PDA

View Full Version : fellow hikers steal hammock

tanpuma
06-03-2006, 09:19
Dear friends, I just got back from a short trip with new hiker friends to dolly sods WVa. I of course had brought a hammock ( brazilian type), bugnet, and tarp. My friends had a giant tent. I offered them some hammock time the first day, and then ... Every time I got up they slivered into my hammock. Ignoring the hot , bumpy tent.
I need to get them thier own Hammock

Just Jeff
06-03-2006, 10:57
Ahem - THEY need to get them their own hammock!

Too many people are converting - we're gonna run out of trees! Sounds like you had a good trip.

Doctari
06-03-2006, 11:17
AHH, lesson learned. never let a tent sleeper in my hammock without a backup plan.

Um, how much would a few scorpions weigh???? :D
Or is a tarantula scarier??
OH! I know, a bird eating spider, absolutly Hugh, hey, they eat BIRDS afterall. :eek:

Nahh, I'll just carry Sugar, , I figure a 2Lb rat dropped in on a sleeping hiker will get the desired results. And, she likes going for walks with me. :p

Doctari.

corentin
06-03-2006, 11:19
Or you could just mark your territory like dogs do...

DawnTreader
06-03-2006, 18:32
haha...
just had a similar experience.. let a friend rest in the HH and the next day, he swore off tents and bought a hammock.. hehehe.. if the shoe fits..

littlelaurel59
06-03-2006, 19:18
Hammocks make great camp chairs, too. I hiked with my son last weekend in the Smokies. At the end of the day, it was nice to kick off the trail shoes and take the load off the feet. A great place to sit and eat supper. No sitting on rocks and logs, My bottom was happy!

Jonas4321
06-04-2006, 08:46
That's one of the reasons I made 3 complete hammock sets, so I'd have happy friends to camp with! They carry their own of course!

strnorm
06-04-2006, 20:29
Just got back to Tn. been on the trail in Pa. northeast section,love my byer hammock,sleeps good also makes a great chair to sit in goodbye tent and sleeping bags and pads

MedicineMan
06-06-2006, 00:46
got another one last week, it took less than 2 seconds before the permagrin appeard...she'll be using it next week for 4 nights and has never multi-day hiked before on the AT, what a way to start...most of us paid the tent dues for years!

tanpuma
06-17-2006, 09:11
I was away again, that last trip stressed me, having to fight for my hammock.
yes I agree they need to get thier own hammock. The same people also always end up owing me gas money, so the hammock behavior is an indication of other things.
Non-hammockers take note: Our Hammock is our bed and house, please do not squat in it permanently. Also do not wear shoes in someone elses hammock.

Jaybird
06-17-2006, 09:15
Ahem - THEY need to get them their own hammock!
Too many people are converting - we're gonna run out of trees! Sounds like you had a good trip.

whadya gonna do when they aint NO trees!

Just Jeff
06-17-2006, 12:22
Blame it on the Republicans, of course!

Pacific Tortuga
06-17-2006, 14:53
Blame it on the Republicans, of course!

H A ! i just thought of desert camping,thats funny. :banana

Touch of Grey
06-17-2006, 18:13
whadya gonna do when they aint NO trees!

You could always carry around a few tree seeds not much weight to them and when you need them plop them in the ground and instant trees. Well almost instant just have to wait a few years depending on species.:p

TOG - Touch of Grey

Stupid is as stupid does - 'Forrest Gump'

Just Jeff
06-17-2006, 22:23
Yep - don't even have to treat the water for them, either.

BikerDocMills
07-01-2006, 16:10
Let me tell ya about my hammock, HH, During Katrina and for the next 2 weeks, it saved my back and my supplies. During the days, nobody thought to dig inside my HH. Jealously did spead quickly, coworkers were stringing everything you could think of between trees to get off the ground. I even think I saw a piece of Billboard Vynal.

Programbo
07-01-2006, 16:57
Ignoring the hot , bumpy tent. ....I need to get them thier own Hammock

Or a better tent and ground padding for the occassion..I recall a lot of companies used to make tents that were almost nothing but no-see-um netting once you took the fly off