PDA

View Full Version : Southern Maine - July

Footslogger
05-31-2006, 11:27
Hiking between Gorham and Rangeley the first 2 weeks of July and planning my clothing/sleeping bag. Only previous experience in that area was on my thru in September 2003 and it was cold and snowy already.

Been watching the temps lately and they seem to be pretty nice even now. Would like to hear from someone who lives up in that area regarding the typical day/night temps at higher elevations.

Thanks in advance ...

'Slogger

attroll
05-31-2006, 11:34
Hiking between Gorham and Rangeley the first 2 weeks of July and planning my clothing/sleeping bag. Only previous experience in that area was on my thru in September 2003 and it was cold and snowy already.

Been watching the temps lately and they seem to be pretty nice even now. Would like to hear from someone who lives up in that area regarding the typical day/night temps at higher elevations.

Thanks in advance ...

'Slogger
You will not have to worry about a cold or snowy July hike in Maine. You will probably be wishing it was cold. Remember to bring you bug dope and maybe a head net. I hope to run into you and Bad Ass Turtle but if I do not happy hiking. Keep in touch.

Footslogger
05-31-2006, 11:52
You will not have to worry about a cold or snowy July hike in Maine. You will probably be wishing it was cold. Remember to bring you bug dope and maybe a head net. I hope to run into you and Bad Ass Turtle but if I do not happy hiking. Keep in touch.
============================
Thanks ...and likewise about our paths crossing. Pretty sure we're going to hike it southbound. Just makes more sense logistically for us to end up in Gorham. Will bus in and stay in Gorham (the Barn) on 7/1 and then get shuttled up to Rangeley on 7/2 and begin our hike. We're using the "Cabin" near Andover as our stopover/re-supply location and then from there going straight into Gorham. Time permitting, we may hike down to Pinkham Notch and catch the bus back to Boston from there.

Thanks again for the weather and bug report. I do already have some DEET a couple headnets on the gear list.

'Slogger

stickat04
05-31-2006, 14:31
Hey footslogger see you out there, I am leaving Katadin on June 19th.

TJ aka Teej
05-31-2006, 14:39
Nice time to hike in Maine, 'Slogger! Warmest weather of the year, not t-storm season yet, water crossings gatting low, blackflies all but gone. Skeeters and ticks the only real concern, so bring the DEET.
wishing you clear skies,

Footslogger
05-31-2006, 14:43
Hey footslogger see you out there, I am leaving Katadin on June 19th.
====================================
Will keep an eye out for you Stick. Your Katahdin departure should definitely put you in that area.

'Slogger

Footslogger
05-31-2006, 14:44
Anyone know for certain if the Barn in Gorham is open and if they will accept/hold packages for hikers ?? Have called the number listed in the guidebooks but no answer.

Question #2 ...if the Barn won't work does anyone know of another alternative in Gorham. Stayed at the Hikers Paradise (emphasis on the word PARADISE) in 2003 but they don't accept packages.

Thanks in advance ...

'Slogger
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

The Solemates
05-31-2006, 15:01
Anyone know for certain if the Barn in Gorham is open and if they will accept/hold packages for hikers ?? Have called the number listed in the guidebooks but no answer.

Question #2 ...if the Barn won't work does anyone know of another alternative in Gorham. Stayed at the Hikers Paradise (emphasis on the word PARADISE) in 2003 but they don't accept packages.

Thanks in advance ...

'Slogger
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

July in SO ME will be nice. We were there at that time on our thru. Expect temps in the mid 60s to mid 70s during the day and dropping down to 40s for night, on average. The bugs were not as bad as everyone says they are. The Barn was open this past fall when we were in Gorham. I assume they still are, but dont know for sure.

Footslogger
05-31-2006, 15:17
[quote=The Solemates]July in SO ME will be nice.
=======================================
That's my sincere hope. Otherwise I'd be tempted to let my wife knock out these miles on her own ...just kidding !! Seriously though, I do look forward to seeing some better scenery and weather than I did when I passed through that area in September 2003. Really don't want to do that whole cold/wet thing any more.

'Slogger