PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Poncho tarp for my HH

Hanger
06-02-2006, 15:10
I have decided to go with a poncho tarp for my HH. I have used the stock tarp for a year now and have never had a problem it or with it's size since I started hanging it on a separate ridge line, so I think a poncho tarp would work well for me. I also understand the trade offs for using a poncho tarp. Now I'm just having a problem with which one to choose. Hear my list:

1. Golite Ultra-Lite Ponch/Tarp
- $50
- 8.5' x 4.8', 9.8' diagonal
- 11 oz.
2. Campmor (Equinox) Ultra-Lite Extension Poncho/Tarp
- $45
- 8.8' x 4.8', 10' diagonal
- 8.5 oz.
3. Integral Designs Sil Poncho
- $75
- 8' x 5', 9.4' diagonal
- 9 oz.
4. Dancing Light Gear Ultralite Poncho/Tarp
- $95
- 9.6' x 5.25', 10.9' diagonal
- 10 oz.
5. Mountain Laurel Designs 1.35 Silnylon Pro
- $80
- 9' x 5.4', 10.5' diagonal
- 9 oz.

Weight really takes a back seat here. While it is important to me, all of these poncho's are within a few ounces of eachother. What is important to me is price and coverage. The best deals in terms of price/area are the Campmor (~$1.07/sq. ft.), Golite (~$1.22/sq. ft.), and the Mountain Laurel Designs (~$1.65/sq. ft.). The Dancing Light Gear and the Integral Designs were ~$1.87/sp. ft.

The Integral Designs is out b/c it is the smallest and the the third most expensive. I've eliminated the Campmor also, b/c there are durability issues I've read about in reviews and it lacks ridge line tie outs which are really nice to have if I ever wanted to set it up like a normal tarp on the ground. The Dancing Light Gear is the biggest, but it is the most expensive, and it isn't that much bigger than the Mountain Laural Designs.

My top two choices are the Golite and Mountain Laurel. The Golite is smaller and heavier, but it is made out of a more durable and waterproof fabric according to Backpacking Light. Also, that Skurka guy used it on his 7,000 mile jaunt, so it must hold up well. But, the Mountain Laurel is larger, lighter, and has a longer diagonal. However, I know little about this product as I have not found any reviews on it. Also, it uses a slit in the ridge line for the hood, but when setting it up above the hammock, the ridgeline will not be in use, so I don't know if it will seal up tightly enough. Does anyone know anything about the Mountain Laurel Designs?

Thanks for any feed back.

mike!
06-02-2006, 18:03
i know the one downside to mountain laurel designs at the moment is the 10 week waiting list. the nice thing about MLD however is that he can tweak the poncho tarp for you or go all out custom if you choose that. good question with the hood however... hmm i wounder, do you need to put it on the diagnol? i believe risk uses a 9x5 (?) tarp for his 'speer' hammock, but im sure theres a difference between a HH and his.
anyway, sorry for not really helping or anything :D
good luck!
mike!

peter_pan
06-02-2006, 20:51
Go with the dancing light...best coverage, for the poncho models listed...reasonable price.... saving a buck will be a pooooor decision when you awake wet and cold.

BTW....the JRB tarp, (88x88 with 11 foot diagonal) is way more coverage...Currently on a blow out sale and with free STLs...makes into a cape with addition of three buttons and three button loops. DIY instructions for the cape mod will be posted on the JRB web site soon...meantime, call if interested and we will be glad to tell you how.

Pan

Just Jeff
06-02-2006, 22:46
If you gather the hood and wrap the drawstring around it, the hole will be sealed before you hang it and the slit won't make a difference.

porkbutter
06-03-2006, 00:42
[quote=Hanger]I have decided to go with a poncho tarp for my HH.

I don’t have any experience with any of these tarp/ponchos, but I do have experience with Dancing Light Gear’s stuff. I own one of their Tacoma-for-2 shelters (and some smaller items) and find it to be brilliant in its simplicity. (Although, sadly retired after discovering hammock camping) Very well made items. Brawny and Rainmaker seen to be fine people, and I would not hesitate to deal with them anytime. This is just positive bias based on personal experience, but is the way I would go.