PDA

View Full Version : Bennington, Vt ??

soad
06-01-2006, 19:43
A buddy of mine is looking at a job prospect in Bennington, Vt. I see that the AT passes near the town. Does anyone have any comment (positive or negative) about the town (people) or the surrounding mountains (I'm sure there is a ton of great stuff in the Green Mts...any specifics??)

thanks!!!!:)

Nean
06-02-2006, 12:04
I've been there a few times and really enjoyed it. The locals I met there were very friendly. I'd probably live anywhere in Vermont given the opportunity.

Rockjock
06-02-2006, 16:21
I went to a private military college in Vermont for four years, but was only in Bennington once. I love Vermont, its people are generally friendly, dry sense of humor and practical. I would love to retire there.

Rock

Blue Jay
06-02-2006, 17:31
I don't live in Bennington, but I can easily walk there from my home. It is a great place to live.

TOW
06-03-2006, 09:41
bennington is a great town, but the best town is either wilmington or the west dover area around mt snow........these towns are really hiker friendly....

Bayou
06-03-2006, 11:30
Bennington, Vt, just there a few weeks ago, finishing the AT. Nice town and a few nice people. Had to wait the longest for a ride back to the trail. A librarian did not no there was a local bus service. And it was not noted in the "Companion."

arla
06-03-2006, 18:02
I live in Bennington, and have unofficially hosted thru hikers for three years. Last year, Bennington really began to become more hiker friendly by supplying feasts, bicycles, shuttle service, and information on finding places to stay, like my house--just half a block from the post office, for those using Bennington as a mail drop. Lots of locals don't have a clue what's going on but there are some really hiker-oriented people here and Nature's Closet is a good place to check in for hiker info. If there is a local bus service, it's new this year, and has not been publicized, assuming you mean a bus service to/from Route 9 crossover. Bennington no longer has a bus station for getting in/out of town. And, best of all, my place is free, with all the amenities (shower, laundry, kitchen, computer, phone) although most hikers actually prefer to sleep in our barn. I like to cook for hikers, too! And I'm willing to shuttle. There's more than a few nice hiker-friendly folks in Bennington and hosting hikers has led to some lasting friendships for us!

RITBlake
06-03-2006, 18:54
ya ya,

As southbounders, hiker 'feeds' are hard to come by. In Bennington we were treated to our one one and only feed of the trip. The guys at Natures Closet were great and they made a real strong effort to welcome hikers in to town. The yellow bikes scattered throughout town were great to ride around and run errands on. Great little town w/ lots of cool history.

Blue Jay
06-03-2006, 19:10
ya ya,

As southbounders, hiker 'feeds' are hard to come by. In Bennington we were treated to our one one and only feed of the trip. The guys at Natures Closet were great and they made a real strong effort to welcome hikers in to town. The yellow bikes scattered throughout town were great to ride around and run errands on. Great little town w/ lots of cool history.

See that Bennington is even feeds SOBOs, I mean come on. Bennington is the best, I even met the Tooth Fairy walking down the street.

soad
06-03-2006, 20:39
Thanks for all the information. A further question for any locals (Blue Jay): What is the drive like to Albany? My buddy's wife may need to look a little farther to get a job...is it an easy drive (traffic)? What about in the winter? How long is the drive on average? They live down south now but grew up in Buffalo, they can't stand the heat...

thanks again!!!!:D

arla
06-06-2006, 16:42
Albany is a 45 minute to one hour commute, depending on where you're going. It's not a bad drive although, in winter, NY takes way better care of their roads than VT does. There is always a lot of skier traffic in winter, too and there have been numerous construction projects between here and there--all things that can slow you down. Albany has lots of cultural performances so I go there often.

Let me know if you want any more info; I'm a local, born and raised but world traveled, too. Speaking of that, Albany Airport is one of the easiest to navigate and access.

What kind of work is she looking for?

Bankrobber
06-07-2006, 12:15
My parents live a few miles from Bennington. It is a poor town that seems on the up. The Blue Benn Diner is one of the best restaurants on the trail!

soad
06-07-2006, 17:57
His wife is an assistant Manager at a clothing store (jcrew or old navy, I can never remember) She is looking for something similar. They are considering moving to somewhere between Bennington and Albany or Bennington and Pittsfiled, MA.

Thank for all the great info!!:)

Albany is a 45 minute to one hour commute, depending on where you're going. It's not a bad drive although, in winter, NY takes way better care of their roads than VT does. There is always a lot of skier traffic in winter, too and there have been numerous construction projects between here and there--all things that can slow you down. Albany has lots of cultural performances so I go there often.

Let me know if you want any more info; I'm a local, born and raised but world traveled, too. Speaking of that, Albany Airport is one of the easiest to navigate and access.

What kind of work is she looking for?

neo
06-07-2006, 18:54
:) all of my experinces in vermont have been very positive,bennington,north claredon,rutland,manchester,i love vermont.:cool: neo