PDA

View Full Version : Today's post

TOW
06-03-2006, 09:43
what happened to the "todays post" part? this "new posts" thing don't seem to work as good?

Dances with Mice
06-03-2006, 09:58
what happened to the "todays post" part? this "new posts" thing don't seem to work as good?Click 'Quick Links'.

Say that three times real fast.

TOW
06-03-2006, 10:15
should i say that backwards or forwards....................?

btw, thanx

Just Jeff
06-03-2006, 10:43
Troll, maybe it would be better to put Today's Posts back on the menu bar, and put the Calendar or something that is used less often under the Quick Links.

Nean
06-03-2006, 11:20
All I ever used is Todays post. After I got the word, its 2 clicks instead of 1. Since it got removed I assume most people use something other than Todays post, What would that be? And does anyone know why I can't change my address? Every time I've tried I get: Invaled birthday, but the day is correct???:confused:

TOW
06-03-2006, 12:16
Troll, maybe it would be better to put Today's Posts back on the menu bar, and put the Calendar or something that is used less often under the Quick Links.i agree with that suggestion........

Lugnut
06-03-2006, 13:12
I just click "mark all forums read" when I leave the site and click on "new posts" whenever I come back on. Works great for me.

attroll
06-03-2006, 14:24
I just click "mark all forums read" when I leave the site and click on "new posts" whenever I come back on. Works great for me.

That is the easiest way for me. When I log onto the site I click NEW POSTS and then when I am done reading all the new post that I want to read or that interest me then I click MARK ALL FORUMS READ. Then when you come back to the site i click NEW POSTS again and it only displays the new post that were posted since you last left the site.

I don't understand why everyone does not do this. It is so much easier.

Why would anyone want to even click on TODAYS POSTS?

rhjanes
06-03-2006, 14:31
That is the easiest way for me. When I log onto the site I click NEW POSTS and then when I am done reading all the new post that I want to read or that interest me then I click MARK ALL FORUMS READ. Then when you come back to the site i click NEW POSTS again and it only displays the new post that were posted since you last left the site.

exactly what I do here.....and on the 4 or 5 other VBulliten forums I frequent.
Sometimes, when I want to reread something, then the "today's post" is handy (since I already marked them all read)

attroll
06-03-2006, 14:32
exactly what I do here.....and on the 4 or 5 other VBulliten forums I frequent.
Sometimes, when I want to reread something, then the "today's post" is handy (since I already marked them all read)
Exactly the same thing I do also.

domnokmis
06-03-2006, 14:37

Why would anyone want to even click on TODAYS POSTS?Sometimes I don't get to finish reading the new posts, and the system after you leave it open for a while, then gives you an empty set when you click on new posts again. Then they only way to single out "new" posts is to click on today's posts.

attroll
06-03-2006, 14:55
Sometimes I don't get to finish reading the new posts, and the system after you leave it open for a while, then gives you an empty set when you click on new posts again. Then they only way to single out "new" posts is to click on today's posts.
That was the old WhiteBlaze forum software. The new updated software does not do that anymore. Sine the last update to the software this is no longer and issue. You can walk away from your computer now and come back and hour later and it will still display all the message you have not read unless you have read them or marked them all as read.

The only things that is still the same is you can not start typing a message and walk away without sending it for more then 15 minutes because there is a timeout and it may not get posted. This is because the system logs you out after 15 minutes of inactivity. That can not be avoided. That it for security issues and other things.

Ewker
06-03-2006, 16:19
I like "Todays Post". The reason is that if I read something earlier in the day and want to reread it later in the evening I can. I don't have to wait till someone else post on it so it pops up as a new post since the last time I was on.

Nean
06-03-2006, 16:28
I'll try that all forums read thingy. I enjoy learning new stuff. Thanks!! As for the 15 min rule, I've lost quite a few post by being a slow typer, or by being distracted for a few minutes. Darn that upsets me, but since it can't be avoided.......

Does anyone know why the invalid birthday pops up when I try to change my address?

attroll
06-03-2006, 16:30
Does anyone know why the invalid birthday pops up when I try to change my address?
It could be because you don't have the year you were born in your birthday in you settings.

Nean
06-03-2006, 16:33
It could be because you don't have the year you were born in your birthday in you settings.

Thats true, but I thought I tried putting it in. I'll try again, and thank you attroll!

Nean
06-03-2006, 20:05
Yeah, I put in the year- (didn't need it the first time) and still no luck.:confused: It really does not bother me that my location is wrong. And I tried the mark all forums read deal, no likey. Maybe I'm not doing that right either :o but Todays Post is what I'm comfortable with so I'll stick with it.:)

attroll
06-03-2006, 21:33
Yeah, I put in the year- (didn't need it the first time) and still no luck.:confused: It really does not bother me that my location is wrong. And I tried the mark all forums read deal, no likey. Maybe I'm not doing that right either :o but Todays Post is what I'm comfortable with so I'll stick with it.:)
I put the date 1960 in for you see if that helps and let me know.

Nean
06-03-2006, 21:58
Well, no more invalid birthday!! Now it comes back w/:

There are no subscribed threads to display for this time period. :confused: I'm sure I must be making a silly mistake. Thanks again for your help attroll.

Heater
06-03-2006, 22:05

To go to a post you have already read but want to refer back to.

Nean
06-03-2006, 22:05
Hey, it worked!!!!!:banana :banana :banana :D

Skidsteer
06-03-2006, 22:08

There are no subscribed threads to display for this time period. I'm sure I must be making a silly mistake. Thanks again for your help attroll.

