PDA

View Full Version : Working for $$$ along the trail

Amigi'sLastStand
05-30-2006, 23:15
:o Anyone know of the chance to work here and there to make some money while I hike. Hostels that pay for work, stables that need to be shovelled? I dont care what it is. I just paid the last of my med bills and dont have near as much left for my hike as I had figured. ( The gas doc wasnt on the prebill I received. There goes another $380 down the black hole:mad: ) Thanks.
Chuck

fiddlehead
05-31-2006, 02:46
I remember a guy that lives right on the trail at a road crossing in VT that used to hire thru-hikers to help him. He was a steeple chaser and had room in his barn that he'd let hikers stay in. Don't know if he's still there.
2 years ago, my buddy who lived in NH and I built an addition on his house. We went out to the trial and put up a sign saying: AYCE plus money! for part time work. We got 4 different hikers and 3 of them were great. It really saved our backs to have young, strong hikers doing the heavy work while we concentrated on the finer points. They sure ate good. It was fun for all.
I'm sure you can find work if you try. Why not?

kyhipo
05-31-2006, 08:35
If you want to work their are jobs anywhere!harpers ferry is usually a good spot and in new england.ky

Footslogger
05-31-2006, 08:37
Depends on your skills and what you are willing to do. In 2003 I knew of 2 hikers that started to run low on cash around Deleware Water Gap. They had carpentry skills and asked around for work opportunities. Both of them worked for 2 - 3 weeks in that area and then hiked on.

'Slogger

longshank
05-31-2006, 11:02
I met a guy named Pan while hiking the AT through NY state who found work flipping burgers in Penn.

Nightwalker
05-31-2006, 18:07
:o Anyone know of the chance to work here and there to make some money while I hike?
I have a friend that hikes pretty regularly who works for outfitters as he passes through, all up and down the trail.

At worst, you can probably wash some dishes here and there.

the goat
05-31-2006, 18:17
one of the great things a/b going sobo is you have the flexibility to delay your start date and earn extra $$$ before you leave. that's why i've ended up heading sobo in the past, that and an emptier trail.

i mean, the way i see it is: you have guaranteed work at home (assuming you're gainfully employed); so why not delay your start a bit for guaranteed work & $$$, rather than delay yourself throughout the trip with no guarantee of work or $$$. either way your trip will be delayed a bit, either on the front end or interspersed thoughout. but only one will give you the guaranteed dough. just my $0.02, good luck with whatever you decide!

Amigi'sLastStand
05-31-2006, 18:54
Clarification needed. I have no job. I was medically terminated 18 months ago. Skill set is pretty vast. I have a degree in phychology ( useless ) and a degree in kitchen/bath design. I can do most construction trades fairly well, but I paint and hang cabinets the best ( the painting psychologist ! ). I've been known to be a pretty good cook, though no degree or anything. Like I said, I'll dig a ditch if I have I to, I dont care.

Please, keep the ideas coming.

Chuck

Dances with Mice
05-31-2006, 19:38
I have a degree in phychology ( useless ) and a degree in kitchen/bath design. There are degrees in kitchen/bath design?? Cool! Your people need to meet with passenger airplane designers, you guys could do some good work there.

Once I was skiing in the Redneck Alps (Gatlinburg) and got to talking with one of the lift attendants. He was a SOBO thru-hiker who'd worked his way down the trail doing odd jobs and made it as far as G-burg when winter hit then he got a job with the ski center. Hiker bum to ski bum, I guess. When the season was over he was going to continue his hike. So it can be done, but if you can't spend money then you need to expand the amount of time you'll spend on your hike.

Mountain Maiden
05-31-2006, 20:09
Clarification needed. I have no job. I was medically terminated 18 months ago. Skill set is pretty vast. I have a degree in phychology ( useless ) and a degree in kitchen/bath design. I can do most construction trades fairly well, but I paint and hang cabinets the best ( the painting psychologist ! ). I've been known to be a pretty good cook, though no degree or anything. Like I said, I'll dig a ditch if I have I to, I dont care.

Please, keep the ideas coming.

Chuck
Amigi/Chuck--If I were in your boots--I'd hit the Trail and head south, too! Hey--it will be a great adventure, you'll enjoy some beautiful days on the Trail and you'll meet some awesome people!

During a serendipitous opportunity to work in Hot Springs during my thru-hike, I met some incredible folks that I am still friends with to this day. Even though money was not the factor, thereafter, I looked for opportunities to work just because I knew it might bring a bonus to my hike! The money was a good thing, too!

