PDA

View Full Version : World's bravest hiker??

Shutterbug
06-04-2006, 00:03
I think I saw the world's bravest hiker. While I was in the Samburu Game Reserve in Kenya taking pictures of lions, cheeta, leopards and lots of other wild animals, I saw a man hiking thru the Game Reserve. If he had any type of gun with him, I couldn't see it. He was either the world's bravest hiker or maybe the most foolish.

I took over 7,000 pictures. There is no practical way to share them, but I have posted some on my personal web site --

http://www.davemcclung.com/album/thumbnails.php?album=35

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-04-2006, 00:21
Excellent photos. Re: the hiker - I could swear I just heard a lion belch...

Amigi'sLastStand
06-04-2006, 04:47
GREAT PICS, MAN!!!!
But I gotta tell ya, I've had a florida panther ( cougar, yeah, I know ) lay in my lap once. That wasnt bad, but a damn giraffe almost bit my hand off at Disney. And there you are, hand feeding one.
YOU ARE THE BRAVEST HIKER!

atraildreamer
10-21-2006, 07:21
I think I saw the world's bravest hiker. While I was in the Samburu Game Reserve in Kenya taking pictures of lions, cheeta, leopards and lots of other wild animals, I saw a man hiking thru the Game Reserve. If he had any type of gun with him, I couldn't see it. He was either the world's bravest hiker or maybe the most foolish.

I read years ago that the TV producer Irwin Allen (of "Flipper" and "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" fame) did the same thing as the above-mentioned hiker. He hiked without a weapon of any kind, and found that if he repected the territory of the animals, they did not bother him. If he accidentally got too close to the animal(s), they backed off to maintain some distance from him. They did not regard him as a threat, or as a potential meal.

When he repeated the experiment, carring a weapon (a hunting rifle), the animals took off when he approached. They now regarded him as a threat.

I wouldn't recommend trying this with a grizzly.

refreeman
10-21-2006, 08:20
Completely beautiful pictures, thank you Shutterbug ;)

Furlough
10-22-2006, 12:13
Great Photos.

Here is an entry for the Worlds Bravest Hiker.

Rory Stewart. This guy hiked across Afghanistan starting in the Winter , while fighting is still on going. Below is a short review of his book "The Places in Between"
“In January 2002 Rory Stewart hikeded across Afghanistan -- surviving by his wits, his knowledge of Persian dialects and Muslim customs, and the kindness of strangers. Along the way Stewart met heroes and rogues, tribal elders and teenage soldiers, Taliban commanders and foreign-aid workers. He was also adopted by an unexpected companion -- a retired fighting mastiff he named Babur in honor of Afghanistan's first Mughal emperor, in whose footsteps the pair was following.”