PDA

View Full Version : what shoes to minimize toe pain?

leland
06-02-2006, 15:56
Hi all,

I've been putting a lot of miles on my feet, and dealing with increased pain in my toes for a while. After seeing a few podiatrists and getting some bad orthotics, I finally saw a orthopaedist who diagnosed me with hallux rigidus. That's arthritis of the big toe.

One thing I'm supposed to do is find stiff-soled soles, but more importantly ones that don't flex at the toe. The goal is to minimize movement of the toe.

I don't know how I'll be walking, but if it helps the pain, I'll deal with it... Any recommendations for particularly stiff shoes? I've looked, but not found much except for extremely heavy hikers. Would prefer something a bit lighter, like something w/ a lightweight forefoot shank.

I have some carbon fiber inserts, but they make the fit of most shoes a bit awkward.

And if you know where to get some stiff soled shoes suitable for work/life, please let me know. I've been striking out for a while now on all shoe fronts.

Any and all suggestions welcome! Thanks.

icemanat95
06-02-2006, 18:00
son't they usually recommend keeping arthritic joints mobile? That's what they keep telling me for my hands and knees.

A boot built to accept crampons, especially step-ins will be pretty rigid through the toes. The old Asolo Poseidon was a fairly svelte, lightweight boot with a rigid sole compatible with step-in crampons. Unfortunately they don't make it anymore. Vasque and Salomon both make some lighter weight boots in this class, but you are going to have to accept some weight on your feet.

jlb2012
06-03-2006, 06:49
another approach would be to take a piece of 16 gauge steel and cut it to fit under your insoles/footbeds - I have no idea if this would work but it may be fairly light weight relative to some of the other options

Auntie Mame
06-04-2006, 00:47
I have the same problem and find that hiking can help moderate the stiffness and pain, although its counterintuitive. I wear a light hiker with some ankle support and a little extra room in the toes.
A shoe I have worn and liked for "civilian" use, Dansko closed-back clogs. Very rigid sole with a rocker bottom that is real easy on the feet. Sierra Tradingpost has them at a good discount sometimes, men's and women's.
Good luck. Lately it seems that all those quirky things our great aunts used to mutter about getting old were actually true!

leland
06-04-2006, 23:52
Thanks for the tips. I actually have some carbon fiber insoles that are somewhat like the steel. Will take a look at Vasque and Solomon. It's unfortunate that everyone is going for ultra-flexible in just about every kind of shoe these days.

The Danskos are likely a good idea, although it's just sad that as a 27 year old male I have the feet of a 70 year old woman. Too much soccer. Don't know how those are going to look with a suit, either ;)