PDA

View Full Version : seam sealing

baerbelleksa
06-05-2006, 11:32
any tips? best way to do it? i've got a tarptent.

Alligator
06-05-2006, 11:38
Buying the expensive stuff is not necessary. Someone else will get the formula right after me, but you can cut I think it's silicon caulk with gasoline and brush on? Please wait until someone follows up, I haven't done this yet.

Footslogger
06-05-2006, 11:48
Actually, mineral spirits works pretty well as a cutting agent with the regular GE silicon. I used roughly a 50/50 mixture. Poured it into the barrel of a 60 cc syringe and then just laid down a thin bead along the seam line. Best if you spread the seam apart a little to allow the sealant to sink in. For some spots I used a little 1/2" foam paint brush and just smooothed it onto to the tent seam.

Just don't try and do the entire tent all at once. My suggestion would be to pick one seam and lay it out as smoothly as possible and do it completely. Let that one dry and then move on to another. Generally the seams won't all lay out smoothly at the same time and if you try to manipulate the tent around while the sealant is still wet you might end up with a mess on your hands (and on your tarptent).

'Slogger

Fiddler
06-05-2006, 11:57
Like Slogger said. But be sure to use the clear silicone and not the colored stuff.

Roland
06-05-2006, 16:15
any tips? best way to do it? i've got a tarptent.
Pasted below are seam-sealing instructions found on the Tarptent website.

Q: Do Tarptents need to be seam-sealed?
A: Yes, it's a good idea to seal the the seams along the rear arc and the pullouts to protect the stitching. The ridgeline seam can also be sealed but has proven to be extremely water resistant without sealant. Silicone is the only material that will stick to the fabric. Urethane sealer will flake off. An inexpensive product that works well is GE Silicone II clear sealer/glue. It is available as a squeeze tube in most US hardware stores or in the Tarptent Store (http://www.tarptent.com/cgi-bin/surfshop/shop.cgi?searchtext=silicone+sealer&c=search.htm&storeid=1&categories=&Submit=Go%21). Set up the tent ouside in a in a well-ventilated location. Mix about a tablespoon of silicone with a couple of tablespoons of mineral spirits(paint thinner) and then apply the solution with a small foam brush. Add more mineral spirits if the solution gets too thick. Avoid skin contact and breathing fumes.

If you don't care to mix your own sealant, you can purchase SilNET (http://www2.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=88645&memberId=12500226) from your local outfitter. Do not use a urethane sealer on silicone impregnated nylon.

mweinstone
06-05-2006, 16:51
set up tent tight as can be. put on respirator.seal using seam sealer full streangth with opening in tube.wait. do outside. one coat only .the myths in this area are strong. no tent leaks thru the seams when new. period.sealing is to exstend the waterproofness of seams because they are the weak spot in the construction. remember,never cut seam sealer with thinners or any thing else. never two coat seams. never listen to anyone else on this topic. cutting sealer with the approved thinning agent or adding approved dryers are for non camping applications of this product. sealing seams allows the waterproofness of the seam to match and last as long as the waterproofness of the fabric. if anyone disputes these facts,wright a leter to any manufacturer and ask. the instructions on the sealer are abreviated,are for general seam sealind and repairing and simply are not all there is to know about the subject.

mweinstone
06-05-2006, 17:00
never seal anything witch isnt new.any dirt or residue makes the sealer fail in short order. also ,sealind seams or resealing seams on old gear does two things. it makes the seam work but does nothing for the fabric witch should be replaced if the seams leak on an old tent witch was sealed propperly when new. so only ever seal once when new in the life of a garment or tent. also,sealer doesnt stick well to old sealer. its made to work on fabric and thread. not on sealer.these rules only apply if you demand waterproofness. of course lathering the ***** all over with a stick works to a degree.im just really into being what i call,..nasa shuttle launch ready. it means that before i thru hike my gear into dust i like to start with the best stuff in primest condition.cause im sick like dat!