PDA

View Full Version : M & M Trail

Rustle
05-30-2006, 11:53
Has anyone spent any time on the Metacomet-Monadnock Trail in MA/NH?? Thinking about a short trip, but do not know a lot about it and internet only provides scant information--I guess a lot of the trail is on private land, which makes me wonder if there are designated campsites/shelters?

Thanks
R

neighbor dave
05-30-2006, 12:22
:-? this link pretty much covers it. http://amcberkshire.org/trails/mmtrail/guide

what else you wanna know???:confused:

neighbor dave
05-31-2006, 14:01
:-? p.s. heard dat river crossin on the westfield is a toughy!!!:jump

Rustle
06-01-2006, 16:17
Thanks Dave for your posts . . .

I had checked out the AMC site, but was wondering if anyone had hiked this trail who might have some more info--I have heard there are few shelters/campsites, and was just looking for some "been there, done that" suggestions . . .have you hiked the M and M?

neighbor dave
06-01-2006, 17:06
Thanks Dave for your posts . . .

I had checked out the AMC site, but was wondering if anyone had hiked this trail who might have some more info--I have heard there are few shelters/campsites, and was just looking for some "been there, done that" suggestions . . .have you hiked the M and M?

:-? yes.:D

Palmer
06-01-2006, 17:12
I hiked parts of the M & M back in the 70s. Back then it ended in Connecticut (Hamden?). I don't remember many shelters, but I don't remember much of anything from the 70s. There were lots of places to camp, but I'm sure there has been a lot of development in the intervening 30 years. Hmm . . . this may not be the most helpful post I've ever written.

Tramper Al
06-01-2006, 20:31
Hey Rustle,

I don't have too much of substance to add, having been there (day hiked the whole trail last year) but not done that (spent a night out on the trail).

I remember seeing two shelters, and a quick scan of guidebook maps gives a similar count. We did meet a pair of thru-hikers one day, headed for one of these shelters. I do not recall other designated campsites off hand. There may be several places where camping is permitted, but I do not believe they are really evident from the guide.