That's not a mistake, Nean. It's just the page that comes up after you successfully save changes to your User Profile. It means good things. :D

That is, so long as your profile info now says what you want it to say.

Hey, it worked!!!!!:banana :banana :D
<!-- / message -->

Edit: Woops! Guess you already know that now.

attroll
06-03-2006, 23:28

There are no subscribed threads to display for this time period. :confused: I'm sure I must be making a silly mistake. Thanks again for your help attroll.
Nean

Send me a PM and tell me what you are actually trying to do and the stpes you are taking. I am confused.

Roland
06-04-2006, 00:04
To Today's Posts users:

Here's an alternate method to restore the Today's Posts (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?do=getdaily) function. Create a button on your browser's Links Toolbar that directs to Today's Posts. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?do=getdaily)

If you don't know how to do this, place your pointer over the link to Today's Posts (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?do=getdaily) in this message. Click and drag that link and drop it in your browser's Links Toolbar. (You can enable the Links Toolbar by clicking on "View" and selecting "Links".)

An advantage of creating your own button for Today's Posts (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?do=getdaily) in your browser, is that it is always visible. No longer is it necessary to scroll to the top of a long thread to reveal the WB toolbar button.

attroll
06-04-2006, 00:07
To Today's Posts users:

Here's an alternate method to restore the Today's Posts (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?do=getdaily) function. Create a button on your browser's Links Toolbar that directs to Today's Posts. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?do=getdaily)

If you don't know how to do this, place your pointer over the link to Today's Posts (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?do=getdaily) in this message. Click and drag that link and drop it in your browser's Links Toolbar. (You can enable the Links Toolbar by clicking on "View" and selecting "Links".)

An advantage of creating your own button for Today's Posts (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?do=getdaily) in your browser, is that it is always visible. No longer is it necessary to scroll to the top of a long thread to reveal the WB toolbar button.

If your going to do that then you might as well click on QUICK LINKS and TODAY'S POSTS.

hikerjohnd
06-04-2006, 00:10
To Today's Posts users:

Thanks for the tip! Now I can even skip the WB homepage and go straight to the posts!

Roland
06-04-2006, 00:11
If your going to do that then you might as well click on QUICK LINKS and TODAY'S POSTS.
That's a two-step process and requires one to scroll to the top of the thread to reveal the WB toolbar.

Contributing members have asked to have the Today's Posts function restored. Since their requests have fallen on deaf ears, I offered an alternative.

Nean
06-04-2006, 00:12
Nean

Send me a PM and tell me what you are actually trying to do and the stpes you are taking. I am confused.

No worries attroll, I'm all set! Once you put in my b-day it worked!:banana Thank you!!

Nean
06-04-2006, 00:17
Now that I'm being edjumakated, what is a Yahoo! Slurp Spider??

attroll
06-04-2006, 00:25
Alright I will work on Today Post and putting it back. I am just trying to make the navbar not so cluttered.

attroll
06-04-2006, 00:30
I found a way to stick it back in the nvabr. I put it back in the top row so that the second row of the navbar would not be so cluttered.

I am trying to keep everyone happy. I still can not believe that many insist on doing it the hard way by click on Todays Post.

Roland
06-04-2006, 00:44
Change, good or bad, usually draws attention. If that nav function has been on the toolbar for years, I can understand why some users would miss it.

That being said, I certainly agree that using NEW POSTS in conjunction with MARK ALL FORUMS READ, is a good method. But I must admit, I also use the TODAY'S POSTS button to return to threads I've already read.

Thanks for bringing the button back.

Nean
06-04-2006, 02:27
I never knew Todays Post was hard, attroll.... :o.....and I'm always going back to threads I've read, so I'm glad TP is back :o. If I could aviod the scroll up, THAT would be a dream come true :o. I submit the: < previous / TP / next>
dream :o .

Just Jeff
06-04-2006, 02:32
...so I'm glad TP is back...

Yeah - have you seen how Rock does the TP? He puts it in a ziplock, then pulls out the middle...oh wait... :D

TOW
06-04-2006, 12:50

Why would anyone want to even click on TODAYS POSTS?well i think what it comes down to is that some of us have been duly trained to do things a certain way and now the owner has come along and chaged his pattern..........if that's the way it's going to be then so be it........."waaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

attroll
06-04-2006, 13:35
The only reason why I use todays post is like Roland said. If I have already read the thread and need to go back and find something that was posted today then that is why I use it.

Other then that it is really a pain in the butt to use for anything else. Because if your using it to read new posts then you have to find out where you left off from the last time you were online. You do not have to do that with NEW POST. It takes you to the newest message you have not read.

Smile
06-04-2006, 18:21
I like Attroll's idea ;-)

TOW
06-05-2006, 17:09
I like Attroll's idea ;-)if you like it smile then i'm with ya fer sher................anything you like is okay with me sister and as far as that goes anything you want to change in the future attroll i'm with ya and you'll never hear me complain no more at all............well maybe not............well i don't know but perhaps a little bit????????...........well i guess i'm just telling a bold faced lie because i just can't seem to keep my thinking to myself...............

Smile
06-05-2006, 21:33
yeah, that happens sometimes. It's all good, that's what this board is here for....

Nean
06-06-2006, 00:18
Bottom line: WB, attroll, SGT Rock, and all those who make WB what it is - kick a$$. I spend too much time here, have too much fun, and it's all yalls fault!:D Many Mahalos