PDA

View Full Version : best way to get to bsp from bangor bus station

baerbelleksa
05-31-2006, 12:25
i've got a bus ticket that's got me arriving at the bangor bus station on a wednesday at around 6 p.m. any tips on the best/cheapest way to get to bsp from there? and should i make a reservation at ksc for that same night, or will it be too late by the time i'd get there?

Tramper Al
05-31-2006, 13:32
Hi Baer,

The usual public transportation method up to the Millinocket area is by bus as well. It looks like
Cyr's (http://www.cyrbustours.com/CyrBusLines-Schedule.htm) daily bus may work nicely with your 6pm arrival in Bangor. It looks like it leaves the Greyhound station at 6:00p and the Concord station at 6:30p. This would get you in to Medway (your closest point) at 7:40p.

From Medway, the only "public transit" is really Minuteman Taxi (207-723-2000). While they could take you right into the park, you have to allow about an hour to the Togue Pond Gate and I believe the cut-off time for entering with a campground reservation is 8:30p, so that would be cutting it too close I think. By 'ksc', I am assuming you mean Baxter State Park, no? You could also hitch in from Medway to the park, but you would not have much luck at that hour, I would think.

What I might recommend instead of trying to get all the way into the park that night depends in part on your hiking plans. There are a couple of campgrounds at Abol Bridge (on the Golden Road and the AT - just outside the park) that might work very well for you. See your trail guide for details. You could probably arrive there by Minuteman in time to camp, even if a bit after dark. From there in a long day you could climb Katahdin (with just a day pack), returning via the AT to your campsite. Then head south on the trail in the morning.

Tramper Al
05-31-2006, 13:36
Hi Baer,

The usual public transportation method up to the Millinocket area is by bus as well. It looks like
Cyr's (http://www.cyrbustours.com/CyrBusLines-Schedule.htm) daily bus may work nicely with your 6pm arrival in Bangor. It looks like it leaves the Greyhound station at 6:00p and the Concord station at 6:30p. This would get you in to Medway (your closest point) at 7:40p.

From Medway, the only "public transit" is really Minuteman Taxi (207-723-2000). While they could take you right into the park, you have to allow about an hour to the Togue Pond Gate and I believe the cut-off time for entering with a campground reservation is 8:30p, so that would be cutting it too close I think. You could also hitch in from Medway to the park, but you would not have much luck at that hour, I would think.

What I might recommend instead of trying to get all the way into Katahdin Stream CG that night depends in part on your hiking plans. There are a couple of campgrounds at Abol Bridge (on the Golden Road and the AT - just outside the park) that might work very well for you. See your trail guide for details. You could probably arrive there by Minuteman in time to camp, even if a bit after dark. From there in a long day you could climb Katahdin (with just a day pack), returning via the AT to your campsite. Then head south on the trail in the morning.

Or, if you really want to stay at Katahdin Stream, maybe book that for your second night in Maine, hiking Abol Bridge (campground) to summit to Katahdin Stream the first day, then Katahdin Stream southbound the next morning.

Tramper Al
05-31-2006, 13:38
Having a little trouble editing.

neighbor dave
05-31-2006, 14:00
:-? i missed it the first time, could you repeat that just one more time???:jump :jump

TJ aka Teej
05-31-2006, 14:47
Minuteman will also drop you off just outside the Park gate at a spot where you can legally stealth camp. There are motels within walking distance of the store in Medway where the bus stop is. Tramper Al is right about hitching at that hour, very few cars heading towards the Park that late. But in the AM it's an easy hitch. If you do start at Abol Bridge an alternative hike into the Park is the Blueberry Ledges trail, about 4.5 miles from the kiosk at the AT junction.

baerbelleksa
05-31-2006, 16:47
thanks for the tips. happy trails!

Moxie00
06-01-2006, 20:47
I like to stay at the Applachian Trail Lodge in Millinocket. I bet you can get a ride there from Medway just by going into the Irving Station where Cyr bus line has their ticket office. They have a diner so just letting the cashier know you are a hiker and need a ride to Millinocket should work. I always stop at the Irving just to see if any hikers need a ride. The Applachian Trail Lodge will give you a clean bed, a shower and will arrange a shuttle to the trail after breakfast the next morning. The whole area is very hiker friendly so do not be afraid to ask for a ride or any other help.

Nokia
06-02-2006, 12:20
I like to stay at the Applachian Trail Lodge in Millinocket. I bet you can get a ride there from Medway just by going into the Irving Station where Cyr bus line has their ticket office.

Last year we flip-flopped and took the bus from Harpers. Once in Medway we just hitched over to Millinocket. From there it was a pretty easy hitch into the park.

Anyone know if Don at the AT Lodge will allow dogs? I just aquired a new puppy. thanks