PDA

View Full Version : Week long trip suggestions - VA to GA

kdhoward83
06-02-2006, 13:23
Im planning a hike this summer for about a week (first hike longer than a day or two). I was wondering whats everyones favorite week long or so stretch of the trail? Im really just looking for a part of the trail between VA and GA.. though any response is welcome. Thanks

-Keith

mingo
06-02-2006, 14:13
fontana to hot springs

erwin to damascus

Walkingdude
06-02-2006, 16:29
If you're not locked in to just hiking the AT, you can always hike other trails in the GSMNP that connect to the AT and do some fabulous loops. One of my favorite week-long backpacks began in the Big Creek section and I ended up at Newfound Gap via the AT. With over 800 miles of trails, you can piece together some truly amazing backpacking trips there.

bigcranky
06-02-2006, 20:07
Partnership Shelter southbound to Damascus. 65 miles of great and varied scenery.

Kerosene
06-03-2006, 11:54
I'd also look at the hike around Roanoke, where you will encounter Dragon's Tooth, McAfee Knob, and Tinkers Cliffs within 30 miles.

Krewzer
06-04-2006, 11:15
Hard to pick a favorite, but I gotta go with Walkin' Dude on this one.

For a first time week hike, The Smokies with some blue blazin', NOBO or SOBO. Fontana to Davenport Gap. It may not matter to you, but you'll be around experienced backcountry hikers and newbies like yourself. Park Rangers and the Ridge Runners are generally around on the AT as a resource too. It's a good place to get your feet wet.

If you going this month, the azalea and the Rhodi's should start blooming. Big big plus.
All sorts of options and side trips in the Smokies on the route; Shuckstack, Gregory Bald for the Flame Azalea, Mt Leconte, Mt Cammerer Lookout or over Mt Sterling or creek walk through Walnut Bottoms.

But you know, any where you pick is going to be great. Happy Trails!
(BTW. If you decide on SMNP, call for shelters and camp sites as early as possible to get the sites you want.)

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/gsmsite/trails2005.pdf

orangebug
06-04-2006, 11:29
Another good choice would be either SOBO into Damascus over Mt Rogers and the Gracelyn Highlands (ponies) and along the Virginian Creeper Trail. Very nice variety of terrain, much like NC balds but with its own unique qualities.

Another good week is from Erin to Kincora. You get the NC Balds, rhodis on Roan Mtn., great views and pretty good isolation.

Uncle Silly
06-05-2006, 06:57
I have to say, the Dragon's Tooth / McAfee Knob / Tinker Cliffs area is a very nice little section, one that I'd like to do again soon (with good camera gear!). I'm pretty sure that's sort of Daleville (VA) south to Pearisburg. The Mount Rogers area is nice too. I haven't hiked much of the AT south of Damascus, but everything I've seen (Albert Mt, Roan Mt, GSMNP) have been very nice. Good luck picking a spot... I'd probably have to lay out the map and throw a dart. :)