PDA

View Full Version : Tent Advice???

Prosseroo
06-05-2006, 16:29
I'm rather specific on what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a good 1.5 man tent. I want something just big enough to hold me and my pack in it so we can both ride out any storms I may face next year on the trail. It doesn't have to be freestanding, but I do really want full mosquito netting. So I think that rules out the tarp tents, unless there are some out there with netting. And I don't really like hammocks, so that rules them out.:-?

Thanks

bigcranky
06-05-2006, 16:30
The Tarptent Virga 2. It has full bug netting and a floor, for about 30 ounces total weight. You could also look at the Tarptent Rainbow.

www.tarptent.com

mweinstone
06-05-2006, 16:40
my mega mid lite is 4 man at 2lbs 11 oz.

kyhipo
06-05-2006, 16:55
kelty darts and some of their other tents are good tents for the price and also have good spacing.ky

mtnbums2000
06-05-2006, 17:00
Like Bigcranky said check out www.tarptent.com they sould have anything you are looking for with protection from the bugs and most come in at under 2 lbs.

The Solemates
06-05-2006, 17:10
mtn hrdwr waypoint

stag3
06-06-2006, 09:53
My Texsport weighs less than 3 pounds, cost $30, has bug netting and doesn't leak. But, my HH is much better:D

wilderness bob
06-06-2006, 10:10
I carry the Big Agnus Seed House. Free standing, light weight and has full bug netting. When choosing a tent these were important to me plus two other features. First I wanted to be able to get dressed in it, it is tall enough to do so. Second, is it something that I could spend the day in, and it was (Hurrican Catrina came through while I was on the Mahoosic Arm). It was well worth the cost and I plan on usind it on the PCT next year. WB

EarlyBird2007
06-06-2006, 10:42
Tarptent Squall2 with floor. 35 oz. including floor. Has mosquito netting. Just the right size for me, my gear and Socks the wonder dog.

bignasty
06-06-2006, 16:26
I'm with wilderness bob on the big agnus. The seedhouse SL1 (super light) is my favorite for all the reasons mentioned above, but also because of the double wall construction with the tent wall being light weight breathable mesh. With this in mind condensation is never a problem unlike many tight squeeze single walled tents. If you think condensation isn't a factor borrow a friends bivy sack and by morning you'll see what i mean.

the_iceman
07-02-2006, 20:10
I went for the extra room and got the "2" man which his really that 1.5 man you are looking for. It is only 9 oz more than the SL1. Freestanding, roomy. Can sleep 2 in a pinch..

Weight is 2 lb 14 oz. You can set it up wit hjust the foot print and fly to save weight.

Iceman

bearbag hanger
07-02-2006, 23:25
Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo - 1 lb 8 oz.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=36

Meets all the needs you listed and lighter than most.

hustler
07-02-2006, 23:59
I would check out the Mountain Hardware Waypoint One. It is roomy and fairly light, and seems to always be on sale.

hikerjohnd
07-03-2006, 08:37
Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo - 1 lb 8 oz.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=36

Meets all the needs you listed and lighter than most.

I use the Europa (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=40) myself, but either of Ron's tents would be ideal. The Europa is roomy enough to sit up in and if you're tentbound for a day you can really stretch out and relax. I do like the Lunar Solo's side entry and have been considering it for some time now. A tarptent is definitely the way to go for roominess and less weight. Both Tarptent and Six Moon Designs offer excellent customer service so no matter which you choose you will not go wrong.

Ridge
07-03-2006, 16:54
I use a Walrus Swift, they also had a Micro Swift (a little smaller) the Swift is a 1.5 person absolute BOMB PROOF lightweight tent. The famous Walrus brand got bought by MSR which have changed things a bit. Their ZOID line resembles the old Swift. I have never had a better tent to keep me dry, stayed in the sucker for 3.5 days during a tropical depression in Fla one time. I really like the full netting and the secure rain-fly it has.

DGG
07-03-2006, 21:06
Expensive, but it will definitely fit your bill: roomy vestibule (plenty of space for your pack), pretty light (3 lbs. and a few ounces), outstanding in wind. For excellent pictures (& service), have a look at: http://www.backcountry-equipment.com/tents/hilleberg_akto.php

hikerjohnd
07-03-2006, 22:07
Expensive, but it will definitely fit your bill: roomy vestibule (plenty of space for your pack), pretty light (3 lbs. and a few ounces), outstanding in wind. For excellent pictures (& service), have a look at: http://www.backcountry-equipment.com/tents/hilleberg_akto.php

I saw my first one of these at Trail Days 2005. Very cool tent design - but pricy and heavy IMO. I have never seen one in the field so I wonder how popular they really are...

MedicineMan
07-03-2006, 22:53
but i got mine down to 2.3 pounds with a Fibraplex pole and removal of the OEM lines and subbed with Triptease and removed the labels, and subbed the metal stays built in with carbon.
If you want bombproof/4season/high wind tent then the Akto is for you but expect to spend a lot for it...with the Kerlon fabric it should last a lifetime.
The design is ingenious, will sleep 2 if cozy, has plenty of room for pack in the vestibule and for cooking (though obviously for the lawers not recommended)....the only problem with the Akto is the fact that the guylines (though all of them are only needed if you are above treeline with 40mph wind) take up real estate. I was last in mine at Bears Den 2 months ago, preferring to hammock, but for tents its nice.....we'll see how the Double Rainbow compares hopefully next week though its not advertised as four season....oh, one more thing on the akto, if you dont expect bugs you can drop the inner tent for even more room, and it sets up in a way that prevents the inner from getting wet even in a down pour.

Ridge
07-04-2006, 01:20
I like the looks of the Akto and the tent in-a tent kinda thing. I just wonder about blowing rain and breath-ability. Also, whats the floor made of on the inner-tent. I'd have to look real close at it before shelling out the big bucks. On my Swift I use tarp clips and cordage to secure my fly for the winter and high winds.

MedicineMan
07-04-2006, 01:34
in an akto? if it is button up it is not a concern....floor material? that i cant say with certainty but problably a coated kerlon...condensation? never had a problem personally

Ridge
07-04-2006, 02:09
Yea, I can see it can be sealed up good, I guess since there is no floor for the outer tent you can get enough air circulating to keep condensate down. I'll check this tent out if I can find someone in Atlanta selling it, I doubt REI will carry this tent.

VictoriaM
07-05-2006, 22:22
I have a Eureka Spitfire. I'm not sure if you can find them new anymore, though. It's 2lb 12oz (and I'll be switching the stakes for something lighter soon to shave a bit) and I really love it.

hikerjohnd
07-05-2006, 22:44
I have a Eureka Spitfire. I'm not sure if you can find them new anymore, though. It's 2lb 12oz (and I'll be switching the stakes for something lighter soon to shave a bit) and I really love it.

A buddy of mine has a Spitfire (I can not get him into a tarp tent) and loves it. Solid construction and roomy enough for him and gear. His only complaint is the tiny vestibule, but if rain is in the forecast, he puts his pack under the fly on the opposite side of the tent from the vestibule.

karo
07-05-2006, 23:04
I just purchased an Alps Montaineering tent from REI Outlet in a one man version:
http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/47901143.htm?vcat=OUTLET_SSHP_CAMPING_HIKING_SA
REI also has the 1.5 and 2.0 versions:
http://www.rei.com/outlet/category/29340996.htm?vcat=OUTLET_SSHP_CAMPING_HIKING_SA
They are both light weight and affordable and I have used mine twice and am well pleased with mine.