PDA

View Full Version : Long Trail yo-yo

BDT
06-01-2006, 15:23
Hey all! i'm glad to be part of whiteblaze. I have a question. Does anyone know what the youngest age for a Long Trail yo-yo hike is? I am leaving on the 23rd to do a yo-yo and I am 17 years old and will be finnishing two weeks before my 18th b-day. I consider myself experienced and in great shape and expect to finish in 40 days or less. I would love to know whatpeople think about this and to get any suggestions.

:banana

emerald
06-01-2006, 17:49
I'm doubtful GMC keeps such records. If you want to know, you might inquire with them.

By the way, that would be an End-to-End-to-End in LT lingo. I don't think GMC recognizes them, nor do they have End-to-End-to-End patches. Were you to say such a thing while on the Long Trail at this time of year, you'd likely get a mouthful of blackflies for your trouble.

You could submit 2 End-to-End applications if you would like GMC to recognize both hikes, however.

http://www.greenmountainclub.org/ (http://www.greenmountainclub.org/)

MOWGLI
06-01-2006, 18:12
I would love to know whatpeople think about this and to get any suggestions.

:banana

:welcome BDT. Don't worry about so-called "records" or firsts, or anything of the sort. Just go out and enjoy yourself. That's my advice.

emerald
06-01-2006, 20:12
This is my 3rd attempt to make a 2nd post to this thread. Maybe it isn't meant to be, but I think I have a good idea for Brandon. I will try again.

Consider hiking the Long Trail end-to-end once in whatever direction you desire and contributing the remainder of your time to GMC. I think you would get more out of that than turning around at Journey's End or Mass and hiking it in the oppoiste direction and the Long Trail would benefit more too.

GMC has a paid trail crew known as The Long Trail Patrol which accepts volunteers who are willing to commit a week or more I believe. In exchange for your labor, you would be provided with a place to live and meals. Trail work can be every bit as rewarding and even more so than hiking.

You would even save some money by contributing your time which you could use to pay for a membership in GMC if you are not already a member.

I have done both and highly recommend the experience, both the LT and LTP. If you want more information, PM me or post again asking me to PM you.

BDT
06-01-2006, 21:39
Dont get me wrong I will enjoy myself. I will only be averaging 14 miles a day and the whole reason i'm doing an end to end to end is to spend more time on the trail. I am not doing it to be the youngest, that Idea just came to me as I was board. And shades of grey, that would be a great idea for next summer after I graduate, I would love to do something like that. But this summer I just need to take some time to think and hike. Any other ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

DawnTreader
06-01-2006, 22:55
Go for it man.. Sounds like you've proposed the challange, now go out there and have a blast.. jut try not to get yourself killed..

Peace

SideWedge
06-02-2006, 10:54
I just got off the LT from doing a thru-hike turned section hike, and this summer will be my second on the Long Trail Patrol. The bugs are unlike anything I have ever seen before, mainly due to the fact that this was the wettest May on record EVER for many parts of Vermont. Be prepared to just about go crazy from the skeeters and black flies...you might want to think about delaying your hike if you have the time, as June in VT is known for its bugs. GMC doesn't keep track of record holders, and the rain doesn't look like its going anywhere. There are also still pretty muddy sections of trail and the stream crossings are worse than usual, so in my opinion it would be worth delaying by as much as you can, and in the end your hike could end up much more enjoyable! Have an awesome hike, and maybe I'll see you out there.

emerald
06-02-2006, 15:27
Are there any specific questions we can answer to help you be better prepared for your hike? Any concerns or unresolved issues with which we can assist you?

BDT
06-02-2006, 16:31
Yeah, unfortunatly there is no way for me to reschedule my hike. but I am very used to hiking in bugs so I should be fine, also I have plenty of deet. I'll just bear thru it and try the best I can.

poison_ivy
06-02-2006, 17:23
Bring lots of DEET. I will echo Sidewedge... the black flies are really awful this year. I can normally tolerate them pretty well (I hiked in Maine quite a bit last year during black fly season without a complaint.) The black flies on the LT almost drove me insane last weekend. I ran out of DEET very quickly because I was using it a lot more often than I normally do.

- Ivy

BDT
06-02-2006, 21:44
i'll bring extra DEET, thanks. I also have wind layers and a hednet so i'll cover up the best I can.

emerald
06-04-2006, 12:41
I hope you will make the most of your Green Mountain adventure and have a great trip. I'll stay subcribed to your thread. Come back upon your return and let us know how everything went and what you learned that might be of benefit to the rest of us.

Be sure to spend some time with the GMC summer field staff you meet. You will likely find that you have many things in common with them. Learn what you can about their positions. As an End-to-Ender, you would likely be a strong contender for a postion with GMC's field staff next summer.

