PDA

View Full Version : Springer Mtn (camping)

dtimko
06-01-2006, 12:28
The wife and I are planning on doing an out and back to Springer mountain this weekend (from Amicalola). I haven't done much camping outside of park areas in quite awhile, and I was wondering a few things. First, how the site at Springer Mtn is, and if there is water available. Second, what concerns should I have with sharing my meals with Smokey the Bear? Should I bring anything outside of a bag to hang food in to deal with that?

Forgive the newb question, just getting back into backpacking/camping after a long hiatus.

jlb2012
06-01-2006, 12:44
water is available from a spring at the Springer Mtn. Shelter (0.2 miles past summit iirc)

bear cables are also available at the shelter area - a bag that you can clip onto the bear cable (one with some sort of a loop for example) might be a good idea

Dances with Mice
06-01-2006, 12:52
The wife and I are planning on doing an out and back to Springer mountain this weekend (from Amicalola). I haven't done much camping outside of park areas in quite awhile, and I was wondering a few things. First, how the site at Springer Mtn is, and if there is water available. Second, what concerns should I have with sharing my meals with Smokey the Bear? Should I bring anything outside of a bag to hang food in to deal with that?The Springer spring is reliable, that may be how the mountain got its name, nobody really knows. There are bear cables to hang your food, just tie the bag tight to the link. Just before the shelter on the left (as you walk in) is a big clearing with several nice tent sites if you don't want to use the shelter.

The terminus is a great place to watch the sunset.

dtimko
06-01-2006, 13:01
Thanks guys, the less water I have to haul to Springer the better. :) Will definitely make use of the tent area.

Doctari
06-01-2006, 20:26
And, the top of Springer is rather flat, some good sites there.

Doctari.

Dances with Mice
06-01-2006, 20:43
And, the top of Springer is rather flat, some good sites there. Doctari.The summit area directly behind the terminus is posted as off-limits for camping to give those sites time to recover from years of over-use.

Skidsteer
06-01-2006, 20:47
The summit area directly behind the terminus is posted as off-limits for camping to give those sites time to recover from years of over-use.

...And nuisance bears, if the posted signs are credible.

Dances with Mice
06-01-2006, 21:17
...And nuisance bears, if the posted signs are credible. Maybe the signs mean the nuisance bears need time to recover also? But it's been found that the words "nuisance bears" added to any sign significantly increases its effectiveness.

For example, which do you think would work best: "No Parking", or "No Parking - Nuisance Bears!" ?

dtimko
06-01-2006, 22:02
Ok, a change in plans may be in the works. We are now considering starting the section hike, and doing Springer to Woody Gap over the weekend. The one option is to hike ~7.6m and stay at Hawk Mountain on Saturday, and then do ~12m to Woody Gap on Sunday. How realistic is this? Would there be a better area to set up camp in that would make a more even hike? Aroung Hightower - Cooper Gap maybe?

Dances with Mice
06-01-2006, 22:12
If y'all are just getting back into backpacking, why not just shoot for Gooch Gap instead of Woody? Just as easy to arrange the shuttle and less beat on the feet.

dtimko
06-01-2006, 22:27
If y'all are just getting back into backpacking, why not just shoot for Gooch Gap instead of Woody? Just as easy to arrange the shuttle and less beat on the feet.

Actually, we are undecided. I emailed the couple at Hiker Hostel to see about a shuttle, and inquired about either ending at Gooch or Woody.

We are ~2mph backpackers, at least through Kennesaw Mtn where we've been "warming up" with full packs. I guess I just have an itch to get some mileage. :)

UnkaJesse
06-04-2006, 23:55
Justus Creek has great camping sites. Skip the well used sites near the bridge, and continue up the trail (North). The trail will follow the stream for about 75 yards. When the trail turns away from the stream (to the left), go staight over a small ridge and you'll drop down into a fairly open camping area right on the water. That ridge does wonders for keeping the noise down from the sites by the bridge.

Let me know if the pile of women's underwear and bras (36D) is still on a boulder just north of Cooper Gap. I wondered what I would find up the trail!

max patch
06-05-2006, 09:09
Ok, a change in plans may be in the works. We are now considering starting the section hike, and doing Springer to Woody Gap over the weekend. The one option is to hike ~7.6m and stay at Hawk Mountain on Saturday, and then do ~12m to Woody Gap on Sunday. How realistic is this? Would there be a better area to set up camp in that would make a more even hike? Aroung Hightower - Cooper Gap maybe?

The section from Springer to Hawk is one of the easiest in Georgia. I thought I would spend the nite there on my thru, but I arrived at lunch time so I kept going.

Hawk would be a good goal if you get a late start due to shuttling or whatever.

Justus Creek would be a good goal if you are able to get an early start.

dtimko
06-05-2006, 13:00
Let me know if the pile of women's underwear and bras (36D) is still on a boulder just north of Cooper Gap. I wondered what I would find up the trail!

Indeed, it is still there. I was quite shocked to see that, about an entire outfit laying there. We actually stopped and camped at Horse Gap. It broke up the 20 miles about even, and we were pretty hungry at that point. Would've been nice to make it to Justus, but we didn't have it in us for a 13 mile day (at a 10am start).

We used Josh & Leigh at the Hiker Hostel for shuttle service, and I have to say they are two great people. Had a blast talking to Josh on the rides - he has no shortage of good stories.