast (The material that is...)

5. It is so lite that if you don't have it secured down, and it's at all windy, it flaps in the breeze like a giant flag.

6. Took so long to make... :rolleyes:

Having tried out a bunch of bags, I'd say this is a great item for summer camping. It's a hassle in the spring/fall, and down-right dangerous in the winter.

I'm still using my TNF Flight w/Polarguard Delta insulation. I can't express how great of a bag this is. I think some of you should give this new type of synthetic a try. It's nothing like the Polarguard 3D. It even settles down on you similar to down.

Anyhoo... I've abandoned the blanket idea :o

RagingHampster
12-20-2003, 17:54
Figured I'd consolidate all the threads that have gone into making this one.
Here are the other links from the homemade gear section...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1029&page=1&pp=20
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1525

I still have the down blanket, and keep it in my van for various back-up uses.

Doctari
12-21-2003, 21:00
During my time this year at the Ohio Ren fest, (we camp every weekend, in a tent) I decided to use my sleeping bag as a quilt, I stayed warm even to 30F (it's an old 30f bag) just like when using the sleeping bag as designed, BUT; I used the entire bag, anything less & I had the same Draft problem. My opinion: I'll stick with my sleeping bag. My old (about 9 years) 30f bag has kept me warm & toasty down to 17f. I want a lighter bag, but after my test, I think I'll stay with a bag.

The quilt sure sounds like a great idea, but I'm not sold.

Doctari.