PDA

View Full Version : underdrawers: to have or have not?

baerbelleksa
06-02-2006, 12:54
for a thru-hike, should underwear be taken? and if so, what kind/brand is best?

Mouse
06-02-2006, 13:33
On my thruhike I wore lined shorts with no briefs in warm weather and Ex Officio briefs with long pants in cold weather. It worked for me, no chaffing or weird infections or whatever.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-02-2006, 14:42
I'm a fan of cammando with skirts for hot weather, but I need underwear with shorts and pants. I use a Meroni microfiber brief sold in the men's dept. at Target - no seams in the crotch and breathes well / dries fast.

Michele
06-02-2006, 23:11
I haven't thru-hiked yet (next year!!), but I'm planning on wearing $5.00 spandex men's biker shorts. They are long enough to fit over my "chub rub" (a.k.a. upper thighs). I don't know about breathability, but in general I always go commando on a daily basis, except for during exercise due to chafing. I hate underwear.

dragonfly
07-18-2006, 09:08
Has anyone tried these? http://www.smartypantsunderwear.com/

They were mentioned in a recent Washington Post article about new workout gear that's supposedly less stinky... I was more interested in their potential to reduce chafing and improve moisture management.

Johnny Swank
07-18-2006, 11:14
The ladyfriend is either commando or wearing some of the exofficio drawers. She's a fan.

Blissful
07-18-2006, 12:37
I LOVE my ex officio travel briefs. I have two pair and that's what I wore on my recent trip to Italy (and it was HOT there). Wore one and washed the other. They worked beautifully. Worth the price.

latte
07-18-2006, 23:47
I love the exofficio underware! I have tried others, but I think it's the best. This summer, we hiked in rain and heat, and I was constantly soaked. I sweated so much, I could ring out my shorts!! They were the only underware that I could use that didn't make me feel like a UTI was developing.:eek: Unfortunately, I had only one pair with me, so I had to go commando on the days that they were drying. I'll never try the cheaper undies again!! :o

Johnny Swank
07-18-2006, 23:55
I love em too, and I should probably shut up now!

StarLyte
07-19-2006, 11:51
I love em too, and I should probably shut up now!

ha ha ha

They are very nice - but I don't think I want to pay $29. But they ARE nice.

thanks for the link-
Marsha

KHamilton
08-15-2006, 13:18
I haven't thru-hiked yet (next year!!), but I'm planning on wearing $5.00 spandex men's biker shorts. They are long enough to fit over my "chub rub" (a.k.a. upper thighs). I don't know about breathability, but in general I always go commando on a daily basis, except for during exercise due to chafing. I hate underwear.

The only concern I would have is the smell. Anything spandex pretty much retains funk/stink forever; a lesson I learned right away. I began my thru-hike last year with underwear, and I ended up throwing them away at Hiawassee. In my mind, it was just one more thing to carry and one more thing to wash in town. I chose to go without, and I wore pants w/zip-off legs the rest of the hike. No infections, no chafing, no irritation of any kind. :)

Monster
08-16-2006, 09:25
I've been wearing EMS brand, but found they were not all I had hoped while camping during the early August New York heat wave. They were constantly soaked with sweat and my "complexion" took 10 days to recover from the constant moisture.

Monster
08-16-2006, 09:26
I like the idea of commando under a skirt save for the 'squitoes and "chub rub." Ouch.

Gray Blazer
08-16-2006, 09:33
Does Victoria's secret carry a hiking brand?

Ewker
08-16-2006, 10:19
Does Victoria's secret carry a hiking brand?

are you looking to buy some for yourself :eek: :cool:

Gray Blazer
08-16-2006, 10:34
are you looking to buy some for yourself :eek: :cool:
Ewker, what are you doing in this forum!?? I'm outa here.

gumball
08-16-2006, 18:52
I haven't thru hiked yet either, but we do quite a few long distance hikes, and I wear running shorts with the underroos built in. Mine also have a nice zipper pocket. They are light weight, and I can carry an extra pair to switch out when we do wash, etc.