PDA

View Full Version : Resupplying in Hiawassee

kaminskyp
06-04-2006, 21:20
Im starting the trail on June 10th at amicalola and Im trying to decide the best place to resupply along the way. Im only going to be on the trail for 14 days, so I thought that Id resupply once along the way. From what I can tell the best place would be at Hiawassee. What travel options do I have to get into town, considering I dont want to stay at a hotel or hostel? Also, does anyone know if I need to make any reservations or get any permits? I think the farthest I would possibly go is the smokey national park.

Skidsteer
06-04-2006, 21:32
Im starting the trail on June 10th at amicalola and Im trying to decide the best place to resupply along the way. Im only going to be on the trail for 14 days, so I thought that Id resupply once along the way. From what I can tell the best place would be at Hiawassee. What travel options do I have to get into town, considering I dont want to stay at a hotel or hostel? Also, does anyone know if I need to make any reservations or get any permits? I think the farthest I would possibly go is the smokey national park.

No permits needed in GA.

http://appalachiantrailservices.com/index.php?env=-inlink/index:m253-1-1-1-s&reset=1

Wonder
06-04-2006, 21:34
I'm in Hiawassee right now, and I can say that it is a good resupply year round. The town itself is ten miles from the trail.....and usually an easy hitch. The shame is the 2 hostels here are closed to hikers now. BUT, the Haiwassee Inn is open and I see them running shuttles to the trail head almost everyday....so there are still hikers coming thru. I think that they run non-guest shuttles as well. You don't need any permits until the smokeys, and even there, it is self registration. Good luck, and enjoy your hike!!

Smile
06-04-2006, 22:20
You can go into the Ingles, resupply and hike back out. About a mile or so NOBO from the hwy there is a campsite, but I'd hike further in for safety .

Nightwalker
06-06-2006, 01:06
You can go into the Ingles, resupply and hike back out. About a mile or so NOBO from the hwy there is a campsite, but I'd hike further in for safety .
It's a great campsite, right on top of a hill. I've stayed there twice.

Why the 'safety' warning?

Smile
06-06-2006, 08:07
Within a mile of a road, I believe. Please correct me if I am wrong ;-)

Nightwalker
06-06-2006, 19:07
Within a mile of a road, I believe. Please correct me if I am wrong ;-)
No, pretty much exactly a mile from the road, but I still don't understand the warning. Afraid of banjo-wielding rednecks or sumpin'? The Hiawasseeans are ridiculously nice!

:)

Ewker
06-06-2006, 22:06
which road are you two talking about?

Skidsteer
06-06-2006, 22:13
which road are you two talking about?

U.S. 76, Dick's Creek Gap.

http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/index.php?env=-inlink/index:m25-1-1-1-s&reset=1

Smile
06-06-2006, 22:18
Just a good rule of thumb IMO
Hiawasee is a great town - good Sushi, and Thai too! Yum!

Ewker
06-06-2006, 23:23
thanks Skid, I didn't know if they were talking about that one or hwy 75 going towards Unicoi Gap