Take some photos of some of the fine examples of rock work on the Long Trail to post here at WhiteBlaze.net, would you? I really appreciate staircases, waterbars and other treadway-stabilizing structures built of native materials and don't see enough photos that depict some of the better work. You'll see many fine examples of durable structures that really blend with the landscape on the LT.

Lastly, if you think of any more questions before you depart, post them. There are many more people on WhiteBlaze.net with LT experience than what the volume of posting on this thread would suggest. I'm not sure whether they are hiking or snoozing.

SideWedge
06-04-2006, 17:09
If you want to spend the full 40 days hiking you might want to think about things other than a yo-yo, which will allow you to experience a lot more trail. Especially as you're from Ohio it could be cool to hike more of New England...you could:
-do a northbound LT hike (taking as long as you desire), then go back to Maine Junction and hike to New Hampshire from there
-hike south on the LT from Canada and then continue through Massachuetts
If your heart isn't set on a yo-yo I would strongly consider seeing twice the amount of trail...IMHO it'll be a much more exciting trip to see more stuff.

And I'll echo Shades of Grey...talk to GMC folks you run into. We tend to be pretty cool people ;) ; caretakers will just be getting out for the season when you start, and you should see the Long Trail Patrol out in force on northern sections of trail. Enjoy yourself!

BDT
06-10-2006, 09:17
Hey all! I just got back from Arizona and was looking at Vermont weather and it seemed to be improving. Has anyone been out on the trail in the last few days? if you have could you tell me what the trail was like? thanks!

emerald
06-10-2006, 09:43
Some GMC field staff and section members involved with LT maintenance have no doubt recently been afield. You could also get some up-to-date information on trail conditions from Green Mountain National Forest personnel. I don't have any phone numbers handy. You can probably find a phone number for GMNF district ranger stations with a Google search.

Someone may post something here too. Look late Sunday or Monday for sure to see if someone has. Depending on how you have your subscription set up for this thread, you could be getting instant, daily or weekly email notification of posts. I'm not sure what's the default configuration or whether you changed that, but you should have a better idea now ;).

emerald
06-10-2006, 10:22
These 2 journals have the most recent entries. Both hikers are no longer hiking and have already posted to your thread.

Poison Ivy 2006
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=4105 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=4105)

SideWedge 2006
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3973 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3973)

There's a wealth of information on trailjournals.com that may be of use to you.

mrc237
06-10-2006, 10:32
Starting a SB LT hike from Stowe on the 17th plan on continuing S to NY and Harriman SP then continue S to NYC on the Long Path. Hopefully we'll meet somewhere along the way.

John S
06-10-2006, 10:34
Views from the Top (http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/index-vftt.html (http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/index-vftt.html)) has timely trail condition reports for much of the northeast.

poison_ivy
06-10-2006, 14:52
These 2 journals have the most recent entries. Both hikers are no longer hiking and have already posted to your thread.

Poison Ivy 2006
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=4105 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=4105)

Hey, I'm still hiking, just on weekends. :)

Last weekend the LT was very muddy. There are spots that are blowdown hell and other places that are smooth sailing. I guess it's all just typical conditions in the northeast.

- Ivy

BDT
06-10-2006, 19:04
What are the bugs like?

emerald
06-10-2006, 21:36
I think it's safe to assume that the distribution of blackflies and other 6-legged, airborne nuisances will not be any more uniform than the blowdowns, rain or other undesireable, unavoidable and unpredictable obstacles to your complete enjoyment. You really mustn't attempt to plan your hike around them or allow them to interfere with it.:rolleyes:

On the Long Trail sometimes flowing with the trail hinges on your ability to flow with the bugs, trying though that may be. Occasionally that requires an eye-for-an-eye approach. You know, sometimes your blood, sometimes theirs, other times you get your own back when you crush them -- not that it's going to do you any good at that point. It might make you feel better though to grind their remains into the treadway before you climb the next mountain. Even enemy combatants deserve a proper burial.;)

On a hike of the distance and duration you're contemplating, you must be prepared to take the bad along with the good. You'll deal with bad things as best you can when you encounter them and you'll rise above them. The fragrance of balsam fir and the songs of white-throated sparrows wafting through the alpine air serve as a sharp counterpoint to the depredations of the six-legged creatures and will bouy your spirits as you climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

If that won't work for you, skip the 1st half of the yo-yo. Conditions may be better later. Might I suggest Harpers Ferry to Delaware Water Gap on the A.T. instead, followed by a S to N End-toEnd? We have the best rocks on the A.T. in Pennsylvania and we're not far from Ohio.

Were you to do that, you'd have 2 substantial sections of the A.T. knocked out. You could save DWG to Vermont for later when it's not as hot sometime in the fall and The Maine Junction to Katahdin for last after you complete the southern 1/2 of the A.T.

BDT
06-12-2006, 23:44
Thanks you have been a great help in my hike.