Mountainsmith Wisp Sleeping Bag

Reviewer Information

Name: The Solemate(s)
Height: 6’4” (1.93 m)
Weight: 210 lbs (95.25 kg)
Email address: [email protected]
City: Memphis
Date: September 22, 2005

Backpacking Background: Son to a father who always took his boy on camping trips, ever since I can remember, my dad and I backpacked near my childhood home at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in the Carolinas. We found adventures in the high mountain peaks and low valley streams of the southern Appalachians. At least once a month we would take trips to the nearby Smokies, Nantahalas, and Chattooga River. Despite my continuous rambling and the fact that I now reside in West Tennessee, I still call this area “home” because after all home is where your heart is, and mine is definitely in the mountains.

Since then, I have logged thousands of miles throughout North America. From 1998 to 2002, I section hiked from GA to ME along the Appalachian Trail (AT). Then, in 2004, my wife and I thru-hiked the AT. Our current goal is to bag the highest point in all 50 states in 5 years. I have hiked the Foothills Trail (SC) 3 times, the Resurrection Pass Trail (AK) twice, the Ozark Highlands Trail (AR), the Bartram Trail (GA/NC), and portions of the Mountains-to-Sea Trail (NC), Laurel Highlands Trail (PA), and Ozark Trail (MO). Other trips have led me to Denali National Park (AK), the Grand Canyon (AZ), Yosemite National Park (CA), and the Whites (NH) of New England. I have also done extensive hiking in upstate SC, the Ozarks (AR), Pisgah National Forest (NC), Mount Rogers National Recreation Area (VA), and the Roan Highlands (TN). I have hiked in all forms of weather from -15ºF to +120ºF, but prefer a nice autumn stroll.

Product Information

Manufacturer: Mountainsmith
Year of Manufacture: 2004
Company URL: http://www.mountainsmith.com/msmith.html
Listed Weight (size Long): 1 lb, 5 oz. (595.34 g)
Listed Weight (size Regular): 1lb, 3 oz. (538.64 g) (not tested, for reference only)
Weight as Delivered (size Long): 1 lb, 4.8 oz. (589.67 g) (includes stuff sack)
Internal Length (size Long): 78 inches (1.98 m)
Stuffed Size (size Long): 9” x 12.5” (22.86 cm x 31.75 cm)
Temperature Rating: 30 ºF (-1.10 ºC)
Fill Weight: 750-fill down

Zipper Length: 3/4
Zipper Location: Right Side
Color: Black with Yellow Accents
Cost: $149 USD (bought on Clearance in 2005 from www.backcountrygear.com (http://www.backcountrygear.com))

Initial Report

I wanted a new lightweight bag within this temperature range, as the one I was using (The North Face Cat’s Meow) was over 10 years old, weighed way too much, and even though it was rated for 15 ºF (-9 ºC), it was barely kept me warm at 30ºF (-1 ºC). The Wisp was delivered promptly from backcountrygear after I had ordered it online. I was pleased with the service. It arrived unprotected in a cardboard box, so it was a good thing I was not too rough opening it with my knife. The Wisp came with a white cotton sack for stowing while not on the trail, and with a small yellow sil-nylon stuff sack. As a first impression, the bag looked similar to a large Hefty Trash bag, and I was first worried about its durability. Mountainsmith states they have a lifetime warranty policy, but hopefully I will have no need for that. Another first thought was that there was no way this sleeping bag would fit in this small of a stuff sack!

One of the main reasons I purchased this bag was for its incredible light weight. So, the first thing I did was to retrieve my digital postal scale to weigh it. I was amazed that it registered just under the manufacturer’s listed weight, as past gear items I have weighed are always higher than what the manufacturer reports.

My next step was to climb into the bag and try out the comfort factor. Despite being cut a tad bit smaller than most bags, I did not feel claustrophobic or constrained in any way, and I am a big guy. The puffy down seemed very cushiony for only 750-fill, and I was particularly pleased with the presence of a good sized draft collar and hood. A draw cord is used to cinch it close to your face, and is secured via a Velcro closure mechanism on the opposing side.

Before purchasing, I was a little apprehensive about having a bag with only a ¾-length zipper, but after playing with it a while it was not very difficult at all to get in and out of the bag. The zipper did, however, tend to get caught on the lengthwise draft collar and it took careful attention to zip the bag snag-free. This is probably my number one concern with the bag because I have to give special notice to not catching the zipper and thus ripping the draft collar. An extra piece of material surrounding the zipper would only add an ounce or two and would perhaps provide adequate protection. I believe this to be a better design, as I have seen it in a few sleeping bags before.

I then began stuffing the bag into its stuff sack, and watched as it seemed to disappear! At only cantaloupe size, I can now reduce my pack load further by getting a smaller pack. I put it into my 3800 cubic inch pack, and it seemed as if nothing was in the bottom.

Field Report

I have taken the Wisp on two recent trips and I am quite pleased with the range of comfort it provides at a wide variety of temperature ranges.

This past May I took it to the Roan Highlands of Tennessee as I walked the Appalachian Trail into “Trail Days.” Nighttime temperatures ranged from around 40 ºF (4 ºC) to 55 ºF (13 ºC) on my 2-night, 48-mile trip and I never once got hot nor cold. Like most sleeping bags, I felt that I could adjust the amount I had it zipped up to acclimate to my surroundings. As aforementioned, zipping and unzipping the bag took some getting used to, especially in the half-asleep state during the night. I had enough stretch room while sitting up in the bag to perform camp duties such as cooking, packing, and reading. And since I am a side sleeper, I was also able to toss and turn from one side to the other throughout the night with relative ease.

In September, my wife and I took a trip to California to climb Mount Whitney. We spent one night at Whitney Portal (elev. 8300 ft./2530 m), where nighttime temperatures were around 40 ºF (4 ºC), and one night at Trail Camp (elev. 12,000 ft./3658 m), where nighttime temperatures hovered just below the freezing mark and strong winds were present throughout the night. One disadvantage of the lightweight 750-fill down and thin outer shell that I became aware of was that it provided little wind protection. As I was laying up reading at Trail Camp, I could feel small pockets of air penetrating through the bag’s outer shell and reaching my body. We were in a tent, so I imagine this effect would be heightened if camping using a breezy tarp or hammock. I never did get cold, however, and I believe that these extreme conditions in no way pushed the bag’s temperature rating limit. I believe that I could still be comfortable at 25 ºF (-4 ºC) and I consider myself a “normal sleeper” as far as body heat regulation is concerned.

Summary

The Mountainsmith Wisp sleeping bag is an excellent lightweight bag for three season backpacking. I feel that the temperature rating is appropriate. Like most lightweight gear, however, there is a tradeoff between long-term durability and weight, and careful attention should be given to ensure that the bag is operable for years to come.

Pluses

 Lightweight
 Very compact
 Appropriate temperature rating
 Lifetime warranty

Minuses

 Zipper snags easily
 Zipper durability
 Thin outer shell lets wind through

h2ojunkie
07-27-2006, 20:53
I would recomend