PDA

View Full Version : Son and friend SOBO

jaytew
06-03-2006, 16:46
I just discovered this site and registered today (June 3, 2006). My son and his good friend graduated from college in the last couple of weeks and left two days ago for Maine (the friend's dad dropped them off at Baxter State Park early this morning). They reserved a campsite before leaving Virginia and the plan was to summit Mt. Katahdin today from their campsite on a day hike and then start their trek south on the AT tomorrow morning, June 4th. Their names are Jonathan and Brom. Jonathan is my son and Brom is his friend. I just sent an e-mail to find out how to register them on the southbound tracker, but would appreciate postings here by anyone who happens to come across them. Tell them Jonathan's dad says hi and that I am "still jealous as hell!" :)

Amigi'sLastStand
06-03-2006, 17:45
I just discovered this site and registered today (June 3, 2006). My son and his good friend graduated from college in the last couple of weeks and left two days ago for Maine (the friend's dad dropped them off at Baxter State Park early this morning). They reserved a campsite before leaving Virginia and the plan was to summit Mt. Katahdin today from their campsite on a day hike and then start their trek south on the AT tomorrow morning, June 4th. Their names are Jonathan and Brom. Jonathan is my son and Brom is his friend. I just sent an e-mail to find out how to register them on the southbound tracker, but would appreciate postings here by anyone who happens to come across them. Tell them Jonathan's dad says hi and that I am "still jealous as hell!" :)

Welcome to the best AT site on the Web. I leave SOBO on a F/F from NJ Tues of next week. I'll be going REAL slow, so I'll keep my :eek: outs.

RITBlake
06-03-2006, 18:51
. Tell them Jonathan's dad says hi and that I am "still jealous as hell!" :)

You sound JUST LIKE my dad as he drove us up to Katahdin last year. He used the exact same phrase.

jaytew, check your email, I sent you some info about the tracker

Lilred
06-03-2006, 19:36
Welcome to the best AT site on the Web. I leave SOBO on a F/F from NJ Tues of next week. I'll be going REAL slow, so I'll keep my :eek: outs.

Hey Amigi,
Maybe We'll cross paths in a month or so. Keep an eye out:D

boarstone
06-04-2006, 06:10
Jaytew: I'm dropping off a resupply and checking/hiking Crawford to cooper brook trail/road crossing today. I'll leave your message at the AT sign for your folks to see. They will be thru that area in a couple of days.

jaytew
06-04-2006, 10:07
Boarstone:

Thanks very much for leaving Jonathan and Brom a little note. It should be a nice surprise for them! :)

jaytew
06-06-2006, 21:56
Amigi -- Thanks for keeping an eye out for Jonathan and Brom!

jaytew
06-06-2006, 22:10
Jonathan called home today after trying his cell phone for the first time. He gave my wife Molly his first report from the trail. He called about 4:00 PM, but unfortunately he did not say precisely or even approximately where they were on the trail. He did estimate they would make Monson within 7 days.
Brom’s dad (Mike), drove Jonathan and Brom up to Maine from Loudoun County, Virginia. They left late Thursday, June 1st and arrived in Maine about 2 ˝ hours below BSP and Mt. Katahdin at a friend of Mike’s. The friend bought plenty of beer and lamb and beef and fresh veggies, etc. and the guys gorged themselves on Friday. Mike dropped them off early Saturday morning at BSP where they had reserved a campsite for Saturday night. They were anxious to get up Katahdin and the ranger said that while the mountain was open, there was an advisory and it was up to them whether to climb or not. They decided to do it so they could start south on Sunday as planned. They left their packs on the ranger’s porch along with many packs form other hikers. Mike said the weather was about 70 at the ranger's, but Jonathan reported today that by the time they got to the summit it was freezing rain up there. They made it down Saturday afternoon, spent the night in their reserved campsite and started south on the AT Sunday. Mike reported that the ranger said 5 NOBOs arrived at Katahdin the day he dropped Brom and Jonathan off and another 10 NOBOs were said to be arriving in another day or so.

Jonathan reported today that they have yet to use the tent they brought since they have been able to hike from lean-to to lean-to thus far. They had the option to hike 8 miles to a lean-to today or go 18 miles to a different lean-to; they chose to do the 18 miles. I estimate they have probably done about 38 miles thus far, but that is a pure guess based only on confirmation that they did 18 miles today and my guess they did at least ten miles each of the first two days. Jonathan reports that they already have some stuff that they plan to ship home at the first opportunity. He asked that the first re-supply box be sent to them care of Monson Post Office, so we plan to send the first box out late tomorrow or Thursday morning. The box contains some dry soups, small fuel canisters for their JetBoil stove, tea bags, maps for the next trail sections and some paperbacks they pre-packed in the box. We also have to get some water test strips at REI for Jonathan’s Miox water treatment system to add to the re-supply box before it goes.

No word on whether they have acquired “trail names” as yet. As soon as we hear that they have been dubbed, we will let you all know. :)

Thanks to anyone who can send any progress reports on Jonathan and Brom and other 2006 SOBOs!! :sun