PDA

View Full Version : What's going on in your head...

longshank
05-31-2006, 12:47
...when you're hiking? I tend to sing a song in my head, usually the same song for a couple of days, then it changes. On my last hike it was the Imperial death march theme from star wars,then it changed to "on the road again" by willie nelson...then back to the march again.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-31-2006, 12:56
First day: "man, I'm out of shape"
First morning after hiking: "everything including my eyelashes and toenails hurts".
Second day: "have I lost my mind - what am I doing out here"
Third day: "can we stay out here forever?"
After returning home: "when can we get back out there?"

Footslogger
05-31-2006, 13:06
Most often it's a tune.

'Slogger

shoe
05-31-2006, 13:23
and...

let me make it to that next tree, rock, bend, etc then I will stop to catch my breath.

fivefour
05-31-2006, 13:58
everything ... and nothing ... then something ... then nothing again. endless daydreams and plans and ideas and silly thoughts and serious thoughts and and and ... all of this is usually set to some random tune that pops into my head. this past weekend was mostly kenny rogers "the gambler". now where the eff did that come from ?

Hana_Hanger
05-31-2006, 14:01
Usually NOTHING :D....except that passing thought of
"what am I out here all by myself for?"

but I am off for a 5 day hike and I'll think about your options listed above and vote when I return...option 5 looks very promising!

Vi+
05-31-2006, 15:35
You ask, “What goes on up there when you hike...?”

I rethink things I’ve said, read, or done. Think about animals, ecology, economics, history, philosophy, political science, politics, psychology, religion, science, sociology, the human condition (in alphabetical order), and other things. I consider improvements in my technique and equipment, and some of the concerns raised on White Blaze. When hiking becomes demanding, I concentrate on the rhythms of my breathing and pace.

So, “the one-ness of everything” gets my vote.

Footslogger
05-31-2006, 15:47
I want to change my vote. Earlier I posted that it generally a "tune" that fills my head while I am hiking. But after a bit of reflection on my 2003 thru I realized that what was going on in my head was "remembering". Don't know about the rest of yous guys and gals but life leading up to my thru was pretty hectic. When I actually hit stride on the AT and realized that life's priorities consisted of food, water and a place to sleep at night (or in the afternoon if I so chose) my mind started to unravel and unwind. I saw faces of people I'd met over the years and recalled countless events in my life that I had not though of or about for decades.

Yeah ...I ocassionally heard a tune in my head during my hike but a big chunk of time was spent "remembering".

'Slogger

D'Artagnan
05-31-2006, 16:13
With the exception of "Geez, I wish these gnats would just leave me alone!", I guess I think most about my place in the world and whether what occurs is due to free will or predestination. I also wonder who will miss me when I'm gone -- as in "Elvis has left the building" gone. I'm not sure why my thoughts turn so maudlin at times, but I guess it has something to do with hiking solo and being in the vastness of the great outdoors. Whatever my thoughts, I always feel renewed when the hike is over and eager to head back out.

On a side note, music is always a part of my internal dialogue. It's as if my mind has its own soundtrack playing in the background. Sometimes the volume increases and the music comes to the forefront, but it's always there.

Blissful
05-31-2006, 19:24
First day: "man, I'm out of shape"
First morning after hiking: "everything including my eyelashes and toenails hurts".
Second day: "have I lost my mind - what am I doing out here"
Third day: "can we stay out here forever?"
After returning home: "when can we get back out there?"

Wow, that's good! About sizes up my trail thoughts.

FYI - You sat behind me at the ALDH (not sure if I got that right!) gathering at Trail Days when they were announcing the years everyone hiked. Wish I could have met you. (!)
I was one of the ones who cheered when they asked for the dreamers or future thru-hikers to stand. :)

Lilred
05-31-2006, 19:43
I voted for music and the oneness of everything, but more often than not I think of God and find myself saying prayers of thanks to Him. Thanks for the health to be out there, the job that affords me summers to be out there. A husband that supports and encourages my dream of thru hiking, and a child still at home that is trustworthy enough to leave by himself. From there it extends to the friends and family and the views and on and on and on. I pray A LOT! LOL. My section hikes usually end up being a spiritual pilgrimage for me.

adh24
06-01-2006, 08:47
Usually the first 20 minutes I question what am doing out here. I guess it's because I've started every hike in a gap where I had to do a vertical mile. Then I usually get into a nice rhythm and would have to go with the oneness

Lone Wolf
06-01-2006, 09:04
Sex, food and beer. In that order. What the hell else is there to think about?

MOWGLI
06-01-2006, 09:07
What the hell else is there to think about?

For some? Warren Doyle. ;)

Tin Man
06-01-2006, 22:52
Sex, food and beer. In that order. What the hell else is there to think about?

I think about where can I run into town to find sex, food and beer. :D

Michele
06-02-2006, 23:41
Oprah Winfrey is interviewing me....I have to come up w/an answer to the question, "So..what do you want to do with your life?" That keeps my mind occupied for days and weeks!