PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Gregory Bald

Rockjock
06-05-2006, 17:00
For anyone who has hiked to Gregory Bald fromthe Cades Cove side in GSMNP, which is preferable. To hike up Gregory Ridge and over to the Bald then down Gregory Bald Trail to Parson Branch road and back to the parking area or to do the reverse. I will be staying at CS#13.

Thanks for the input
Rock

Repeat
06-05-2006, 18:33
The Gregory Bald Trail is well graded, mostly up, not to steep. Parson's Branch Road has been closed for 3 or 4 years now due to storm damage. I checked yesterday and the recording said the road is still closed.

TIDE-HSV
06-08-2006, 11:43
a real shame. Not only is that road very helpful for several routes, it's just a neat drive...

Ewker
06-08-2006, 13:27
CS#13 is closed due to bears

Rockjock
06-08-2006, 14:56
Yup trip is cancelled because they called me Monday to let me know they had cancelled my permit and closed the campsite for at least 6 weeks. I think I am switching over to an up and down loop from Cades Cove down Rabbit Creek then over to Beard Cane than back up to Cades Cove. Oh well maybe next year.

And about the road well its been closed for probably about three years or so I can't remember exactly which storm took it out but its a nice 4 mile +/- walk from the parking area to the TH for Hannah Mtn and Gregory Bald.

Rock

springerfever
06-17-2006, 20:34
Just returned yesterday from Gregory Bald. First time I have been there. Pretty impressive but the azaleas are just starting to flower. Should be at max in a couple of weeks. Incredible variety of colors....

I took the Gregory Ridge trail up to the bald. And when I say up...I MEAN UP ! I was pretty whipped after completing the 5.5 miles. Yes, the Parson Branch Road is closed so unless you want to hike 4 miles to the Gregory Bald trailhead, then 4.5 to the Bald, it is out of the question.

There are signs stating #13 is closed due to bear activity, but there is a campsite #12 that is open with good water. And you will need the water to stay hydrated to the top. It is a 3000 ft altitute gain over the 5.5 miles from the trailhead. If you want to do the AT from Fontana Dam, Gregory Bald is, I believe, about four miles from Shuckstack tower.