If you are hard-working and willing to do "whatever," you'll have no probs finding work. Start with asking Hostel Owners. They may need help themselves and/or they usually know locals that may need someone to work. Being flexible and adaptable helps, too! It'll work all out!

Not to be morbid but, sentiment aside, you can work a bit longer--maybe die at some desk somewhere OR you can hit the Trail and live everyday enjoying the Trail! OK--so you could die on the Trail, too. I can't think of a better place to be! Get your affairs in order and GO FOR IT!

Best of Luck to you!!

PS--Get out of Lake Mary asap! (LOL--I lived in Altamonte Spgs for 20 years!)

Amigi'sLastStand
05-31-2006, 21:06
Thanks MM.

fiddlehead
05-31-2006, 21:25
I must be missing something here. You say you have no job, yet need money and are willing to do almost anything. So, why do you have no job?
I've found that if one wants to work in America, it is easy to find work. The problem usually is that people don't want to do anything except the ideal job. (whatever that is?)
I've worked (or made money) doing so many different things including yard sale shopping on saturday and flea marketing all out on Sunday in SF, Seattle, Flagstaff AZ, while on a road trip and getting low on money. I never felt like i had to take a lot of money with me on a trip, just be willing to do (almost) anything.
I have lots of other examples too, but don't need to bore you with them. just use your imagination. (hell your physcology degree can come into big use here)

Wonder
05-31-2006, 22:14
I've been working my way up the trail the whole time. The only draw back is leaving your friends along the way. Most places will want you to commit at least a week. I've found various things such as serving in Damascus, Odd Jobs(landscaping and such) in Hot Springs and trout Farming in Haiwassee( which is what I'm back doing along the way) The best way is to save up cash before you leave.....but it IS possable to get up the trail this way. Just have back-up......sometimes you can't find work. To help secure work.....just call ahead to different places in your next town....it works!

Amigi'sLastStand
06-01-2006, 02:59
I must be missing something here. You say you have no job, yet need money and are willing to do almost anything. So, why do you have no job?
I've found that if one wants to work in America, it is easy to find work. The problem usually is that people don't want to do anything except the ideal job. (whatever that is?)
I've worked (or made money) doing so many different things including yard sale shopping on saturday and flea marketing all out on Sunday in SF, Seattle, Flagstaff AZ, while on a road trip and getting low on money. I never felt like i had to take a lot of money with me on a trip, just be willing to do (almost) anything.
I have lots of other examples too, but don't need to bore you with them. just use your imagination. (hell your physcology degree can come into big use here)
You are missing something. It aint for you to analyze why I posted the question. I never explained the whole story because this is a public forum. Quite a few folks do know why. If you analyzed a little further and used a little deductive logic "the medically terminated" part mighta been of use. I can still work, just not at what I love, or what I've been doing for the past four years, or what I did for nine years before that. Dont mean to squash down so hard, but your statement came across quite judgemental.

hammock engineer
06-01-2006, 10:43
one of the great things a/b going sobo is you have the flexibility to delay your start date and earn extra $$$ before you leave. that's why i've ended up heading sobo in the past, that and an emptier trail.

i mean, the way i see it is: you have guaranteed work at home (assuming you're gainfully employed); so why not delay your start a bit for guaranteed work & $$$, rather than delay yourself throughout the trip with no guarantee of work or $$$. either way your trip will be delayed a bit, either on the front end or interspersed thoughout. but only one will give you the guaranteed dough. just my $0.02, good luck with whatever you decide!

This is what I am doing, that and finishing school. I will not start until mid july, but I should have enough money to finish.

There is a really good article on the site if you haven't found it about doing a thru hike for $1000. Going sobo I would add a little to that. I am excepting some days in the south come November and December that I am going to have to get a hotel to wait out some weather.

I haven't hiked yet, but as for jobs look into resturants along the way. I have a serving job that pays pretty well. Most resturants have a high turnover, so being a buser or dishwasher should not be a problem.

Amigi'sLastStand
06-03-2006, 17:47
Visibility.

StarLyte
06-03-2006, 18:15
You are very brave to work your way to earn money while you're hiking. I commend you. Much luck to all of you that are able to do this. I bet the adventure in that is a lot of fun. Hike on.
StarLyte

Amigi'sLastStand
06-03-2006, 19:15
You are very brave to work your way to earn money while you're hiking. I commend you. Much luck to all of you that are able to do this. I bet the adventure in that is a lot of fun. Hike on.
StarLyte
Thank you. Got any work?:rolleyes:

mweinstone
06-03-2006, 23:03
ron the owner of the budget inn offered me a maintenance position with board.

