PDA

View Full Version : Doing laundry...what to wear?

Peanut
06-02-2006, 18:02
When you go into a laudromat to wash clothes, what do you end up wearing? ...your night clothes? I'm having a hard time picturing it. :)

Thanks,
J

Footslogger
06-02-2006, 18:09
Rain gear ...

'Slogger

the goat
06-02-2006, 18:58
i've worn a trash bag before.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-02-2006, 19:35
This thread needs pictures.

bigcranky
06-02-2006, 19:35
Yeah, you should be washing your night clothes. Rain gear is a common choice, another reason to carry rain pants and not just a poncho <g>. I know it's not hard core ultralight, but we have been known to carry a very light pair of shorts and a t-shirt for use in town.

stumpknocker
06-02-2006, 20:53
Why go to a laundromat if you have a motel. I've always just dropped my hiking clothes in the tub while I'm showering and step on them like grapes and rinse them out a couple times. :) Never have to bother finding a laudromat. Then I wear them dry while walking to a restaurant.
On the trail, I use a silnylon water bag for a washing machine. That way I can dump the dirty water away from the stream.
I don't like that detergent smell. :)

Footslogger
06-02-2006, 22:00
This thread needs pictures.
=======================
No way ...we'd have to restrict viewing.

'Slogger

Just Jeff
06-02-2006, 22:37
Yeah - and they'd get sent all over the internet and probably end up on rotten.com. (Don't go there if you're easily offended. Or even remotely offendable. Seriously.)

titanium_hiker
06-03-2006, 01:29
hilarious that the guys all chime in when it's a "what to wear" thread. :D

what about bounce-boxing a clean set of clothes if you are doing the AT? since you are only wearing them when you get into town and for however long your laundry needs...
*never hiked the AT so no idea of logistics... sounds right though. :)

titanium_hiker

SGT Rock
06-03-2006, 01:53
Yeah, you should be washing your night clothes. Rain gear is a common choice, another reason to carry rain pants and not just a poncho <g>. I know it's not hard core ultralight, but we have been known to carry a very light pair of shorts and a t-shirt for use in town.

For the women that wear skirts and even guys that wear hiking kilts, check out the Ettowah Outfitter's Rain Wrap.

Amigi'sLastStand
06-04-2006, 11:18
My 3/4 rain jacket, no pants. I've gone into a restuarant in Marco, FL with nothing else on. My hiking attitude leans towards DILLIGAF when around nonhikers, so I just did it. Well, it was Marco, FL. No one noticed. In fact, I might have been the best dressed.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-04-2006, 11:27
I haven't done this, but I ran into a guy wearing a dark forest green silnylon tarp toga style in a laudromat once. He was well covered and beyond a few stares and snickers, no one seemed to care. Not sure this would work with a lighter colored tarp.

Smile
06-04-2006, 11:35
I carry a JagBag - great for a liner in the colder weather, and you can use it instead of a bad in the summer. T

These are pretty large and light ( mine is tye dye blue) and looks rather fashionable lounging in the 'mat wrapped around as a sarong.

Would be even easier for a guy to utilize.

Mouse
06-04-2006, 11:40
I usually reserved one top and bottom as town clothes/emergency dry clothes and wore them as little as possible on the trail. Usually that is what I wore at laundermats. Once or twice I wore raingear until I sent my rainpants home. The other choice is do two loads to wash everything, changing into clean clothes between loads. Sharing loads with another hiker can save money.

Some hostels have "loaner" clothing allowing you to wash everything at once. And about half the time I stayed in a motel and did everything on the bathroom sink by hand with Dr Bronners soap.

Gaiter
09-12-2006, 20:06
I wore my rain jacket and my cleanest pair of pants, sometimes i would do two small loads. I plan for my next hike taking a piece of tyvek and trying to add some velcro to it, so it will double as a groundcloth and skirt for laundry.

Hanna

NEFFA
09-18-2006, 20:40
I brought a silk shirt and pants I got at goodwill, they weighed nothing and looked great. I only wore them for laundry time so didn't have to wash them.

Hammock Hanger
09-19-2006, 06:54
Why go to a laundromat if you have a motel. I've always just dropped my hiking clothes in the tub while I'm showering and step on them like grapes and rinse them out a couple times. :) Never have to bother finding a laudromat. Then I wear them dry while walking to a restaurant.
On the trail, I use a silnylon water bag for a washing machine. That way I can dump the dirty water away from the stream.
I don't like that detergent smell. :)

He's not lying. He comes out of a shower fresh and clean wearing wet clothes. Unless it was extrememly hot out the wearing of wet clothes somehow takes away from my "fresh shower" feel.

I have a very lightwt short dress that I wear in town when I do laundry and sleep in when in shelters. It has worked well for me.

That all said some of the best pictures can be taken at a trail town laundry. Holloween everyday. :)

Marla in the Mts
09-24-2006, 20:56
I have worn whatever is still clean upon arrival at the laundry. My sleeping bag liner makes a great cover-all, or just a skirt if I'm not washing my rain jacket.

(I have never hiked in my sleeping bag liner. :-? Just not been that desparate, that dirty.)