PDA

View Full Version : The Barn in Gorham

Footslogger
05-31-2006, 14:18
Anyone know for certain if the Barn in Gorham is open and if they will accept/hold packages for hikers ?? Have called the number listed in the guidebooks but no answer.

Question #2 ...if the Barn won't work does anyone know of another alternative in Gorham. Stayed at the Hikers Paradise (emphasis on the word PARADISE) in 2003 but they don't accept packages.

Thanks in advance ...

'Slogger

Mr. Clean
06-01-2006, 15:37
...wish I'd know and I coulda checked for you.

JojoSmiley
06-02-2006, 10:58
Why don't you use the PO? They used to let hikers knock on the back door on Saturdays as they have to have someone there until 5pm.

Footslogger
06-02-2006, 11:01
Why don't you use the PO? They used to let hikers knock on the back door on Saturdays as they have to have someone there until 5pm.
============================
Thought about that Jojo but in this case I don't think it'll work. Problem is that we're flying into Boston and bussing to Gorham on a Saturday night. Being picked up on Sunday morning and shuttled up to Rangeley. Wherever we send our package we'd need access to it late Saturday night or early Sunday.

Thanks for the suggestion though. Any other day of the week and we'd seriously consider it.

'Slogger

Roland
06-02-2006, 11:56
~~~ Problem is that we're flying into Boston and bussing to Gorham on a Saturday night. Being picked up on Sunday morning and shuttled up to Rangeley. Wherever we send our package we'd need access to it late Saturday night or early Sunday.

Thanks for the suggestion though. Any other day of the week and we'd seriously consider it.

'Slogger
'Slogger,

If Arthur is shuttling you to Rangeley, send your package to his house. You won't have to chase after it Sat night or Sun morning. If you can't arrange that, send it to me.

I'm not sure of the status of the Barn. A few weeks ago, I noticed the B&B sign had been removed. The small, roadside AT Barn sign is still in place. I've phoned a handful of times, but no one ever answers. I'll ask around town to see what's going on.

Footslogger
06-02-2006, 12:33
'Slogger,

If Arthur is shuttling you to Rangeley, send your package to his house. You won't have to chase after it Sat night or Sun morning. If you can't arrange that, send it to me.

I'm not sure of the status of the Barn. A few weeks ago, I noticed the B&B sign had been removed. The small, roadside AT Barn sign is still in place. I've phoned a handful of times, but no one ever answers. I'll ask around town to see what's going on.
===========================
Thanks Roland. Actually ...although final arrangements have not been cast in stone, we are planning on using shuttle services provided by the folks out of the "Cabin" near Andover, as they are also our re-supply point during the hike. If all else fails we will send our initial as well as our re-supply box to them and they can hand it over on the morning we ride up to Rangeley.

We would like to persue the Barn a bit more though since we still need a place to stay on Saturday night in Gorham. If the whole mail drop thing is not an issue and the Barn is a bust we'll probably grab a room at Hikers Paradise for the night.

Thanks again ...

'Slogger

Nean
06-02-2006, 12:44
== grab a room at Hikers Paradise for the night.

I always enjoyed staying and eating at the HP and visiting and hanging out with Paul and Barry at the Barn. Either way you can't go wrong. Good luck -and let us know whats up with the Barn.

Footslogger
06-02-2006, 12:49
...and let us know whats up with the Barn.

==============================

Will Do ...

'Slogger

Roland
06-02-2006, 12:57
'Slogger,

The bus reaches Gorham about 9:30 PM. It stops at the Irving gas station, next door to Hikers Paradise. The Barn is more than a mile, back into town. Just something else to consider when deciding where you'll spend the night.

RE the Barn: I talked to the folks at the local outfitter. Their observations were identical to mine; the place is deserted for weeks at a time. Apparently the good doctor does not stay put for very long. Expectations are that the Barn will be open this summer; no one has heard otherwise.

I was also told that the first NOBO recently came through Gorham. No SOBOs have been spotted yet.

attroll
06-02-2006, 13:21
The Barn Hostel, 603-466-2271, [email protected]

Footslogger
06-02-2006, 13:45
[quote=Roland]'Slogger,

The bus reaches Gorham about 9:30 PM. It stops at the Irving gas station, next door to Hikers Paradise. The Barn is more than a mile, back into town. Just something else to consider when deciding where you'll spend the night.
================================
That's helpful info ...thanks Roland. Knew that bus stopped at the gas station but didn't know where that was with respect to other things in Gorham. Based on everything I'm hearing/reading we'll probably end up at the Paradise and just figure out something else with regard to our mail drops.

Hey ...if it was easy, everybody would do it, RIGHT ?? All just part of the adventure !!

'Slogger

Roland
06-03-2006, 19:01
The Barn is now open and continues its 23-year tradition of serving hikers.

When asked if he accepts drop boxes, George explained that he's happy to do so, for hikers that stay the night.

Footslogger
06-04-2006, 20:52
The Barn is now open and continues its 23-year tradition of serving hikers.

When asked if he accepts drop boxes, George explained that he's happy to do so, for hikers that stay the night.
=============================
Does George have a new phone number ?? No one answers the number listed in the handbook. We're getting into Gorham pretty late and I wouldn't want to just expect that I could open a door, walk-in and grab a bunk.

I'm glad to hear the Barn is up and running but unless I can actually speak to George I think we're probably going to make other plans.

Thanks for the update Roland.

'Slogger