PDA

View Full Version : Wet trail and blowdowns-June '06

TJ aka Teej
06-05-2006, 15:41
Hi MEGAs,

Recent ports from hikers and maintainers say the Trail between Gorham and Baxter is very wet, often under water, with high swift fords, and an amazing amount of blowdowns. Prepare for the need to take considerable extra time covering distances.

The second (south) plank bridge as you enter/leave Baxter is still out, and will not be replaced. The ford is about 50 yards upstream from where the bridge was. If you have a map, there is an obscure high water trail that skips the two plank bridges that becomes obvious when looked for.

rambunny
06-06-2006, 07:40
We've been up Old Blue doing blow downs and the MATC maintainers have been to Hall Mt. and back, the trail from East B to Grafton is good. Best of luck class of 2006. See you at The Cabin.

Tramper Al
06-06-2006, 10:57
The second (south) plank bridge as you enter/leave Baxter is still out, and will not be replaced. The ford is about 50 yards upstream from where the bridge was. If you have a map, there is an obscure high water trail that skips the two plank bridges that becomes obvious when looked for.
TJ,
You don't mean the (substantial) bridges that are actually near the park boundary, do you? You mean those couple way up along Nesowadnehunk Stream (and over it's tributaries), yes? And which map shows this high water trail? I'm curious.

TJ aka Teej
06-06-2006, 12:42
TJ,
You don't mean the (substantial) bridges that are actually near the park boundary, do you? You mean those couple way up along Nesowadnehunk Stream (and over it's tributaries), yes? And which map shows this high water trail? I'm curious.
Dear Curious:
Yup, the two plank bridges that were held to trees with chains at the old Park boundry (the T3R10 T2R10 line). The second (south) plank was out all last year and won't be replaced. I don't know first hand if the first (north) plank survived the winter, but if you do cross on that one, you're 'stuck' having to ford where the second one is out. No high-water trail marked on the MATC 1 map, but the trail is obvious at the double blaze onto that first plank. Maybe I was thinking 'if you have a map you can see where to go...) Hikers with a map can easily see where to skip around, and I expect a 'herd path' will be evident soon enough. Jensen Bissell, the new director, told me a few weeks ago that he had been over the hike-around recently and he didn't find it hard to follow.

Footslogger
06-06-2006, 12:45
We've been up Old Blue doing blow downs and the MATC maintainers have been to Hall Mt. and back, the trail from East B to Grafton is good. Best of luck class of 2006. See you at The Cabin.
============================
Glad to hear that ...cuz we'll be through there the first week of July.

'Slogger

Maineiac
06-07-2006, 10:53
Most of the trail maintainers try to get out and get the blowdowns removed by Memorial Day weekend - there are (as always) a few exceptions to this. Maine has had a lot of rain ths spring, thus the stream crossings will be more difficult than you would find in a more normal (has Maine ever had one of these??) year.

I have been out and maintained my section and have to go again to do some more clipping and blazing. A note from personal experience: the blowdowns were terrible this year (as are the black flies) but I thought the water was higher last year.

mdionne
06-07-2006, 11:10
A note from personal experience: the blowdowns were terrible this year (as are the black flies) but I thought the water was higher last year.

Funny you mentioned the black flies, I was just did the loop trail at Aroostook SP the other day and in some places the black flies were so numerous I spent most of my time trying to keep them out of my eyes (let alone landing on my hands and neck).

Chef2000
06-10-2006, 11:57
Early LT hikers are reporting as many as 20 blowdowns on the AT/LT between Governor clement and Kilington peak.

oruoja
06-11-2006, 20:18
I am seven miles west of Camel's Hump (LT) and so far the black flies have not been a problem, but it has rained 33 of the last 38 days and I assume even if the weather were to improve it would take several weeks before the mud situation improves. Heard from a friend who lives in southern VT that the gypsy moth problem there is escalating and many areas will probably suffer from defoliation.

Mr. Clean
06-12-2006, 06:34
Funny. While I've found the blowdowns to be really bad this year, I can't say that the blackflies have bothered me. Maybe I smell really bad when I'm doing trailwork? :-?