PDA

View Full Version : where to intersect thru-hikers weekend of July 1st to 4th?

1Pint
06-05-2006, 17:36
Any guesses as to good spots to try and cross paths with some of this year's thru-hikers? I'm planning to try it next year and would love to chat with some people in the midst of their journey. Due to the July 4th holiday, I can string together a couple of days off to drive from Ohio to the trail, get in a little hiking and get back to work before they even know I'm gone. I'd love to hear your suggestions. Thanks!

Footslogger
06-05-2006, 17:39
Lots of northbound thru-hikers are in or near Harpers Ferry on the 4th of July.

'Slogger

Ridge
06-05-2006, 19:27
I agree with Footslogger, although some hikers are there now. I'd say HF and maybe a few more places north of there.

Kevin A. Boyce
06-05-2006, 19:49
I am sure a safe bet would be anywhere between the NJ/PA border to the NY/CT, we do our work weekend/hiker feed the second weekend in July for that reason, we usually get between 20-30 folks a night, maybe more for lunch if they are just cruising through. We post a sign usually so the NOBO's know that we are there and that usually gets us traffic.

Some thrus have already passed by the past few days even (at the RPH Shelter), but they are the early group, it will be a trickle for another two weeks before the bigger crowds start to wander through.

Catch you on the trail...
KevBoy

Pacific Tortuga
06-05-2006, 20:09
Is Pen-Mar park a good spot or are there too many picnic baskets to yogi already?

Moxie00
06-05-2006, 20:26
I listened to the fireworks at Front Royal Virginia on the 4th of July from the comfort of Tom Floyd Wayside shelter. Alot of hikers were with me but we all were late starters, pretty near the end of the pack. Most of us made Katahdin by October but those more than a week behind us didn't. I think Harpers Ferry is a good bet but a better bet might be The War Corespondents Memorial, about a day north of Harpers Ferry. Bring a cooler of soda, a few cans of beer and a big bag of apples and you will have no problem meeting and talking to thru hikers.

emerald
06-05-2006, 22:08
Not sure where the heaviest concentration might be found that weekend. Probably anywhere between Waynesboro, VA and Connecticut, you'd have a good chance of bumping into some.

Since it's close to your home, offers scenery, history, hiking, an opportunity to visit ATC's headquarters and quite likely those thru-hikers you'd like to meet, Harpers Ferry should be high on your list of places to consider. You might meet up with some thru-hikers at ATC, but a still better bet would be the hostels between Front Royal and there.

At the end of their day, they would probably be more receptive to talking with you for an extended period of time. That's why I recommend the hostels as opposed to other places easily accessible by car.

Of course the best place of all to get information on thru-hiking and to meet thru-hikers is The Gathering on October 13-15 at Pipestem, WV.

1Pint
06-06-2006, 08:17
Thanks for all the suggestions! Can't wait to pull out the maps and start working on the trip.