PDA

View Full Version : snowshoes, trail runners and sealskins

mldavis
06-03-2006, 12:58
Does anyone have experience with snowshoe, trailrunner, sealskins combination? Specifically looking for subjective information on the warmth of this combination and the long-term durability of sealskinz or other neoprene socks. Any comparisons between neoprene socks and VBL socks like the integral designs?

fiddlehead
06-04-2006, 00:48
I used to use sealskins. They are great but heavy. I used snowshoes from time to time but never for long distance hiking (too heavy) I ALWAYS use running shoes. Now i just use fleece socks with them which can get wet, i don't care. Just keep a dry pair for sleeping at night. I never had too much of a problem with cold feet because i always had the ability to keep moving. If you stop, that's when the trouble would begin.
But i think your idea of running shoes, with sealskins , with snowshoes would be ok as long as you realize the latter 2 are very heavy.

verber
06-04-2006, 14:47
I have used sealskinz, trail runners, and snowshoes. On nearly all trips I have found them to been pretty effective in moderate temps (above 20F). The one trip they didn't work well on was my most recent trip... the weather was very mild (30-50F) and for some reason my feet were constantly cold. I am just not sure what the problem was.

I cooler conditions I have been pretty happy with the insulated http://www.rbhdesigns.com/ thermo vapor barrier socks.

I have found that durablity of sealskinz isn't great. I think I am on my third pair after several years and I don't wear them that much. I think neoprene would be more durable since they aren't trying to keep your feet dry, just insulated. I haven't used the rbhdesigns socks enough to comment of durability.

--Mark

Moon Monster
06-05-2006, 15:42
The one trip they didn't work well on was my most recent trip... the weather was very mild (30-50F) and for some reason my feet were constantly cold. I am just not sure what the problem was.

Perhaps they were a tad too tight? My first pair coupled with thick socks underneath were tight enough to cause constriction, which interferes with blood circulation.

With any such outersock, remember to size up based on what you'd wear underneath.

I've found Sealskins to cause extra sweating also, and your sweat can cool off faster than dry feet. But, I've walked in them over wool socks right on snow and felt fine.

As for durability, I've worn mine for several hundred miles in sandals without any noticeable wear whatsoever. They do get awful funky despite washing (which has to be gentle according to the care instructions).

verber
06-05-2006, 17:34
> To tight?

Nope. Same socks I have work over the last year. In the past it has been colder and I was warmer.

> extra sweating

This is my best theory ring now... but my feet didn't feel any damper than they have on other trips.

> durability

Mine look fine, but afte 300-700 miles they started to leak.

--Mark

Alligator
06-06-2006, 10:33
Have you used the three in combination Mark? I think what mldavis is looking for is input on the combination of those three items. A light shoe with a waterproof breathable layer for use with snowshoes.

Gaitors would be a helpful addition IMO.

This setup interests me, as I have all three, but haven't had a lot of opportunity to use my snowshoes and only bring the sealskinz in the early spring and late fall. I'll have to pull my shoes out and see where the bindings sit.

verber
06-06-2006, 14:54
Have you used the three in combination Mark?

Gaitors would be a helpful addition IMO.

My answer was about using sealskinz, trail runners (inov-8 310) and snowshoes (northernlite elites). Worked fine most of the time, except the the last trip. Below around 20F I found the sealskinz not to be adaquately warm... and needed to switch to insulated vapor barrier socks.

Gaitors can be a big help... but if you are floating on the surface of the snow the vast majority of the time, and the sealskinz are sealing well, then I found gaitors weren't required.

Alligator
06-06-2006, 16:10
My bad Mark, I was scrolling around when I read that.

You say you had the same socks on the 30-50 trip, but what about the rest of your body? Same clothes? Could have been less insulation in your core sucking heat away from your feet.