PDA

View Full Version : REAL Trail Tricks -- nothing obvious

Amigi'sLastStand
06-04-2006, 01:50
We have a thread about tricks that has gotten a little lost. Also, most of the tricks are fine, but too many repeats, and a lot ( no offense ) aren't real tricky.

Fiddlehead got me thinking about this and his tooth paste trick. I'll let him post it.

So, please, only real esoteric or supercool tricks.

Mine is ( this is safe, though not doctors agree ) to use super glue on minor cuts after they have been cleaned thoroughly. Super glue is not toxic at all. I mean, dont eat it, but it is chemically safe and will close most small wounds until they heal. Your regenerating still pushed out the super glue. I have done this countless times on myself and others. The long term effects are hardly noticeable. (Just kidding). It is totally safe. I've even heard that the stuff was invented for just this use.

Or, if you get a little food poisoning, you can each some charcoal from a WOOD fire. Hold it down as long as you can, then vomit. Again, totally safe.

So, please list only the real rare ones here. Save the other thread for the obvious. AND NO WIVES TALES. No concrete proof, please dont list it.
No mustard on burns theories.....

Just Jeff
06-04-2006, 02:51
I read that normal superglue has cyanide in it - not harmful for occasional use, but certainly not something you want to patch up your gladiator with or anything. Apparently the military uses something similar but safer...which means we paid 4x the price so they could take out the cyanide, or the lowest bidder relabeled it and didn't change anything. Maybe both.

I don't remember if I posted this on the other thread or not. Eat wood charcoal to regulate your bowels. White if you're tight, black if you're slack. i.e. eat the white charcoal if you're constipated and it'll loosen you up, and eating the black charcoal will help with diarrhea. I've never actually used it, but they taught it to use in SERE. Same folks that said adding insulation to your sleeping bag (clothing) makes you colder - so take it for what it's worth! (and let's not rehash the sleeping in clothing debate again, pls)

Amigi'sLastStand
06-04-2006, 03:18
I read that normal superglue has cyanide in it - not harmful for occasional use, but certainly not something you want to patch up your gladiator with or anything. Apparently the military uses something similar but safer...which means we paid 4x the price so they could take out the cyanide, or the lowest bidder relabeled it and didn't change anything. Maybe both.

I don't remember if I posted this on the other thread or not. Eat wood charcoal to regulate your bowels. White if you're tight, black if you're slack. i.e. eat the white charcoal if you're constipated and it'll loosen you up, and eating the black charcoal will help with diarrhea. I've never actually used it, but they taught it to use in SERE. Same folks that said adding insulation to your sleeping bag (clothing) makes you colder - so take it for what it's worth! (and let's not rehash the sleeping in clothing debate again, pls)
I was hoping you would catch this thread with that bit of knowledge. I learned all the charcoal tricks in SERE, also. Like charcoal under your eyes like football players. Seems obvious, but you see SO many people squinting all day after having broken their Oakleys. Well, at least in Florida.

That's the kind of thing I'm looking for for this thread. Keep em coming. Rocks gotta have a few. Same with Fiddlehead, the Dinos, LWolf.... So lets hear em.

swift
06-04-2006, 07:42
Okayyyyy.
Duct tape is a very popular item on the trail, I carry some myself. It seems to me most times however, that even the high-quality brands don't stay on long enough or wear through too fast. The makers of Gorilla Glue have come out with Gorilla Tape, a duct tape on steroids. The material and the glue both are twice as thick as the best duct tape and also the glue is a stronger concoction. I haven't had a chance to trail-test it yet but I've been using it on the jobsite and there is a significant difference in durability.

If you are having issues with duct tape, blister patches, or surgical tape staying on a reasonable amount of time get yourself some TINCTURE OF BENZION, sold at most pharmacies. Even better if you know a nurse or doctor ask them to get you some single-use crush campules, 0.6 ml. Clean area with alcohol then apply the tincture. The surgical tape in particular is permanent, it will not come off until your skin does.