PDA

View Full Version : Road Walking

ZEKE #2
05-30-2006, 09:21
I've been doing some practice trips on the Ice Age Trail in Wisconsin. I find that my daily mileage really decreases when I have to do 3 or more miles of road walking. I'm interested in knowing, 1) what percentage, or if you know how many road miles does the AT contain. I know that I may have to do road miles to get to a postoffice or town, so don't count those; and 2) is there a method to making road miles easier? i.e. changing shoes? insoles? or do you just endure them.

The Solemates
05-30-2006, 09:29
I've been doing some practice trips on the Ice Age Trail in Wisconsin. I find that my daily mileage really decreases when I have to do 3 or more miles of road walking. I'm interested in knowing, 1) what percentage, or if you know how many road miles does the AT contain. I know that I may have to do road miles to get to a postoffice or town, so don't count those; and 2) is there a method to making road miles easier? i.e. changing shoes? insoles? or do you just endure them.

I dont know exactly how many miles of road walking there are on the AT, but I would venture to say that it is less than 1% of trail miles. in order to endure walking on the hard surface of a road, walk on the shoulder in the grass instead. i do this when I go for a run. its softer on the joints...you just gotta watch more closely for holes, etc. that may cause you to turn an ankle.

Lilred
05-30-2006, 10:26

How is that trail Zeke? The length? The terrain? Any info you can give would be appreciated. It's the next trail I'd like to try after I finish the AT.

I change out of my boots if I have to road walk. Crocs make the walk much more comfy.

fiddlehead
05-31-2006, 03:00
The CDT is probably about 20% roadwalking. I used trail running shoes and never had a problem with my feet or any decrease in mileage.
The AT has practically no road walking left so i don't think you'll have a problem worrying about this.

Programbo
06-04-2006, 21:22
There used to be a really long section of roads across the valley in southern PA..But I`m going back a looooooong ways..Has this been re-routed?

saimyoji
06-06-2006, 10:53
Longest road walk for me was the bridge at DWG. Man, those trucks was flyin', the bridge was shaking, I thought I was gonna get thrown right down into the river. Not sure but I think someone even threw a can at me.

cakeman21k
06-06-2006, 11:00
Actually Bear Mountain Is longer. Around the lake on the blacktop paved path, through the zoo with the blacktop paved walkways, over the Bear Mountain Bridge and another quarter mile up to the trail up Anthonys Nose, proabably 1.5 to 2 miles.

chemist
06-06-2006, 11:45
Yeah, the road walk through the Cumberland Valley has since been relocated, Programbo.

c.coyle
06-06-2006, 16:42
There used to be a really long section of roads across the valley in southern PA..But I`m going back a looooooong ways..Has this been re-routed?

Yes. A couple of maybe 1/8 mile road walks and a few bridges over I-81 and the Pa. Turnpike, all in the Cumberland Valley, are all that I can think of off hand.

Saimyoji: I consider the I-80 bridge @ DWG to be 100% New Jersey. ;)

max patch
06-06-2006, 20:14

The "dreaded yet fondly remembered Cumberland roadwalk" to quote the PG. A 20 mile or so roadwalk in the heat of summer. Sounds terrible but was actually one of most memorable sections of the AT.

Lone Wolf
06-06-2006, 20:29
I LOVE road walking. I've done more of it in the past 20 years than anyone.

Programbo
06-08-2006, 22:13
The "dreaded yet fondly remembered Cumberland roadwalk" to quote the PG. A 20 mile or so roadwalk in the heat of summer. Sounds terrible but was actually one of most memorable sections of the AT.

Yes..I thought I had remembered it being about 20 miles but was afraid to say that figure since it sounds sort of like and insane figure....I will admit to hiking it legitimately once and then hitching all following trips