Amigi'sLastStand
06-03-2006, 23:09
ron the owner of the budget inn offered me a maintenance position with board.
Little more info, if you're not taking it.
Thanks
Chuck

Lone Wolf
06-04-2006, 13:26
Most hikers who try to work thier way down the trail don't make it. Matter of fact most who hit the trail with little cash aren't very serious about a thru-hike. Anything they earn is usually spent on alcohol, dope and cigarettes. One should have all thier gear and plenty of $$ saved up before attempting a thru-hike.

Wonder
06-04-2006, 13:47
Your best best is to look as you hike.....that way you are not strapped to one place. Just check out the companion and make phone calls one town prior.

Wonder
06-04-2006, 13:49
In response to L.Wolf...... I agree. I'm secton hiking this year in prep for a future Thru. I wouldn't be working this year is I was trying to make maine. You have to be very flexable to do the "nomad" thing

Amigi'sLastStand
06-04-2006, 15:06
Most hikers who try to work thier way down the trail don't make it. Matter of fact most who hit the trail with little cash aren't very serious about a thru-hike. Anything they earn is usually spent on alcohol, dope and cigarettes. One should have all thier gear and plenty of $$ saved up before attempting a thru-hike.

I understand your point. I've put thousands of miles under my boots before this attempt. None of those trails had blazes, except where to drop off the coca leaf. I've "hiked" just about all of Colombia.
I actually had quite a bit of money for this therapeutic wander in the woods, but after 135000 in med bills out of my pocket, it seems the doctors think I have a limitless supply and keep sending me more bills. I am very serious about this. So, to an ol' hand like you L Wolf, any advice is good advice. You got any ideas for work? Seriously.
Chuck

Wonder
06-04-2006, 15:26
Amigi......I'm with you...I had to make a choice. Pay of the sugery bills, or through hike. I'd paid them off(FINALLY) and came out here anyway. Just being out here is wonderful in itself. If you can't thru this year....come out and be a part of it anyway. Some is better then none! It has really changed my life for the better!

wilderness bob
06-04-2006, 16:46
A, In New England (Mass I believe) some of the Hikers were working for food and lodging at Organic Farms that were near the trail. Sorry I can not recall the exact place or location however, perhaps a little Google search will provide a webb site. Good luck. WB

TOW
06-04-2006, 17:07
:o Anyone know of the chance to work here and there to make some money while I hike. Hostels that pay for work, stables that need to be shovelled? I dont care what it is. I just paid the last of my med bills and dont have near as much left for my hike as I had figured. ( The gas doc wasnt on the prebill I received. There goes another $380 down the black hole:mad: ) Thanks.
Chucki lived on the trail from 2000-2003 and i mean i literally lived out there.....when i started running low on money i would stop at a town along the trail and would hit every shop or business in every nook and cranny until i came across anyone who needed a hand doing anything from shoveling out a barn to cheffing at a ski resort (boy i really pulled one off there) for any type of pay............most jobs i did well with but when i came up against something that i knew i would not be of any service with i didn't even volunteer to see if i could do the job because you don't want to tackle something that could get you into more trouble than it's worth.........for instance one time i had a guy who wanted me to spray paint the side of his house for a thousand dollars and since i had only had a ten in my pocket i jumped to it...........he had the tools and everything i needed to get the job done and even handed me two hundred in good faith.......i figured i could get the job done in less than six hours, i did in eight.........well you know what i did not even stop to consider? the wind........it was very windy that day and as i sprayed that house and dreaming of a motel room for the night and nice bed and shower that wind was taking some of that paint right around the corner and politely laying a speckled blue coat of paint on a brand new pickup.......after i finished cleaning everything up and gopt paid this guy comes around the corner a yelling at me and the law shows up.....in the end i walked away with one hundred dollars and had to come back the next day to touch up on spots that i missed............that day i gave the hikers of the trail a bad name..........the main thing is that you have to be assertive and don't depend on what others think you should do and be confident that whatever tasks that you are given to do that you can do it............

Amigi'sLastStand
06-04-2006, 17:24
Amigi......I'm with you...I had to make a choice. Pay of the sugery bills, or through hike. I'd paid them off(FINALLY) and came out here anyway. Just being out here is wonderful in itself. If you can't thru this year....come out and be a part of it anyway. Some is better then none! It has really changed my life for the better!

Thanks. I'm hiking this year, in fact, next tues or wed I leave sobo from nj on a f/f. Springer this year, and Kat when I can get there, hopefully next year. Yep, no money left, an empty 401k, and about another 30k in bills yet to come. And ya know, after all that, I am no better than when it all started. So time for my cure, a nice long hike.